Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Chad Kelly 2023 CFL MOP

Congrats to Chad Kelly all in all a great season!!

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/16/t...anding-player/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Of course we all want the Grey Cup more but I'm proud of how many Argo's were represented tonight! It's never easy to follow a championship season and they did so incredibly well!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well deserved. This was a fantastic season, even if it had a disappointing ending. Looking forward to seeing him get even better next season.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Well deserved. This was a fantastic season, even if it had a disappointing ending. Looking forward to seeing him get even better next season.
    Most times adversity makes you stronger and more resilient, hopefully this drives Kelly to get even better.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Most times adversity makes you stronger and more resilient, hopefully this drives Kelly to get even better.
    Sadly, in retrospect, this team faced absolutely no adversity all season. It was going to hit eventually, and unfortunately they were not ready for it (defence excepted).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Sadly, in retrospect, this team faced absolutely no adversity all season. It was going to hit eventually, and unfortunately they were not ready for it (defence excepted).
    The Argos basically cruised along all season including the last 6 games, Montreal on the other hand came into the EF battle tested and it certainly showed.
    Toronto (specifically Chad Kelly) got smacked in the mouth on the first possession and unraveled from there, hopefully a learning experience for him.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Not that I buy into the narrative coming from some in the west that the Argos only beat up on weak eastern teams this year - the same eastern teams that had a collective winning record against the west - but I do welcome the return of the balanced schedule next year including two games each against Winnipeg and BC. I think that won't hurt in testing the Argos even more before playoff time.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Not that I buy into the narrative coming from some in the west that the Argos only beat up on weak eastern teams this year - the same eastern teams that had a collective winning record against the west - but I do welcome the return of the balanced schedule next year including two games each against Winnipeg and BC. I think that won't hurt in testing the Argos even more before playoff time.
    Who ever has that narrative in the west is just making excuses. I guess they forget that Wpg and BC feasted on Edm, Sask, and Cgy!!!
    The Mtl vs Tor games were competitive. It's not the Argos fault that Ham and Ott were pathetic.
    It may have helped Tor if they played Mtl later in the season.
    And this Argo team went toe to toe with Wpg with our backup QB. I thought that loss was suppose to make a point with the team that they still had to work for the wins. But maybe it backfired and they thought they would have one with Kelly.
    I too am happy to see the balanced schedule back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I guess they forget that Wpg and BC feasted on Edm, Sask, and Cgy!!!
    And both lost to Hamilton, who the Argos were 4-0 against. Hell, Winnipeg even lost to Ottawa, and BC should have without some late dumbass coaching decisions.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    This is a well-deserved award for Chad Kelly and I thought his acceptance speech was nice, the way he credited his team-mates for making him a better player. Congrats!!

New Fan
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Let me preface my response with the following: I have nothing against Chad Kelly. He had a very successful season, especially as a first year starter in the CFL, which is quite rare.

Chad Kelly shouldn't have won the award for MOP. To me, this is one of the weakest selections ever. I feel that he wasn't even the best player at his position, whereas Brady Oliveira was. As Paul Woods and Argo Ravi noted, Kelly regressed over the last half/third of the season. I would describe his performance during this time as "pedestrian."

Historically speaking , Kelly's 23 TD passes is the lowest amongst all MOP winning QB'S (in a full season) since the advent of the 18 game schedule in 1986. His passing yardage total (4,123) is the 2nd lowest ever. Here are some of Kelly's ranks this past season:

Passing Yards: 4th
    Completion %: 4th
    Yards Per Attempt: 1st
    TD Passes: 3rd
    QB Rating: 2nd
    300 Yard Games: 4th

I realize that stats aren't everything. That being said, these numbers don't scream MOP to me. Kelly's selection will make good fodder for those who feel that the CFL shows favourtism towards the Argos.

On an unrelated note, I feel that Montreal's improbable Grey Cup title is reminiscent of the Argos winning in 2017. Personally, it takes a little bit of the sting out the disastrous Eastern Final.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TICATS SUCK ! View Post

On an unrelated note, I feel that Montreal's improbable Grey Cup title is reminiscent of the Argos winning in 2017. Personally, it takes a little bit of the sting out the disastrous Eastern Final.
    I feel the same way!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Let me preface my response with the following: I have nothing against Chad Kelly. He had a very successful season, especially as a first year starter in the CFL, which is quite rare.

Chad Kelly shouldn't have won the award for MOP. To me, this is one of the weakest selections ever. I feel that he wasn't even the best player at his position, whereas Brady Oliveira was. As Paul Woods and Argo Ravi noted, Kelly regressed over the last half/third of the season. I would describe his performance during this time as "pedestrian."

Historically speaking , Kelly's 23 TD passes is the lowest amongst all MOP winning QB'S (in a full season) since the advent of the 18 game schedule in 1986. His passing yardage total (4,123) is the 2nd lowest ever. Here are some of Kelly's ranks this past season:

I realize that stats aren't everything. That being said, these numbers don't scream MOP to me. Kelly's selection will make good fodder for those who feel that the CFL shows favourtism towards the Argos.

I disagree, but I guess it’s fashionable to jump off Kelly’s bandwagon. The only reason he regressed in the 2nd half is because they had nothing to play for and had big 2nd half leads. TD passes are such an overrated stat, especially when your passing gets you close to the goal line which lead to a league high 30 rushing TD’s and no other team was close to that. I don’t recall a lot of those rushing TD’s being long runs. Kelly was absolutely the right choice for the award.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I disagree, but I guess it’s fashionable to jump off Kelly’s bandwagon. The only reason he regressed in the 2nd half is because they had nothing to play for and had big 2nd half leads. TD passes are such an overrated stat, especially when your passing gets you close to the goal line which lead to a league high 30 rushing TD’s and no other team was close to that. I don’t recall a lot of those rushing TD’s being long runs. Kelly was absolutely the right choice for the award.

Honestly, I can see both sides and could argue either of your positions. Perhaps from a strictly statistical perspective, TICAT's argument has merit. But for me, and I think this is where I lean toward Angelo's comment, the crux is how you define "outstanding". Does it mean you have to be the top in all or most statistical categories? I don't think so, and I don't think that the evaluators saw it that way. If you look at it from the perspective of most "valuable", then Kelly wins hands down. And I agree that some of the stats can be misleading.

To the comment that the Alouettes remind you of the 2017 Argonauts, I would say they also remind me so much of the 2012 Argonauts. As I recall, that team was mediocre, but then had a big win on the road in Saskatchewan, after which they caught fire. They were a .500 team, and had to win two games to make it to the Grey Cup. It just reinforces for me how important the mental aspect and team culture is. The Als had that MOJO going for them and they caught fire at the right time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    If you look at it from the perspective of most "valuable", then Kelly wins hands down. And I agree that some of the stats can be misleading.
    That's how I regard it. He won the MOP award due to being the MVP.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Of the top three QBs in the league, only Kelly never had a bad (regular-season) game, only Kelly sat out two full games because he wasn't needed, and only Kelly regularly played ultra-conservatively in second halves due to sizeable leads. His statistics are not as impressive as Collaros's and Adams's because the Argos didn't need him to rack up impressive statistics. I have previously noted that he was somewhat less impressive in the second half of the season, but it's worth noting that only three of those nine games actually mattered. IMO he deserves to be all-star QB and he deserves to be MOP because he excelled at a position that is much more critical to a team's success is than RB. Not to take anything away from Oliveira, who had a superb year, but IMO the 39-22 MOP vote in Kelly's favour is about right.

As for the CFL showing favouritism to the Argos, tell that to Argo fans who have seen their team screwed by the schedule-maker year after year (tho not in 2023, to be fair). And the awards are not determined by the league but by a panel of voters from all nine cities, with Toronto reps likely outnumbered something in the range of eight to one.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    As for the CFL showing favouritism to the Argos, tell that to Argo fans who have seen their team screwed by the schedule-maker year after year (tho not in 2023, to be fair). And the awards are not determined by the league but by a panel of voters from all nine cities, with Toronto reps likely outnumbered something in the range of eight to one.
    I would add to this... what possible motivation would there be for showing favouritism to the Argos with the awards. Let's face it, they are so far down the pecking order in terms of sports coverage and interest in this city, what difference would this make?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Of the top three QBs in the league, only Kelly never had a bad (regular-season) game, only Kelly sat out two full games because he wasn't needed, and only Kelly regularly played ultra-conservatively in second halves due to sizeable leads. His statistics are not as impressive as Collaros's and Adams's because the Argos didn't need him to rack up impressive statistics. I have previously noted that he was somewhat less impressive in the second half of the season, but it's worth noting that only three of those nine games actually mattered. IMO he deserves to be all-star QB and he deserves to be MOP because he excelled at a position that is much more critical to a team's success is than RB. Not to take anything away from Oliveira, who had a superb year, but IMO the 39-22 MOP vote in Kelly's favour is about right.

In the same vein, I find that, in recent years in the CFL, when a QB throws for 400+ yards, they usually lose because they have to throw the ball so much because they're well behind. Situationally, Kelly didn't need to put up huge numbers - he just needed to do what he had to for the Argos to consistently win games. He is certainly capable of throwing for 400 yards if he has to but he never had to.

I have seen the Argos screwed over time and again on the awards front. Terry Greer should have won the MOP award in 1983 but they went with Warren Moon instead who was the first passer to throw for more than 5000 yards but his team was only 8-8. It felt like that MOP award for Moon was more of a make-up award for previous years but has any receiver had a more dominant season than Greer did in 1983?

Also, Jon Volpe beat out Rocket Ismail for top rookie in 1991 and Chris Isaac somehow won top rookie in 1982 over Bob Bronk (not to mention Mervyn Fernandez as well). Isaac played some good football for Ottawa but they were 5-11 in 1982.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Reading (via Riderfans by way of 3 Down?) Kelly has some off-season NFL work-outs lined-up ?

Interesting ...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Reading (via Riderfans by way of 3 Down?) Kelly has some off-season NFL work-outs lined-up ?

Interesting ...
    This doesn't surprise me, OV, but I would be shocked if anything comes of it. I put it at a 1% chance that he goes to the NFL this off-season.