Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Maybe they can help him get some ad deals. Burns me that Raptor players get Gillette, McDonald's, Subway ads and not one CFL player or Argo players get that kind of exposure. Raptor TV audience is nothing special.
    Perception is reality, though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Maybe they can help him get some ad deals. Burns me that Raptor players get Gillette, McDonald's, Subway ads and not one CFL player or Argo players get that kind of exposure. Raptor TV audience is nothing special.

Again, what the CFL has been up against in it's own country, for decades.

AND with an Argo ownership group that could easily do something about it; but, my guess, they are afraid it would offend the "Major League" Leaf, Jays, Raptors fans or all the NFL fan-boys out there. CFL = shhhh, it's minor league and we can't really do much to promote or market it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Again, what the CFL has been up against in it's own country, for decades.

AND with an Argo ownership group that could easily do something about it; but, my guess, they are afraid it would offend the "Major League" Leaf, Jays, Raptors fans or all the NFL fan-boys out there. CFL = shhhh, it's minor league and we can't really do much to promote or market it.
    They should do a Mr. Sub ad where Kelly throws a 12 inch assorted to a fan and it unravels perfectly in mid air before landing in the fan's hands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    They should do a Mr. Sub ad where Kelly throws a 12 inch assorted to a fan and it unravels perfectly in mid air before landing in the fan's hands.
    The fan being in the upper deck of course!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The fan being in the upper deck of course!
    Brilliant. You're hired!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I thought Williams missed a lot of tackles last year early on. No questioning his speed though which really helps in pass coverage taking away crossing routes which could be killers.
    That’s a pretty realistic assessment AV.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    That’s a pretty realistic assessment AV.

Williams lost his starting MLB job in BC to Hladik (similar big size MLB, athletic tester, U Sports resume to Cassar).

Williams is very athletic, quick and can make plays but IMO, he's more of a W-OLB type for the CFL (and he's not about to displace a league best like McManis); and not all fast athlete linebackers have the nose for the ball smarts or pure tackling ability of the outstanding MLBs (like a Muamba)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Sure Williams was a contributor but I think Johnathan Jones is a much better player and it showed when he was in the lineup.
    How would you deploy your NAT starters if MLB goes INT?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Like with all CFL teams, IMO there are multiple options to get to 7 only thinking if that's the way it is pre-determined.

3 interior O-linemen + 2 receivers for 5 on O; then Metchie at safety + one National in the D_line rotation at all times (Robbie Smith, D. Knight, maybe a new guy).

3 starting NI receivers (let's say Brissett, Nield, Ungerer) = 8; + Cassar win the MLB job = 9; Jamie Harry possibly wins a starting corner job = 10; Adeboboye backed by a draft pick RB IF Ouelllette jumps ship = 11

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Kind of tough to answer until we see who they sign/retain.
    Getting Robbie Smith and Deionte Knight into the rotation more would help with any ratio concerns.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Kind of tough to answer until we see who they sign/retain.
    Getting Robbie Smith and Deionte Knight into the rotation more would help with any ratio concerns.
    Both of those guys should and will play lots of snaps, but counting on a D-lineman as one of seven starters could be risky IMO. Let's say Smith were to get hurt, forcing either Knight or Marion to play on every down. That sounds fine in theory, but it would mean sitting either Brinkman or Ceresna on every snap (unless Ceresna bumps out to DE, which can and likely will happen from time to time). Last year one of the strengths of the Argo defence was the interior of the line with (for some games, at least) an embarrassment of riches in Hendrix, Oakman and Brinkman rotating through. I'd hate to lose that ability, because of ratio issues, if we were somehow to end up with one of the two FAs coming back in addition to Brinkman and Ceresna.

I think my overriding point is that Williams is more than capable of starting, and having him at MLB gives the team a lot of flexibility in how NATs are deployed. Losing a proven NAT starter would have repercussions elsewhere. And as much as I like Jones, I would not be surprised if Williams graded as high or higher. We don't always know what a particular position is expected to do, especially in the middle of the defence where sometimes the roles are to occupy opponents to free up a teammate for the higher-profile play.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Both of those guys should and will play lots of snaps, but counting on a D-lineman as one of seven starters could be risky IMO. Let's say Smith were to get hurt, forcing either Knight or Marion to play on every down. That sounds fine in theory, but it would mean sitting either Brinkman or Ceresna on every snap (unless Ceresna bumps out to DE, which can and likely will happen from time to time). Last year one of the strengths of the Argo defence was the interior of the line with (for some games, at least) an embarrassment of riches in Hendrix, Oakman and Brinkman rotating through. I'd hate to lose that ability, because of ratio issues, if we were somehow to end up with one of the two FAs coming back in addition to Brinkman and Ceresna.

I think my overriding point is that Williams is more than capable of starting, and having him at MLB gives the team a lot of flexibility in how NATs are deployed. Losing a proven NAT starter would have repercussions elsewhere. And as much as I like Jones, I would not be surprised if Williams graded as high or higher. We don't always know what a particular position is expected to do, especially in the middle of the defence where sometimes the roles are to occupy opponents to free up a teammate for the higher-profile play.
    I agree, having a Canadian start at LB would help elsewhere in the lineup, completely disagree with your assertion that Williams grades higher than Jones.
    The next 2-3 weeks are going to be quite interesting, who will the Argonauts sign/retain and who will be the DC.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Williams lost his starting MLB job in BC to Hladik (similar big size MLB, athletic tester, U Sports resume to Cassar).

Williams is very athletic, quick and can make plays but IMO, he's more of a W-OLB type for the CFL (and he's not about to displace a league best like McManis); and not all fast athlete linebackers have the nose for the ball smarts or pure tackling ability of the outstanding MLBs (like a Muamba)
    Did MLB Jordan Williams lose his job in BC? I thought he requested a trade to an Eastern team due to off field business related matters?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree, having a Canadian start at LB would help elsewhere in the lineup, completely disagree with your assertion that Williams grades higher than Jones.
    I did not assert that; I said it would not surprise me. I don't have access to coaches' grades. I'd love to know how RD and CM graded their linebackers last season. It would not surprise me if they had Williams graded as high or higher than Jones. There have been many times over the years when fans rated players higher (or lower) than coaches and GMs did. This might be one of those times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Did MLB Jordan Williams lose his job in BC? I thought he requested a trade to an Eastern team due to off field business related matters?
    He and the team both said he requested the trade. I wasn't watching the Lions closely enough to know what happened there in 2022, but Williams made 89 defensive tackles that year, and three forced fumbles. Hladik made 69 DTs, two sacks, two INTs and one FF. Sounds like both guys played quite a bit that season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    He and the team both said he requested the trade. I wasn't watching the Lions closely enough to know what happened there in 2022, but Williams made 89 defensive tackles that year, and three forced fumbles. Hladik made 69 DTs, two sacks, two INTs and one FF. Sounds like both guys played quite a bit that season.
    Hladik ended up playing more reps and taking over the MLB job by early to mid season after Williams opened the season as starting MLB; I believe starting W-OLB Lokombo might have been hurt some and Williams slid over to that spot with Hladik taking MLB, and then it stayed that way late into the season and into the play-offs. Lokombo was quite the better OLB over Jordan IMO, but maybe the Lions coaches didn't think so or Lokombo was still nicked when he got back on the roster and Williams continued to hold that OLB job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    In my mind, Williams was a disappointment last year. That's not to say he won't be great this year. Cam Judge appeared to be a huge disappointment in 2021 with the Argos, and has been phenomenal the last 2 years in Calgary.
    I would love to see the Argos get Cassar back under contract and give him every opportunity to win or share the MLB spot. Williams is also a high ticket, so it really would not surprise me to see him moved or let go depending on how the roster gets filled.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    In my mind, Williams was a disappointment last year. That's not to say he won't be great this year. Cam Judge appeared to be a huge disappointment in 2021 with the Argos, and has been phenomenal the last 2 years in Calgary.
    I would love to see the Argos get Cassar back under contract and give him every opportunity to win or share the MLB spot. Williams is also a high ticket, so it really would not surprise me to see him moved or let go depending on how the roster gets filled.
    A lot to be decided Angelo, Cassar was very highly touted coming out of college and you would hate to see him blossom elsewhere.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Brilliant. You're hired!
    Oh please! It was your idea that started it! Give yourself a huge bonus!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A lot to be decided Angelo, Cassar was very highly touted coming out of college and you would hate to see him blossom elsewhere.
    Ryan D and other Argo coaches should have a good handle by now if Cassar can step-up to be a starting MLB; hopefully determined by real TC competition; or maybe Williams or Jones are up to the job; or a new MLB recruit.