Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    So is the situation with Rourke that he is now part of the Jacksonville Jaguars as the third string quarterback? I guess there is a chance that he might get some playing time this season. But I have to wonder how long would a player of his calibre be wiling to sit on the sidelines, even if it is with an NFL team. As others have noted, a competitive player wants to play no matter what and I think Rourke is that type of player. So I can see him giving it a couple of seasons, but if he doesn't get a real chance to play, he may consider returning to the CFL where he would be star!

And Kelly, don't discount that he likes the Argo management and the team. He himself has also mentioned that he has fallen in love with a local Canadian girl, so he seems to be settled and happy here - so that does count for something!!
    The Rourke situation reminds me a little of Ricky Ray's. Ray went to the NFL in 2004 and spent that year on the New York Jets' PR. He then considered that he wouldn't see playing time or a rise in the ranks anytime soon and so he asked for his release to return to the CFL. I can see the same thing happening with Rourke - and I have to believe that it's killing him not being able to play in BC this season - although I can see Rourke giving it another year before he comes back north, assuming that he doesn't have a big breakthrough.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Yeah I agree - I can see Rourke willing to stick it out with the NFL for this season and next, but you'd have to wonder how many years he'd be willing to sit on a roster in the NFL, rather than play 1st string somewhere in CFL>

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    In a hypothetical Bills situation, I doubt they would want a guy who thinks he’s better than Allen.
    But if Allen continues to suck for the rest of the season, what do you do next year if you’re the Bills?

I think the Bills are the only team Kelly would consider leaving for, so if Allen turns his game around as he likely will, then there will be no possible opening for Kelly anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    But if Allen continues to suck for the rest of the season, what do you do next year if you’re the Bills?

I think the Bills are the only team Kelly would consider leaving for, so if Allen turns his game around as he likely will, then there will be no possible opening for Kelly anyway.
    Kelly isn't going to the Bills, and Allen hasn't sucked. The Bills are losing because they have a defence that lost 3 key starters and can't make any stops when it matters. Allen's only bad game was week 1 against the Jets, but that D of the Jets has made a lot of QB's have bad games this season, including Mahommes.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Rourke situation reminds me a little of Ricky Ray's. Ray went to the NFL in 2004 and spent that year on the New York Jets' PR. He then considered that he wouldn't see playing time or a rise in the ranks anytime soon and so he asked for his release to return to the CFL. I can see the same thing happening with Rourke - and I have to believe that it's killing him not being able to play in BC this season - although I can see Rourke giving it another year before he comes back north, assuming that he doesn't have a big breakthrough.
    Different situation between Rourke and Kelly. Rourke is 4 years younger and hasn't been with 3 teams down there already. I don't believe Rourke is coming back to the CFL, but if he does, I don't see it before 2026. He will give it at least 2 more years down there. We love Ray too, but fact is, as accurate as he was, not a cannon of an arm, and no mobility. Rourke has a stronger arm and can run.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I can't see any NFL team signing Kelly after this game, not simply because of his poor performance, but also he seemed to lose all his confidence and panicked as the game wore on, not something a NFL team would want in a signee.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agree. It's the first time he started in a big game and he failed miserably. Incredibly bad and I'm a huge Chad Kelly supporter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I can't see any NFL team signing Kelly after this game, not simply because of his poor performance, but also he seemed to lose all his confidence and panicked as the game wore on, not something a NFL team would want in a signee.
    I agree, but this is the silver lining in this shocking loss. If he had gone 450-5-0 both in this game and the Cup too, the chances of him bolting in January would have been much higher.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I would gladly give up winning the Cup this year if it guaranteed Kelly would be here for 3+ more years. He truly stunk the joint out last night, but I still believe he will be a superstar in this league.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-12-2023 at 12:34 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree, but this is the silver lining in this shocking loss. If he had gone 450-5-0 both in this game and the Cup too, the chances of him bolting in January would have been much higher.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I would gladly give up winning the Cup this year if it guaranteed Kelly would be here for 3+ more years. He truly stunk the joint out last night, but I still believe he will be a superstar in this league.
    There is no silver lining with this loss Rich.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I doubt that Kelly having a great game there makes that much of a difference, since the NFL super experts don't have any respect for great CFL QB play; however, if there was an NFL team who had maybe a slight bit of interest in Kelly , and watched tape of this game, that might have them waving a red flag and going no way - his performance was that bad.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Agree. It's the first time he started in a big game and he failed miserably. Incredibly bad and I'm a huge Chad Kelly supporter.
    This is why I think Kelly should have started in the away game at Winnipeg. I was in the minority in that view at that time, but the game meant a lot to the Bombers, and it would have given him experience playing in a hostile environment under pressure.

I said it in another thread, and will repeat it here.... every great player in every sport has had a truly bad game. That's life. It happens, and it was bound to happen to Kelly at some point It sucks that it happened yesterday, but what if they had found a way to win, and he laid an egg in the Grey Cup? For me, what is important is what happens next. I think we can all agree to put the idea of Kelly going anywhere to bed. He will get his nice bonus in January, and I hope yesterday lights a fire under him to want to come back next year and atone for this performance. Remember, despite his age, this was only his first full year as a starter at the pro level. If he has the right attitude, and I believe he does, it will be all up from here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think he will come back stronger because of this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I think he will come back stronger because of this.
    I hope so, he has a long offseason to chew on that performance which sucks considering how well he played all season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I hope so, he has a long offseason to chew on that performance which sucks considering how well he played all season.
    again I say Chad made Unforced Errors. on the picks, he was not under big pressure, Argos have a solid O-line to enable Chad to show his skills.
    That is a huge reason Zac is doing so well these days, meaning his O-line, compared to Zac's time in Hamilton, etc.
    Look at how much VA got smacked around yesterday, O-line not as good. Yes Chad CAN come back stronger, IMO.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Kelly takes responsibility and does deserve any criticism but I’m shocked (ok maybe not) on how many fans on the Facebook page are asking for a MBT return. I get it, the 16-2 season goes down the drain and means nothing without a championship but Kelly is still the guy.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Kelly takes responsibility and does deserve any criticism but I’m shocked (ok maybe not) on how many fans on the Facebook page are asking for a MBT return. I get it, the 16-2 season goes down the drain and means nothing without a championship but Kelly is still the guy.
    Probably the same fans that were calling MBT a complete stiff a couple of years ago, some people are never happy I guess.
    100% Kelly is the now the guy in Toronto.
    Last edited by Argo57; 11-12-2023 at 06:20 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    What ??? - Kelly was the far superior QB this past season compared to MBT the season before, and hands down, no contest - a far superior and more accurate passing arm, plus much more mobile and a decent run threat. True, Kelly had a horrid game in the biggest game, and maybe MBT would not have panicked as much or thrown those picks, but as far as moving forward at Argo QB, I'll take the younger and more talented QB please.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Probably the same fans that were calling MBT a complete stiff a couple of years ago, some people are never happy I guess.
    Not only a couple of seasons ago. It was happening hours after last year's Grey Cup. Even this season, almost any time a thread was started about Kelly, it quickly morphed into an MBT hate-fest. Someone could write an interesting thesis about the mindset/psyche of a lot of so-called fans.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Not only a couple of seasons ago. It was happening hours after last year's Grey Cup. Even this season, almost any time a thread was started about Kelly, it quickly morphed into an MBT hate-fest. Someone could write an interesting thesis about the mindset/psyche of a lot of so-called fans.
    The MBT hate was indeed prevalent during his time with the Argonauts which I never understood, as I said some people are never satisfied.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    What ??? - Kelly was the far superior QB this past season compared to MBT the season before, and hands down, no contest - a far superior and more accurate passing arm, plus much more mobile and a decent run threat. True, Kelly had a horrid game in the biggest game, and maybe MBT would not have panicked as much or thrown those picks, but as far as moving forward at Argo QB, I'll take the younger and more talented QB please.
    Obviously MBT is not coming back, and at age 35 it's silly for anyone to pine for him over Kelly. But it's worth remembering that MBT's finest game in the CFL came precisely one year ago in the 2022 Eastern Final, when he answered with a scoring drive every time the Alouettes (with a much better offence than we saw yesterday) scored to put the outcome into question. Maybe that was because he had been in the league for five years, maybe it was because he was less prone than Kelly to panic. We'll never know, of course.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7