Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Given the uncertainty surrounding Chad, I think QB depth is crucial this off-season. But if we can’t get any neg list guys I don’t see the point in loading up on NAIA and JuCo players. Better to make a trade for an experienced CFL #2QB to compete with Dukes for the spot. I think it’s important enough to trade our first pick for.
    What experienced QBs do you see being made available in a trade? Ott has four guys with some game experience, but I doubt they would let Adams or Crum go, and I doubt the Argos would want to take on Masoli's salary (or uncertain health). Most teams have two guys with experience, and would be unlikely to let one of them go IMO. Obviously we'd all love Ford to come to Toronto, but I don't see that happening, not even for the fifth pick in the draft. I suppose Wpg might be willing to let Prukop go, but would he move the needle any more than Bryan Scott?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    What experienced QBs do you see being made available in a trade? Ott has four guys with some game experience, but I doubt they would let Adams or Crum go
    Wouldn’t they be fools not to take the 5th overall pick in exchange for the #3 QB on their depth chart?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wouldn’t they be fools not to take the 5th overall pick in exchange for the #3 QB on their depth chart?
    Given that both Masoli and Adams have health issues that make the timing of their return to action uncertain, Brown is not exactly a proven commodity, and Crum has a lot of potential, I think they would see it as more foolish to divest one of them to a division rival for a draft pick.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I suppose Wpg might be willing to let Prukop go,
    Prukop was a FA and signed with BC. I suppose if they must bring in someone with experience, Taylor Cornelius is available as a FA. I would have no issues bringing him in. He has a lot of talent and just might need some coaching from people other than Jarius Jackson and Stephen McAdoo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Prukop was a FA and signed with BC. I suppose if they must bring in someone with experience, Taylor Cornelius is available as a FA. I would have no issues bringing him in. He has a lot of talent and just might need some coaching from people other than Jarius Jackson and Stephen McAdoo.
    Oops on Prukup. I agree 100% on Cornelius.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    We have some tantalizing QB talent on the neg list, but I’m not optimistic any will be an Argo in 24. Matocha, Bean and Plumlee are all 1st year pro eligible, and we know most guys like that prefer to wait at least a full year before signing in the CFL.

My fav on the list is still Nolan Henderson, who graduated after the 2022 season and waited until Jan 2024 to sign with the Houston Roughboys of the UFL. He’s QB3 there, but still highly unlikely to be an Argo this year.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Chad, I think QB depth is crucial this off-season. But if we can’t get any neg list guys I don’t see the point in loading up on NAIA and JuCo players. Better to make a trade for an experienced CFL #2QB to compete with Dukes for the spot. I think it’s important enough to trade our first pick for.
    It would be wonderful if we could have clarity on Kelly's situation as soon as possible. Who knows how long this investigation will take though? At the moment, it's status quo though.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    We have some tantalizing QB talent on the neg list, but I’m not optimistic any will be an Argo in 24. Matocha, Bean and Plumlee are all 1st year pro eligible, and we know most guys like that prefer to wait at least a full year before signing in the CFL.
    I can see the Argos being able to get Matocha fairly early on given his lack of size and small college pedigree while Bean and Plumlee will get NFL opportunities this year given their major college experience and athletic ability.

Even though I think Cornelius would be a good acquisition, one name that must be getting antsy for more opportunities is Davis Alexander in Montreal. I know that the Als might not be easy to deal with since they are the Argos main competition in the East now but it could be something to look into.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Given that both Masoli and Adams have health issues that make the timing of their return to action uncertain, Brown is not exactly a proven commodity, and Crum has a lot of potential, I think they would see it as more foolish to divest one of them to a division rival for a draft pick.
    You seem to be downplaying the value of the #5 pick, but Ottawa could grab say Mardner or Mital in that spot and have a potential cornerstone for the Dru Brown offence for years to come. There’s no way they can keep all 4 QBs for very long anyway, why not get something in return now instead of just releasing somebody later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos would be the fools in that transaction.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You seem to be downplaying the value of the #5 pick, but Ottawa could grab say Mardner or Mital in that spot and have a potential cornerstone for the Dru Brown offence for years to come. There’s no way they can keep all 4 QBs for very long anyway, why not get something in return now instead of just releasing somebody later.
    I'm betting none of those four QBs gets released this year. A least one and maybe two will start the year on IR. If Brown plays well, I could see Masoli sitting on IR all season as an insurance policy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm betting none of those four QBs gets released this year. A least one and maybe two will start the year on IR. If Brown plays well, I could see Masoli sitting on IR all season as an insurance policy.
    Have to agree there; and if Brown is not real impressive out of the gate as starter, I'd look to Masoli in there quickly playing for his old OC Condell; Crum is the only guy worth getting at this point IMO; Adams flashed a bit but not that much IMO and has only little Canadian ball playing experience; they have also signed a couple of other young American QBs for TC, as has Ego-Jones in Edmonton = so there will be a number of cuts for the Argos to look at in both places if they are QB desperate.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Have to agree there; and if Brown is not real impressive out of the gate as starter, I'd look to Masoli in there quickly playing for his old OC Condell; Crum is the only guy worth getting at this point IMO; Adams flashed a bit but not that much IMO and has only little Canadian ball playing experience; they have also signed a couple of other young American QBs for TC, as has Ego-Jones in Edmonton = so there will be a number of cuts for the Argos to look at in both places if they are QB desperate.
    When looking at the QB competition in Edmonton, there is a good chance that Jarret Doege will become available since there will be five QB's fighting it out for 1 spot (assuming Bethel-Thompson and Ford are locks for the top two spots).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime31 View Post
    When looking at the QB competition in Edmonton, there is a good chance that Jarret Doege will become available since there will be five QB's fighting it out for 1 spot (assuming Bethel-Thompson and Ford are locks for the top two spots).

Quite the QB show-down for TC in Jonestown.

MBT will be #1 for sure (unless he bombs bad or gets hurt in TC); after that, not sure Ford is a lock for #2; Jones did turn to Doege over Ford before there; Ford could end up being trade bait (possible pre-draft deal?), but I'm not sure any CFL team now will have much interest ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Perhaps we need to dial down the concern over the QB situation for the team. The odds are Kelly, the league's MOP, will be the Argos QB and Dukes who played extremely well as a rookie last year should be even better with another year under his belt. Granted there should be competition for the 3rd QB spot. Unless Scott makes a dramatic turnaround the team definitely needs a better 3rd QB. I fully expect the team to make an announcement of an additional one or two QBs being signed before training camp opens. Matocha, who is very mobile, has a good arm and according to his coaches has excellent leadership skills would be my choice. As stated by Primetime his size and small college background will probably put off NFL teams. According to one report the Argos have already met with Matocha. Maybe Mason Pierce can help persuade him that the Argos are a great team to play for!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Edmonton signed former Argo OL Shane Richards today. Richards was a useful backup for the Argos the past couple of seasons with the ability to play either guard or tackle. I am sorry, but not surprised, to see him go as he has a much better chance of starting in Edmonton than he did in Toronto.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Edmonton signed former Argo OL Shane Richards today. Richards was a useful backup for the Argos the past couple of seasons with the ability to play either guard or tackle. I am sorry, but not surprised, to see him go as he has a much better chance of starting in Edmonton than he did in Toronto.
    I have to disagree, Ravi. IMO Richards was almost invariably terrible when he played, especially at tackle. I'm not at all surprised, or sorry, that the org allowed him to walk away -- I doubt he was even offered an extension. IMO chance of him starting in Edm is in the range of zero.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Dukes who played extremely well as a rookie last year should be even better with another year under his belt.
    “Extremely well” is overdoing it a bit, no? In my view Cam Dukes is a smart QB with a slight frame and a below-average arm. He’s a solid backup who’s not gonna lose a game on his own, but I don’t think he’ll ever be starter material.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    “Extremely well” is overdoing it a bit, no? In my view Cam Dukes is a smart QB with a slight frame and a below-average arm. He’s a solid backup who’s not gonna lose a game on his own, but I don’t think he’ll ever be starter material.
    This is one where we will probably agree to disagree. Dukes is 6' 1" and 205. He will fill out with time. He started two games and would likely have won both if he had played the entire Winnipeg game (Scott came in, played briefly and looked terrible.) He is mobile, an accurate passer especially on short and medium passes, stays calm even when pressured, makes smart decisions and uses his feet to gain a 1st when necessary. In the two game he started, he played with a fair number of backups and still moved the team well. Will he become a starter?---maybe, maybe not, but don't rule him out. When watching practices I was impressed how he took charge of the offense. It became obvious fairly early that he was going to be the # 2 QB for the team. I still think for a rookie, he played extremely well but I understand your reservations.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is one where we will probably agree to disagree. Dukes is 6' 1" and 205. He will fill out with time. He started two games and would likely have won both if he had played the entire Winnipeg game (Scott came in, played briefly and looked terrible.) He is mobile, an accurate passer especially on short and medium passes, stays calm even when pressured, makes smart decisions and uses his feet to gain a 1st when necessary. In the two game he started, he played with a fair number of backups and still moved the team well. Will he become a starter?---maybe, maybe not, but don't rule him out. When watching practices I was impressed how he took charge of the offense. It became obvious fairly early that he was going to be the # 2 QB for the team. I still think for a rookie, he played extremely well but I understand your reservations.

I met Dukes I a chance meeting downtown the day after the regular season finale. I was actually surprised how big he was, and I’m 6’2 and 230lbs. He definitely is not slight built.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I thought Dukes was very impressive too; but - the sample size is way too small yet IMO; a lot of folks were convinced the likes of Arbuckle was a next great QB based on playing some for a strong Stamps team with a good offence (same deal Dukes got last year). Dukes shows good promise, but that doesn't mean 1 or 2 new QBs could pass him with real TC competition and smart evaluators.

There are dozens of examples of young QBs who flash some talent when they first get a shot at playing time in the CFL - and that is a reason to have hope for them and keep them around. And a smart team IMO would carry 3 extra QBs on a roster and give them all plenty of playing time in ex. games and roll all of them in during a season, when possible (in blow-out games or meaningless games in the standings at end of year perhaps); until one of them has proven LOTS to claim #2 - there is very little reason to have a set #2 & #3 or 4 hierarchy, IMO.