Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Reading (via Riderfans by way of 3 Down?) Kelly has some off-season NFL work-outs lined-up ?

Interesting ...
    That's what he said. He also said, in the same interview, that he suffered a concussion during the Eastern Final. Either statement might or might not be true. I have a hard time seeing any NFL GM selling his fans on a QB who led his team to nine turnovers in a championship game, but we'll see, won't we?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That's what he said. He also said, in the same interview, that he suffered a concussion during the Eastern Final. Either statement might or might not be true. I have a hard time seeing any NFL GM selling his fans on a QB who led his team to nine turnovers in a championship game, but we'll see, won't we?
    This is where the Argos were smart on how they structured Kelly's contract. I believe he will receive a significant payment in the winter. If he were to accept an NFL contract he would forgo that payment from the Argos. I don't know the numbers, but I can't see an NFL team giving him 100,000+k to sign and report to camp. I think it would be a lot lower, especially after the EF and concussion claim.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Yeah seems unlikely; HOWEVER - this year's NFL season has seen a record number of rookie QBs (plus a couple of other journeymen with weak resumes) forced to start, and some of them have been next to useless; so, there could possibly be some new thinking there about looking far & wide for new QBs - maybe, perhaps, possibly ? Ok - still doubtful. And I really doubt an NFL GM has to worry too much about which QBs they sign to be #3 camp competition. Kelly signed as a starter - like Warren Moon or Dieter Brock were right out of the CFL back when NFL thinking was different - now that might cause some howls of WTF . IF Kelly believes he has a shot at anything other than a #3 job right away, he, or his agent, is dreaming.

Little question in my mind that Kelly is a far superior QB talent to some of these stiffs who have been trotted out this season; but then again so is Nathan Rourke and he signed with a team where he had little hope to progress to #2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah seems unlikely; HOWEVER - this year's NFL season has seen a record number of rookie QBs (plus a couple of other journeymen with weak resumes) forced to start, and some of them have been next to useless; so, there could possibly be some new thinking there about looking far & wide for new QBs - maybe, perhaps, possibly ? Ok - still doubtful. And I really doubt an NFL GM has to worry too much about which QBs they sign to be #3 camp competition. Kelly signed as a starter - like Warren Moon or Dieter Brock were right out of the CFL back when NFL thinking was different - now that might cause some howls of WTF . IF Kelly believes he has a shot at anything other than a #3 job right away, he, or his agent, is dreaming.

Little question in my mind that Kelly is a far superior QB talent to some of these stiffs who have been trotted out this season; but then again so is Nathan Rourke and he signed with a team where he had little hope to progress to #2.
    I can't see Kelly leaving for a #3 job in the NFL and, quite frankly, no NFL team is going to bring in a soon to be 30 year-old to be their developmental QB. Also, given that the 3rd QB is now almost always a practice roster QB, that would be a substantial pay cut for Kelly.

The only way he leaves for the NFL is if someone brings him in to be a #2 QB but I just don't see that happening either.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    With scoring down, the NFL seems to be hungrier than ever for QBs. I think Kelly would go if he got an offer in a situation he liked. Such an offer may be unlikely, but all it takes is one.

I don't buy OV's claim that NFL thinking was different in the 80s. Moon's signing in 1984 is commonly accepted as the NFL atoning for GOBs (the real racist kind) overlooking him in the 70s. Moon's situation may have helped Brock a year later, but he had to work out for three teams before the Rams signed him. I don't remember Holloway, Dewalt or Dunigan being pursued for #1 NFL jobs. Sean Salisbury didn't get into a game with the Vikings until his 3rd year. Tom Clements didn't rise above #3 during his NFL attempt.

Dinwiddie's name has been brought up as a possible candidate for the head job at his alma mater Boise State. Losing our coach and QB would be really depressing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With Joe Burrow out in Cincinnati, the Bengals have elevated AJ McCarron to backup a guy named Jake Browning. Former Arlington Renegade QB Drew Plitt, who was just horrible…I mean horrible last XFL season has scored a PR agreement as a result of Burrow going out.

Times are tough in the NFL QB situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    With scoring down, the NFL seems to be hungrier than ever for QBs. I think Kelly would go if he got an offer in a situation he liked. Such an offer may be unlikely, but all it takes is one.

I don't buy OV's claim that NFL thinking was different in the 80s. Moon's signing in 1984 is commonly accepted as the NFL atoning for GOBs (the real racist kind) overlooking him in the 70s. Moon's situation may have helped Brock a year later, but he had to work out for three teams before the Rams signed him. I don't remember Holloway, Dewalt or Dunigan being pursued for #1 NFL jobs. Sean Salisbury didn't get into a game with the Vikings until his 3rd year. Tom Clements didn't rise above #3 during his NFL attempt.

Dinwiddie's name has been brought up as a possible candidate for the head job at his alma mater Boise State. Losing our coach and QB would be really depressing.
    Yes it certainly would, I hope they both stay with the Argonauts but if it ever happened you would hope for some clarity sooner rather than later while some viable options are still available for Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    With Joe Burrow out in Cincinnati, the Bengals have elevated AJ McCarron to backup a guy named Jake Browning. Former Arlington Renegade QB Drew Plitt, who was just horrible…I mean horrible last XFL season has scored a PR agreement as a result of Burrow going out.

And they still won't give a rat's @$$ about CFL QBs; pretty well every CFL team has a starter (and sometimes a #2) that are IMO far better QB talents than some of the stiffs that some NFL teams have been forced to trot out this season - maybe if there was an agreement to allow it after the CFL season, some desperate NFL teams might sign a Collaros or Kelly or Fajardo or Vernon Adams or Tre Ford, even as an emergency stop-gap type measure, but I don't think it would happen. And again - this is a good thing for the CFL, and hope the myopic morons stick to their thinking.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I believe that Kelly would qualify as a fourth year NFLer should he go there, which would provide him with a pension and benefits. This may place him at a competitive disadvantage when compared with younger QB's when teams are considering what players to sign. I'm with Ravi with his assertion that it is a big longshot. However, all it takes is one GM and/or coach who is interested.....

New Fan
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Here are some facts and figures to consider about the season Brady Oliveira had.

Season Ranks: Total TD's: 1st
    Yards Rushing: 1st
    Yards Per Carry: 2nd
    Receptions: 3RD
    Receiving Yards: 2nd
    Yards Per Catch: 1st

Prior to this season, since '86, 1500 or more yards rushing in a season had been accomplished 18x by 9 different RB's. Again since '86, 2000 yards from scrimmage had been accomplished 13x by 7 different RB's. This puts him in rather select company.

The MOP award has become the defacto best QB award. Including this season, QB's have won it 70.3% of the time since '86.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post

Yet Nathan Rourke clears waivers TWICE this season. Head scratching stuff. They actually don't know what they are doing down there. Gives me hope the CFL can have stars at QB again. The NFL has zero respect for our game.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TICATS SUCK ! View Post

Prior to this season, since '86, 1500 or more yards rushing in a season had been accomplished 18x by 9 different RB's. Again since '86, 2000 yards from scrimmage had been accomplished 13x by 7 different RB's. This puts him in rather select company.

The MOP award has become the defacto best QB award. Including this season, QB's have won it 70.3% of the time since '86.
    How many of those 1,500-rush/2,000-scrimmage guys were named MOP? Not to take anything away from Oliveira, or any of those guys, but QB has a far greater impact on the game of football than any other position.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime31 View Post
    I believe that Kelly would qualify as a fourth year NFLer should he go there, which would provide him with a pension and benefits. This may place him at a competitive disadvantage when compared with younger QB's when teams are considering what players to sign. I'm with Ravi with his assertion that it is a big longshot. However, all it takes is one GM and/or coach who is interested.....
    Not sure if it's still the case, but it might depends on how many times he's dressed. Used to be 50 games dressed which was he NFL's way of getting rid of fringe players that had played 3 seasons. 4th season meant a salary bump, so rookies would take the jobs of 4th year back ups. They were cheaper and the veterans got screwed out of their pensions.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    In my previous post, I forgot to mention that QB's have won the MOP close to 3/4 of the time (73.9%) this century, including 7 of the last 8 winners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Yet Nathan Rourke clears waivers TWICE this season. Head scratching stuff. They actually don't know what they are doing down there. Gives me hope the CFL can have stars at QB again. The NFL has zero respect for our game.
    It is hard to believe that none of the Jets, Giants, Bengals, Browns and Patriots would pick Rourke off of the practise roster given how their own QB's have struggled. Other than having to add Rourke to the active roster, they would have nothing to lose. It does boggle the mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    It is hard to believe that none of the Jets, Giants, Bengals, Browns and Patriots would pick Rourke off of the practise roster given how their own QB's have struggled. Other than having to add Rourke to the active roster, they would have nothing to lose. It does boggle the mind.
    I believe if given the opportunity he would never leave the field like Tom Brady when he came in for the injured Drew Bledsoe. Just as he never looked back when given the starting job in BC. He wasn't just good in BC, he was doing things as a QB that had not been done since Doug Flutie as a first year starter.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    but QB has a far greater impact on the game of football than any other position.
    Hey Paul, does this mean you’ve changed your view that QBs shouldn’t be credited with wins and losses?

Cuz I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, and would add that this season was living proof of the huge impact of QBing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I believe if given the opportunity he would never leave the field like Tom Brady when he came in for the injured Drew Bledsoe. Just as he never looked back when given the starting job in BC. He wasn't just good in BC, he was doing things as a QB that had not been done since Doug Flutie as a first year starter.
    I would take the Chad Kelly we saw in the first 9 games over Rourke any day of the week. Stronger runner, stronger arm.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hey Paul, does this mean you’ve changed your view that QBs shouldn’t be credited with wins and losses?

Cuz I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, and would add that this season was living proof of the huge impact of QBing.
    Haven't changed my mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would take the Chad Kelly we saw in the first 9 games over Rourke any day of the week. Stronger runner, stronger arm.
    Negative, IMO; Kelly might have as strong an arm or stronger, but Rourke was flat-out better