Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Chad Kelly’s Future in Toronto

I’m a little more concerned about it than I was a couple of months ago. I know there are many solid reasons why it is unlikely he will leave.

But I think there is one NFL team he would consider above all others and that’s the Bills. Kelly knows he would never get a sniff as a starter as long as Josh Allen was tearing it up.

But the Bills are now 5-4, Allen has looked very ordinary or worse for weeks, and there’s some concern about his play. What if he’s not the superstar everyone thought he was?

That might be a situation where the Bills bring in an experienced #2 who wants to start, in order to push Allen next year. You can bet Chad Kelly would be a popular signing in Buffalo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I’m a little more concerned about it than I was a couple of months ago. I know there are many solid reasons why it is unlikely he will leave.

But I think there is one NFL team he would consider above all others and that’s the Bills. Kelly knows he would never get a sniff as a starter as long as Josh Allen was tearing it up.

But the Bills are now 5-4, Allen has looked very ordinary or worse for weeks, and there’s some concern about his play. What if he’s not the superstar everyone thought he was?

That might be a situation where the Bills bring in an experienced #2 who wants to start, in order to push Allen next year. You can bet Chad Kelly would be a popular signing in Buffalo.
    Or he could sign with the Jets on November 20th, and instantly upgrade their QB situation by 100%!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The fact that Nathan Rourke has cleared waivers TWICE this season and no other NFL team has claimed him tells us all how the NFL views CFL quarterbacks today. That league's ignorance is our league's gain as it was in the 70s with black QBs, later on with small QBs and now our QBs in general. Nathan was the best QB in pre-season down there, and there are so many NFL teams with QB problems and nobody wants to pick him up is the definition of insanity. We all know that Chad and Nathan can play down there and be at worst a #2. It appears the opportunity given to CFL QBs is quite different from others.
    The good thing is the Argonauts have given Chad a contract here that he will likely only break to be a pure #2 in the NFL. No practice roster position like what Nathan is going through. I agree with you Buffalo makes sense on one level, but NFL teams do not seem to like to push their #1s. Nathan should be the #2 in Jacksonville, the #1 there specifically wants to work with the #2 there for weekly game prep, etc...He is not interested in being pushed.
    We will see how it all plays out.
    The way Rourke has cleared waivers this year on 2 occasions gives me hope that we will see him back in the CFL again. The NFL still has some serious bias issues it still needs to overcome. I would much rather see Rourke break records here and play than sit on the sidelines as a number 2 which seem light years away. His talents are being wasted.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    While I do think the possibility of Kelly wanting to entertain NFL offers is still possible despite the contract extension, the NFL is still too political in so many way. Forget Kelly's past. The Bills would never bench their highly paid QB in favour of a CFL QB. Hamilton can get away with having Shiltz start over their superstar Bo Levi but imagine that happening in the NFL. Can he play in the NFL? Definitely. Would he be a great backup for Buffalo? Absolutely. If Allen struggles, would fans go bonkers and call for another Kelly? Don't think the team would want that drama.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    The fact that Nathan Rourke has cleared waivers TWICE this season and no other NFL team has claimed him tells us all how the NFL views CFL quarterbacks today. That league's ignorance is our league's gain as it was in the 70s with black QBs, later on with small QBs and now our QBs in general. Nathan was the best QB in pre-season down there, and there are so many NFL teams with QB problems and nobody wants to pick him up is the definition of insanity. We all know that Chad and Nathan can play down there and be at worst a #2. It appears the opportunity given to CFL QBs is quite different from others.
    The good thing is the Argonauts have given Chad a contract here that he will likely only break to be a pure #2 in the NFL. No practice roster position like what Nathan is going through. I agree with you Buffalo makes sense on one level, but NFL teams do not seem to like to push their #1s. Nathan should be the #2 in Jacksonville, the #1 there specifically wants to work with the #2 there for weekly game prep, etc...He is not interested in being pushed.
    The way Rourke has cleared waivers this year on 2 occasions gives me hope that we will see him back in the CFL again. The NFL still has some serious bias issues it still needs to overcome. I would much rather see Rourke break records here and play than sit on the sidelines as a number 2 which seem light years away. His talents are being wasted.
    This is the question... for Rourke and Kelly. I think Kelly wants to play and compete, more than anything else. And if that means he foregoes bigger money in the NFL to be a back-up, he will stay. If it is about money, and a potential long-shot to play, then he goes. But I believe he will stay, and work to build a legacy as one of the greatest QB's to play in the CFL. His name being mentioned in the same conversations as Flutie, Holloway, Ray, Jackson, Moon etc. will ultimately bring much more personal satisfaction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am not worried one bit about Kelly heading to the NFL for all of the great reasons stated so far in this thread. Kelly has the optimal situation in Toronto where he gets to the play regularly for the first time since 2016, can make excellent money doing so, can have his family see him play in-person, etc. Further, as already stated, the NFL no longer sees much value in anything that a QB has done in the CFL and NFL teams, by and large, don't want a #2 QB that fans will be calling for if the starter is struggling; they want no controversy at all and Kelly's presence in Buffalo would invite just that. It's not like the Bills need a hometown QB to draw fans either.

Rich, my advice is to not worry about something that has very little chance of happening.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The Bills would never bench their highly paid QB in favour of a CFL QB.
    Ralph Wilson and Rob Johnson want a word.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post

Well said dude. The Rourke example is glaring.

However - this season there are some real questionable, iffy. weak QBs getting to actually start in the NFL - mostly due to injuries - some teams have had to play raw rookies or bring-in mediocre resume QBs from other teams and actually play them; so there is still a remote chance, IMO, that one of those NFL QB poor teams reach out to Kelly as a guy who could maybe help. Still doubtful, but the QB situation down there this season may have a couple of teams even thinking about changing their myopic / ignorant attitudes towards a top CFL QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Rob Johnson was not an established star/ elite NFL QB like Josh Allen is now; and it was the other way around, with Flutie getting benched for Johnson when the chips were down and it mattered most.

Rich - there is zero chance that the Bills sign Kelly to actually compete with Allen; however, as in my post above, there are several NFL teams this year who have had to actually play some very iffy resume QBs; Kelly could be an instant upgrade to some of these guys (so could Nathan Rourke though for that matter), but having a team take interest is another matter.

Achievements:
    Level
    But I really don't see that happening now with such bloated contracts. Both Johnson and Flutie made $5M. Allen is making an average of $43M. No way Allen sits if the Flutie-Johnson happens today with Allen and his backup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You are all dreaming in technicolour if you think any QB would prefer to be a starter in the CFL over #2 on an NFL team. You need not look further than Ro Johnson or Scott Mitchell as QB's that got a meanigless start late in the season as back ups, had great games and parlayed that into starting jobs and big contracts the next season with different teams. If the Jags are in position to have a meaningless game late in the season and Rourke even gets a quarter of play and performs well, someone will give him a contract worth more than any CFL team would be able to pay him.

As much as we believe these guys just want to play, business and taking care of their families comes first.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    But I really don't see that happening now with such bloated contracts. Both Johnson and Flutie made $5M. Allen is making an average of $43M. No way Allen sits if the Flutie-Johnson happens today with Allen and his backup.
    In 1998, Johnson signed a five-year contract worth $25 million with the Bills, and Flutie signed a two-year contract worth $650,000. Flutie took over as starter early that season, and was still the starter in 1999 until the Bills stupidly benched him for Johnson in the game that became the Music City Miracle. Whether or not something like that might happen today, it did happen in 1998.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Achievements:
    Level
    In 1998, Johnson signed a five-year contract worth $25 million with the Bills, and Flutie signed a two-year contract worth $650,000. Flutie took over as starter early that season, and was still the starter in 1999 until the Bills stupidly benched him for Johnson in the game that became the Music City Miracle. Whether or not something like that might happen today, it did happen in 1998.
    This may not add anything to the overall point, and not trying to argue. But I believe Flutie got a $6M bonus. More so an FYI and why I think his salary had appeared to be similar to Johnson's on the site I referenced.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You are all dreaming in technicolour if you think any QB would prefer to be a starter in the CFL over #2 on an NFL team. You need not look further than Ro Johnson or Scott Mitchell as QB's that got a meanigless start late in the season as back ups, had great games and parlayed that into starting jobs and big contracts the next season with different teams. If the Jags are in position to have a meaningless game late in the season and Rourke even gets a quarter of play and performs well, someone will give him a contract worth more than any CFL team would be able to pay him.

As much as we believe these guys just want to play, business and taking care of their families comes first.
    To your point, a recent example where that was not true is Bo Levi Mitchell. IIRC, he tried out with a number of NFL teams and chose to return to CFL instead of taking an NFL offer with no assurances, although the exact details escape me.

As far as Kelly goes, I guess we find out one way or another during the next transfer window... because if I understood correctly, he gets a six figure bonus with the Argos, but only if he hasn't signed eleswhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    To your point, a recent example where that was not true is Bo Levi Mitchell. IIRC, he tried out with a number of NFL teams and chose to return to CFL instead of taking an NFL offer with no assurances, although the exact details escape me.

As far as Kelly goes, I guess we find out one way or another during the next transfer window... because if I understood correctly, he gets a six figure bonus with the Argos, but only if he hasn't signed eleswhere.
    That's correct. As Dave Naylor has pointed out, Kelly simply doesn't fit the NFL mould for either a #2 or #3 QB at this point.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This may not add anything to the overall point, and not trying to argue. But I believe Flutie got a $6M bonus. More so an FYI and why I think his salary had appeared to be similar to Johnson's on the site I referenced.
    I'm also not trying to argue -- and IMO this whole discussion is a bit silly; why should any of us spend psychic energy this week focusing on an extremely unlikely "what if," which is why I somewhat facetiously replied in the first place -- but Sportrac says Flutie signed a two-year deal worth $625,000 (including $25,000 signing bonus) in 1998 when he left the Argos. In 1999, after he as a $300,000 QB beat out $5M QB Johnson and was named to the Pro Bowl, that contract was ripped up and he signed for four years, $21.8M including $6M signing bonus. So as a (much) lower-paid guy, he supplanted Johnson, and the following year Johnson, as a (slightly lower-paid) guy supplanted him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A very odd topic heading into the biggest game of the season.
    I’m napping, staying hydrated and stretching getting ready for Saturday.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post

According to him. The writing may have been on the wall that he would be hard pressed to make a team and decided against it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That's correct. As Dave Naylor has pointed out, Kelly simply doesn't fit the NFL mould for either a #2 or #3 QB at this point.
    This is it. Backups no longer fight for the #1 job. Kelly has publicly said he’s better than half of the starters before the season. I don’t think NFL teams want that kind of backup unless it’s open competition and the team he signs for has no penciled in starter but how many teams is that? In a hypothetical Bills situation, I doubt they would want a guy who thinks he’s better than Allen.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    So is the situation with Rourke that he is now part of the Jacksonville Jaguars as the third string quarterback? I guess there is a chance that he might get some playing time this season. But I have to wonder how long would a player of his calibre be wiling to sit on the sidelines, even if it is with an NFL team. As others have noted, a competitive player wants to play no matter what and I think Rourke is that type of player. So I can see him giving it a couple of seasons, but if he doesn't get a real chance to play, he may consider returning to the CFL where he would be star!

And Kelly, don't discount that he likes the Argo management and the team. He himself has also mentioned that he has fallen in love with a local Canadian girl, so he seems to be settled and happy here - so that does count for something!!