Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree with Dunigan - I think Chad Kelly was too amped up for the game, too nervous, maybe had an anxiety attack when things started going badly and that's what affected his play. I think he was just taking about a concussion, because as others have noted, that is more acceptable, than saying that nerves got the better of him. I think Kelly and the Argos need to drop this now, it's starting to look ridiculous about how he maybe had a concussion and is getting tested etc. He played a bad game - end of story.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Ottawa shouldn’t depend on Masoli, he’s close to finished, MBT maybe a good mentor for Crum.
    Hamilton could use MBT, Shiltz is a backup QB nothing more, signing MBT would allow them to take their time with Powell.
    MBT much superior to Harris at this stage, a no brainer.
    Masoli may be done, maybe not - or do you know so somehow? - like Collaros was done a few years back?

Ticats might make some sense.

Sorry MBT is just not a better QB than Harris; maybe if Harris is damaged goods.

MBT is no Flutie or Dunigan - not even close; if some desperate CFL team wants to pay him big CFL buck$ = have at 'er / good luck.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Masoli may be done, maybe not - or do you know so somehow? - like Collaros was done a few years back?

Sorry MBT is just not a better QB than Harris; maybe if Harris is damaged goods.

MBT is no Flutie or Dunigan - not even close; if some desperate CFL team wants to pay him big CFL buck$ = have at 'er / good luck.
    Masoli has been injured most of the time since 2019 and has only been able to play 5 games over the past two years. I think that it's foolish to count on him in any way. Ottawa would be wise to sign a solid veteran QB in MBT who can start and win games for you and lead a team to a championship.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here is the much-anticipated raw video of the Chad Kelly interview with the 3downnation.com trio (Hodge, Dunk, Abbott):

Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Well he comes right out and said he got a concussion during the game, although he doesn't specify one hit or incident, says just a number of times his head didn't feel right. And he says the spotter didn't come and talk to him either. I said it earlier, but it irritates me that he didn't bother mentioning to any of the coaching staff or the medical staff during the game, that he wasn't feeling well. That he didn't get checked out or let Dukes come in and play for a few series. He goes on to contradict himself, saying that he was definitely feeling it the day after or a couple of days afterwards, but in the Toronto Sun article he claimed he had already worked out 3 times since the final. The last thing you should do if you think you've had a concussion is work out! And he says he's had a concussion previously, but this one was worse - well surely he remembers some of what you should do if you suspect you've sustained a concussion - namely tell your coaching / medical staff, get assessed and maybe sit out for at least part of the game.

Sorry but he comes across as immature idiot and frankly I think he's still using all of his to try and explain his disastrous performance in the Eastern final! You played a bad game, suck it up and learn from it! He could also be getting the Argos in trouble as the CFL takes concussion protocols very seriously and insists that all teams educate their staff and players about symptoms of a concussion, steps to take etc. And Kelly's explanation seems to confirm that he just ignored all of it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't see the Argos getting in any kind of trouble. They have said explicitly that none of their staff were ever made aware of a possible concussion. If a player feels he suffered any kind of injury but tells no one, why should the team be held accountable. We will never know if he actually suffered a concussion. He apparently self-diagnosed and then didn't tell anyone for three days. And then told one interviewer yet neglected to say anything similar to another interviewer. If he did in fact suffer a concussion, he dealt with it the wrong way by not reporting symptoms or anything of that sort. If he thinks in retrospect that he must have been concussed because of how his head felt messed up during the game, I guess that is possible, but it's also possible that it is a convenient explanation for something that would otherwise seem inexplicable to him.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    You may be right that the Argos aren't in trouble over this, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone from the CFL asks Argo management if they educate their players about the proper concussion protocol, because Kelly obviously didn't follow any of it.

I guess my point was that Kelly's behaviour and comments make the Argo organization look bad as I have no doubt that they have talked to players over the season about the concussion risks, symptoms, the role of the spotter, the importance of speaking up etc. And Kelly ignores all of this - looks like a cowboy - decides to self-diagnose that he had a concussion, didn't bother to share his concerns with anyone on the team during the game or afterwards (or at least until he did his interview saying he had a concussion) and determines that he is the only one that is able to take the team to a win, so he stays in the game, even though he wasn't feeling 100%. It demonstrates bad judgment, arrogance and immaturity. I hope someone in the organization quietly pulls Kelly aside and talks to him about all of this, cause it clearly isn't appropriate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    You may be right that the Argos aren't in trouble over this, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone from the CFL asks Argo management if they educate their players about the proper concussion protocol, because Kelly obviously didn't follow any of it.
    That would be true only if he felt during the game that he had suffered a concussion. Given that he told no one during the game, or in the days that followed, until the fateful interview, it stands to reason he did not actually feel during the game that he had suffered a concussion, but came up with that as an explanation sometime over the ensuing three days. It might have been in his mind before the interview, but the fact he did not make similar comments to Simmons could lead one to conclude that it popped into his head somewhat spontaneously and he blurted it out without giving it much thought (and possibly without much evidence, given that he had apparently worked out two or three times in the days following the game). Given all of the possibilities here, and after hearing the clip, I am not as inclined to give Kelly the benefit of the doubt on this as I originally was.

Having now watched the full, eight-minute interview, I have only one serious issue with 3DN. They neglected to seek any corroboration for his claim of a concussion. They at minimum should have asked, "did you tell any of your teammates or anyone else with the team at the time?" If they weren't able to come up with that question on the spot (as sometimes happens when unexpected information is presented to you during an interview), they should have held the story until they had a second chance to talk to Kelly. And the team should have been asked immediately for comment, before the story was published. Doing both of those things would have been appropriate journalistic practice, but we live in an age where appropriate journalistic practice is becoming rarer.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Well I would say that he did say he didn't feel right during the game. Kelly also goes on to say that he has had a concussion before, so he knows what it feels like and he certainly implies that it was a feeling similar to that, but worse. Either way, if "he didn't feel right" during the game, he should have said something to someone.

You might be right that he mentioned having a concussion without thinking about it - I personally think he was embarrassed by his performance in the Eastern Final and was looking for an excuse, other than the fact that he simply played a bad game (which can happen to the best of athletes). If that was the case, then Kelly needs to grow up and think before he speaks, especially as he is "one of the faces of the Argos". It is irresponsible on his part to claim he had a concussion (self-diagnosed) and just ignored it and continued to play. As I mentioned in a previous post, in my past job I worked on projects promoting concussion prevention, awareness and education in the province and across the country, so it really doesn't help the cause to have a high-profile local athlete trivialize concussions and present some macho-shit that he just played through it. That's why I said that I hope someone in the Argos organization privately talks to him about the whole episode. And Kelly needs to shut up - the more he talks about it, the more ridiculous he looks!!

I do agree with you that I wished 3DN had pushed him more about the comment. Like when did it happen, why didn't you tell anyone about it or are you saying that it might not have been a concussion, but something certainly felt off... etc . It might have given Kelly a chance to backtrack or give a more thorough response.
    Last edited by kellynjk; 11-18-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

MBT has led his team to a championship as a starter, and beat Harris head to head in the playoffs, playing IMO his best ever game to do so. Harris never has finished the job, despite being a starter for many more years than MBT. Sorry, I would take MBT in a heartbeat over Harris.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 11-18-2023 at 04:48 PM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

Masoli has suffered serious leg injuries in back to back seasons and quite frankly didn’t look in great physical condition at the start of last season, at 35 years old I suspect he is near done.
    Trevor Harris (who will be 38 heading into training camp) is also attempting to come back from a devastating leg injury and IMO is not as good as MBT at this point.
    I suspect Bo Levi Mitchell won’t return to Hamilton, MBT would be an ideal veteran to come in and stabilize that position.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    MBT has led his team to a championship as a starter, and beat Harris head to head in the playoffs, playing IMO his best ever game to do so. Harris never has finished the job, despite being a starter for many more years than MBT. Sorry, I would take MBT in a heartbeat over Harris.
    Harris has the way better passing arm IMO and has also put up 2 of the all-time best CFL play-off game passing marks.

That being said, not sure I'd want either at this point to be some sort of QB savior to lead a team to the promised land. Much rather roll with a young QB (Crum or Powell for example) and develop them. MBT or Harris as lower paid back-ups = sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Harris has the way better passing arm IMO and has also put up 2 of the all-time best CFL play-off game passing marks.

That being said, not sure I'd want either at this point to be some sort of QB savior to lead a team to the promised land. Much rather roll with a young QB (Crum or Powell for example) and develop them. MBT or Harris as lower paid back-ups = sure.
    Crum and Powell have good futures, but especially in Ottawa’s case it is a serious gamble to go with him. They need to win and win now before they really start to lose that fan base. MBT as a bridge QB until Crum is truly ready would be the better move.
    It's us vs the rest of the country