Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Wpg has re-signed Oliveira, according to 3DN, For $200k. The market for Ouellette gets a bit smaller, and Argos' options at RB are also reduced. I'm guessing Ouellette will get something in the range of $170k. Given that Harris's salary comes off the books, one would think we could afford that and still find a bit more money for Leake. If that's the way mgmt wants to go.
    Farhan Lalji says it's $230k in year 1 and $240k in year 2 for Oliveira.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    My sources close to a team has told me that Ouellette will be signing with the Riders. I will believe it when I see it, however, a good source.
    My source is right. AJ signs with the Riders
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sources are reporting that Peters is going to another East team.

Is it weird to go 16-2 and into a rebuilding year?

#MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Peters to Hamilton. The outflow is depressing, and lots of fans will proclaim Argos as the likely fourth-place finisher this season. Good.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:
    Level
    I will never think poorly of anyone taking the most cash possible but I really don’t think the grass is greener. I expect a major loss in production from any player lost in FA except for Pickett as I expect the Ottawa defence to get a lot of snaps this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    These losses aren't bothering me in the least. Murphy brought these guys in, and I have faith he already has their replacements signed. Seriously, there weren't any expectations from Peters, Barlow or Oulette (who was cut in 2022) when the Argos signed them. It's not about who you lose as much as who you replace them with. Also, no guarantee these players will be as good elsewhere as they were here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Javon Leake to the Elks...

Maybe he wants to break kickoff return records?
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    These losses aren't bothering me in the least. Murphy brought these guys in, and I have faith he already has their replacements signed. Seriously, there weren't any expectations from Peters, Barlow or Oulette (who was cut in 2022) when the Argos signed them. It's not about who you lose as much as who you replace them with. Also, no guarantee these players will be as good elsewhere as they were here.
    I agree. We'd never heard of any of those guys when they signed. Ouellette was here for three years (two seasons) before making an impact. Barlow was a bit player his first year, blossomed last year.

Some Argo fans are going nuts on social media, a sky-is-falling outlook that seems to ignore a few facts. We still have the CFL's MOP and all-star QB (plus his two backups), the entire starting o-line that was the league's best (and its top two backups from last year), all of our strong contingent of NAT receivers and our all-star-calibre INT receiver, several good pieces on defence including McManis (probably the best overall defensive player in the league the last two seasons combined), Orimalade, Ceresna and some very good DBs. We've already filled the hole caused by the loss of Bede, and in doing so opened up a spot for an INT backup wherever one is most needed.

We still need to sign an INT receiver or two, but some good ones are available including two of "our own" as well as Tim White and Dalton Schoen. RB needs shoring up but Deonta McMahon looks promising (and can replace Leake as a returner). I'm also of the opinion that some of the guys we've lost (if not most or all of them) are unlikely to do as well elsewhere. But that's why they play the games on the field, not on paper in the middle of February.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    What a week. Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.
    I don't think I thought the bloodletting would be this bad. Alot of talent has left, and free agency has not even begun.
    I have faith the Argo braintrust will do their best with existing and new talent, but we have lost all stars. It is unreasonable to expect them to all be replaced with equivalent results. I hope the number of holes to be filled does not get any worse.
    It is a matter of where that talent goes and how the Argos stack up vs. their division. I still think they are as good or better than any team for now. No longer 16-2 that's for sure.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    We still need to sign an INT receiver or two, but some good ones are available including two of "our own" as well as Tim White and Dalton Schoen.
    I really have a feeling Carlton Agudosi is going to surprise people this year. Great size, and seemed to be able to get behind guys when given th chance with Winnipeg. No shame playin 2nd fiddle to the established receivers that team had.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah with the savings from Ouellette and Pickett I would guess we still got one big-ticket signing coming. Who will it be? I’d love to see Tim White in double blue. Imagine him catching up to Chad’s beautiful long balls, over and over again. Plus, fvck the TiCats.

The other guy I’m intrigued about is Matthieu Betts. I think he would be a great fit on what would be one of the great D-lines ever.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I really have a feeling Carlton Agudosi is going to surprise people this year. Great size, and seemed to be able to get behind guys when given th chance with Winnipeg. No shame playin 2nd fiddle to the established receivers that team had.
    Yeah, I'm super intrigued by Agudosi. He could be another one of those guys who comes into the league with one team but comes into his own with another, a la Geroy Simon. (Not saying he will be as good as Geroy, just the same concept.) Having said that, I would really like to get Coxie back, and also Hendrix if he's not already gone to Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And there's still that matter of naming our defensive coordinator...
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    And there's still that matter of naming our defensive coordinator...
    Mike Hogan on Rod Pedersen said DC and coaching staff are set. They just need to announce once everything is official.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I will never think poorly of anyone taking the most cash possible but I really don’t think the grass is greener. I expect a major loss in production from any player lost in FA except for Pickett as I expect the Ottawa defence to get a lot of snaps this season.
    Pickett returns to Toronto in 2025

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    What a week. Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.
    I don't think I thought the bloodletting would be this bad. Alot of talent has left, and free agency has not even begun.
    I have faith the Argo braintrust will do their best with existing and new talent, but we have lost all stars. It is unreasonable to expect them to all be replaced with equivalent results. I hope the number of holes to be filled does not get any worse.
    It is a matter of where that talent goes and how the Argos stack up vs. their division. I still think they are as good or better than any team for now. No longer 16-2 that's for sure.
    Or to put it another way, it is reasonable to question whether the can all be replaced with equivalent results.

A 16 win season is a rarity, and at the end of the day it didn't get us anywhere, not to say that the players we've lost won't hurt, but full panic isn't warranted either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Achievements:
    Level
    Some Argo fans are going nuts on social media, a sky-is-falling outlook that seems to ignore a few facts.
    Facebook fan club is blaming Pinball for not listening to the fans. And suggesting possible locker room issues. Not one mention of a rookie contract looking for a significant raise. CFL careers are short, a lot of the money is lost with taxes and conversion. And imagine trying to find a place to live (Ouellette lived in a camper van FFS) for half the year in Toronto. Its not easy keeping the core together unless you're a Leaf making $10M+

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Or to put it another way, it is reasonable to question whether the can all be replaced with equivalent results.

A 16 win season is a rarity, and at the end of the day it didn't get us anywhere, not to say that the players we've lost won't hurt, but full panic isn't warranted either.
    The Argos had enough depth last year to put two good football teams on the field. Change should have been expected in this salary cap world but it's hardly a reason for some Argos fans to panic.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wondering how tight the Argos are to the cap and how much room they have to sign players moving forward.
    I don’t blame the players for maximizing their earnings as CFL careers are very limited in duration.
    Argos seem to portray the sense of family which makes some of todays losses just a little surprising but shows money trumps all.
    Argos have done a good job in recruiting talent and will have to rely on this to retool the roster, overall disappointing at the amount of talent lost today.
    Who do they look at signing moving forward?
    Last edited by Argo57; 02-06-2024 at 06:51 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The sky isn't falling and it's absurd to blame Pinball for anything right now...

Today sucked though. The Argos lost great players who contributed to a glorious era of the team's history and are some of the best personalities in football.

Pinball and company put this all together in the first place, so I'm more than confident the team will remain a top contender, but there's no way you can tell me today didn't suck.