Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos comment on Kelly concussion, certainly puts the organization in an awkward situation.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/toronto-argon...inal-1.2036788
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Good on the org for saying what seemed obvious -- it had no reason to believe he was concussed during or after the game. I'm increasingly convinced that this story is a combination of Chad desperately grasping for an explanation for what seemed inexplicable, and 3DN laying a trap he walked right into. They claim they will be posting the full video of the interview; I can't wait to see it so we can all judge for ourselves.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Well I agree it's good that the Argo organization has come out saying that they had no reason to believe Kelly was concussed during any point in the game. But if Kelly is going to be one of the marquee players for the Argos going forward, he needs to think little more before he speaks and not just say things off the top of his. head.

I also would be interested in seeing the 3DN interview and whether they took what he said out of context.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    MBT pining for a CFL return ? Not that the Argos are going to give-up on Kelly after one bad game and hand MBT his starter job back.

Wonder who might be interested? Stumps might be the best fit IMO; Maier is still young but was very iffy to under-whelming this past season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree anxiety attacks should not be stigmatizing in any way. Unfortunately, the macho world of pro football would probably view it differently. (To be clear, I don't know if Kelly had such an attack, but it is a plausible possibility.)
    It sounds a little like what Kelly had but who knows? I believe that the Argos' medical staff will be putting him through some concussion testing in the coming days.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    MBT pining for a CFL return ? Not that the Argos are going to give-up on Kelly after one bad game and hand MBT his starter job back.

Wonder who might be interested? Stumps might be the best fit IMO; Maier is still young but was very iffy to under-whelming this past season.
    I am surprised that MBT is entertaining the idea of a return north.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am surprised that MBT is entertaining the idea of a return north.
    IF he still want to play football, and the NFL obviously ain't interested, what else does he do - stick it out in Mickey Mouse XFL or USFL ball ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    IF he still want to play football, and the NFL obviously ain't interested, what else does he do - stick it out in Mickey Mouse XFL or USFL ball ?
    I didn't think that he wanted to continue playing football or, at least, I didn't think he wanted to continue playing football far away from his family. Of course, if the NFL had come calling, there was no guarantee that he wouldn't be far away from family.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Dinwiddie knew nothing about any concussion.
    3Down article states Kelly “exclusively told 3DownNation” about the concussion.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/16/a...ussion-online/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Dinwiddie knew nothing about any concussion.
    3Down article states Kelly “exclusively told 3DownNation” about the concussion.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/16/a...ussion-online/
    They said on their podcast that they have video of the Kelly interview that they will put up on YouTube.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I mentioned in the game thread that Kelly was sitting on the ground after one play looking stunned and completely out of it. Whether that was because of all the interceptions or because he was stunned by how he was failing so badly or even having an anxiety attack I don't know. But his crispness of his performance on the opening drive that ended with an interception inside the ten yard line seemed to totally disappeared subsequently.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Did this whole thing about a possible concussion not first come up as a response or reaction to his running off the field without shaking hands?

After reading all of the posts/comments here, I think a picture is emerging, which many of you have alluded to. Embarrassment/anxiety over his poor performance, needing to find something to say to deflect from the idea he might be a poor sport, overall immaturity as a professional facing real adversity.

Despite the fact that he is almost 30 years old, Kelly is still pretty raw. He has to grow up as a pro. Look at how Bo Levi handled the post-game interviews after TiCats were eliminated. That was grace under pressure, something which Kelly needs (and hopefully, will develop).

As far as the organization is concerned, I think the best course of action is to do or say nothing at this point... as Paul has pointed out, no matter which way they go, somebody looks bad. Grey Cup week activities and game should put this to the back burner as a news story... the Argos aren't the Leafs after all, where every fact is dissected ad nauseum.

Let's hope he learns, grows and can move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Ottawa, Hamilton and Saskatchewan should surely be interested.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    Did this whole thing about a possible concussion not first come up as a response or reaction to his running off the field without shaking hands?

After reading all of the posts/comments here, I think a picture is emerging, which many of you have alluded to. Embarrassment/anxiety over his poor performance, needing to find something to say to deflect from the idea he might be a poor sport, overall immaturity as a professional facing real adversity.

Despite the fact that he is almost 30 years old, Kelly is still pretty raw. He has to grow up as a pro. Look at how Bo Levi handled the post-game interviews after TiCats were eliminated. That was grace under pressure, something which Kelly needs (and hopefully, will develop).

As far as the organization is concerned, I think the best course of action is to do or say nothing at this point... as Paul has pointed out, no matter which way they go, somebody looks bad. Grey Cup week activities and game should put this to the back burner as a news story... the Argos aren't the Leafs after all, where every fact is dissected ad nauseum.

Good post, can’t argue with any of this.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

I think that the Argos had to put out a statement and did yesterday making it clear that they were unaware of any concussion during Saturday's game: https://www.guelphtoday.com/national...-final-7843514

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    They claim they will be posting the full video of the interview; I can't wait to see it so we can all judge for ourselves.
    It's been more than 24 hours since that promise was made. One would think they would prioritize posting since they are out on a limb as the only news outlet reporting he claims to have suffered a concussion, and denials have apparently been issued since. Maybe they will get around to posting this video next week?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Agree with everything you've said above. I think you're right about Kelly being abit immature, it's his rookie year as being first string quarterback and being so much in the limelight. Hopefully he will learn and mature over time.

I do hope that Dinwiddie and the coaching staff will talk to him (privately) about how he should be vocal and speak up if he is feeling off his game or especially if he thinks he has been injured in any way during a game. Not only is that behaviour unfair to the team, but more importantly he shouldn't put his own health at risk by trying to stay in a game, when he is not feeling 100%.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Ottawa, Hamilton and Saskatchewan should surely be interested.
    Ottawa should stick with Crum IMO (very good potential) and can hope Masoli can come back to be #1 maybe or a good mentor/back-up.

Hamilton could hope Powell (again, nice potential IMO) will develop and they still have Shiltz as an adequate sort of gamer.

Riders might hope Harris returns good to go and still have Dolegala and other QBs.

It would be a big mistake IMO for any of these teams to anoint MBT as instant starter and pay him big or decent CFL buck$.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ottawa should stick with Crum IMO (very good potential) and can hope Masoli can come back to be #1 maybe or a good mentor/back-up.

Hamilton could hope Powell (again, nice potential IMO) will develop and they still have Shiltz as an adequate sort of gamer.

Riders might hope Harris returns good to go and still have Dolegala and other QBs.

It would be a big mistake IMO for any of these teams to anoint MBT as instant starter and pay him big or decent CFL buck$.
    Ottawa shouldn’t depend on Masoli, he’s close to finished, MBT maybe a good mentor for Crum.
    Hamilton could use MBT, Shiltz is a backup QB nothing more, signing MBT would allow them to take their time with Powell.
    MBT much superior to Harris at this stage, a no brainer.
    Last edited by Argo57; 11-17-2023 at 08:37 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level