Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Ok; i guess on these kinda forums we should not be asking any questions about the Argo football team. Do you think somebody is going to suggest he be tied-up and interrogated for cripes sake ? - how bout a simple explanation ? What do you think would happen if a veteran Maple Leafs star who had helped them win the Stanley Cup the season before, and who may or may not have been contemplating retirement, was held out a whole season, and seemed healthy enough to play for a play-off run, but nothing/zip was said about it ? Do you really think the Toronto or Canadian sports media or the majority of Maple Leafs fans would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "oh well" ?

And no, Henoc or nobody else on the defence was responsible for the offence turning the ball over to lead to a bunch of Montreal points; but veteran, smart, play-making D players can sometimes make big plays to turn the tide in a big game, or else maybe provide some fiery leadership spark to rally the troops. Argos won the previous GC with Henoc in the line-up and playing very well; they got spanked in the play-offs one season later without him = this we know.
    I'm going to agree with you here. There is nothing wrong with wanting an explanation for a legendary Argos player sitting out for a whole season with no explanation. If a similar situation happened with the Leafs, the media coverage would be endless and it never would get this far. They would be stalking Henoc with helicopters.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The second coming of Carnac the magnificent.
    Sis Boom Bah
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Ok; i guess on these kinda forums we should not be asking any questions about the Argo football team. Do you think somebody is going to suggest he be tied-up and interrogated for cripes sake ? - how bout a simple explanation ? What do you think would happen if a veteran Maple Leafs star who had helped them win the Stanley Cup the season before, and who may or may not have been contemplating retirement, was held out a whole season, and seemed healthy enough to play for a play-off run, but nothing/zip was said about it ? Do you really think the Toronto or Canadian sports media or the majority of Maple Leafs fans would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "oh well" ?
    Here's the thing -- you keep insinuating that the organization buried Muamba, against his wishes, at the cost of team success (on a team that tied the all-time record for victories; what a cost was incurred). You seem unwilling to accept the notion that there might be some other reason(s) he was on IR all season. Regardless of that, we as fans have no "right" to know what actually happened. If the player or the team want to explain it publicly, they will. If they don't want to, they won't. No amount of griping about it on a fan forum is going to change that.

As you well know (because you complain about it frequently) the Argos/CFL are not in the same hemisphere as the Leafs/NHL when it comes to media coverage or fan interest. And yet Corey Perry somehow got terminated by an NHL team and no explanation, let alone a "simple explanation," has ever been given. Funny that.

Muamba, with a weekly public platform, certainly has had umpteen opportunities to get something off his chest if he wished to do so.

Argos also won the previous Grey Cup with Bladek in the lineup, and a few others who didn't suit up in the 2023 EF. I guess they all might have made a difference, too.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Though it is somewhat disconcerting to see the Argos trade away 2 starting Canadians, one has to believe they have a larger plan in mind. Right now, the starting 7 Canadians would likely be Metchie and Smith on D, Hunter, Nicastro and Giffen on the OL and Ungerer and Nield at WR. This may change as the team completes the roster.

The administration has adroitly constructed an excellent roster over the past couple of years. Based on recent experience, one can expect to see the same occurring for this season. At least I hope so.
    I agree mgmt is undoubtedly formulating a good plan to replace the five starting-calibre NATs we are losing this off-season, as well as some support players who might be lured elsewhere in two weeks. But our NAT depth, a gigantic strength of the org the past couple of seasons, is going to be severely tested.

I agree on six of your projected starters -- three o-line, two receivers and safety. I'm far from sure about the seventh. Smith is definitely starting-calibre and will definitely play a lot on defence, but if he's one of the seven, the d-line rotation -- also a strength the past couple of seasons -- gets challenged (as I've mentioned previously). Knight is an excellent player who will see more playing time, but unless he or another DT can bump out to end, we could end up being forced to sit a very strong INT tackle at times.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I'm going to agree with you here. There is nothing wrong with wanting an explanation for a legendary Argos player sitting out for a whole season with no explanation. If a similar situation happened with the Leafs, the media coverage would be endless and it never would get this far. They would be stalking Henoc with helicopters.
    Well said. I agree with OV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Here's the thing -- you keep insinuating that the organization buried Muamba, against his wishes, at the cost of team success (on a team that tied the all-time record for victories; what a cost was incurred). You seem unwilling to accept the notion that there might be some other reason(s) he was on IR all season. Regardless of that, we as fans have no "right" to know what actually happened. If the player or the team want to explain it publicly, they will. If they don't want to, they won't. No amount of griping about it on a fan forum is going to change that.

As you well know (because you complain about it frequently) the Argos/CFL are not in the same hemisphere as the Leafs/NHL when it comes to media coverage or fan interest. And yet Corey Perry somehow got terminated by an NHL team and no explanation, let alone a "simple explanation," has ever been given. Funny that.

Muamba, with a weekly public platform, certainly has had umpteen opportunities to get something off his chest if he wished to do so.

Argos also won the previous Grey Cup with Bladek in the lineup, and a few others who didn't suit up in the 2023 EF. I guess they all might have made a difference, too.
    Your interpretation that my comments suggest the Argos purposely "buried" Muamba "against his wishes" is way over the top hyperbole; but kinda predictable from those who like to believe know-nothing couch potato fans should never dare question the inscrutable football geniuses who run their fave football teams.

I'm open to any simple explanation - might be nice to hear; but the Argos or Henoc are under no obligation to provide one of course; or are you going to put words in my mouth on that as well ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Your interpretation that my comments suggest the Argos purposely "buried" Muamba "against his wishes" is way over the top hyperbole; but kinda predictable from those who like to believe know-nothing couch potato fans should never dare question the inscrutable football geniuses who run their fave football teams.

I'm open to any simple explanation - might be nice to hear; but the Argos or Henoc are under no obligation to provide one of course; or are you going to put words in my mouth on that as well ?
    Even know-nothing couch potato fans can probably discern that you do a more than adequate job of putting words in your own mouth, OV. You've certainly had plenty to say about this situation, going back months. Maybe there actually isn't a "simple explanation." You open to that possibility as well?

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Getting back to the Jordan Williams trade, I think that it is safe to say that salary had something to do with the transaction. With so many free agents to resign, it is likely that management had to make a tough decision with players such as Gittens and Williams.

As for the return on the trade, the one unknown is if the Argos can sign Deontay Burnett at some point. I watched Burnett a fair bit for USC and he has IMO, a good skillset to be a productive slotback in this league. He doesn't have deep speed but has real quickness off of the line and can get open.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Though it is somewhat disconcerting to see the Argos trade away 2 starting Canadians, one has to believe they have a larger plan in mind. Right now, the starting 7 Canadians would likely be Metchie and Smith on D, Hunter, Nicastro and Giffen on the OL and Ungerer and Nield at WR. This may change as the team completes the roster.

The administration has adroitly constructed an excellent roster over the past couple of years. Based on recent experience, one can expect to see the same occurring for this season. At least I hope so.
    Are you forgetting about Brissett still possibly being an Argo receiver this coming season ?

Gittens was a tough loss maybe; but maybe the team feels there is a good chance that former draft pick receiver J. Wayne washes-out in NFL opportunity and could sign? And with the Argos draft position and pretty good Canadian depth overall, they might decide to draft another receiver (like perhaps Laval stud Kevin Mital) - to have more Canadian talent there? (still like to see a top safety prospect drafted early to go with Metchie; plus maybe a D-lineman who could play in the rotation)

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    AJ will be at Greektown wrestling on March 9. Not sure a potential new employer would like that.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ticats release DE Jon Kongbo ? - Argos should think of him, IMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Are you forgetting about Brissett still possibly being an Argo receiver this coming season ?

Gittens was a tough loss maybe; but maybe the team feels there is a good chance that former draft pick receiver J. Wayne washes-out in NFL opportunity and could sign? And with the Argos draft position and pretty good Canadian depth overall, they might decide to draft another receiver (like perhaps Laval stud Kevin Mital) - to have more Canadian talent there? (still like to see a top safety prospect drafted early to go with Metchie; plus maybe a D-lineman who could play in the rotation)
    You are right regarding Brissett but I was referring to the team right now and the players presently signed at this time. I realize the Canadian starters could well change as new players are signed. Let's hope Brissett will be signed soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ticats release DE Jon Kongbo ? - Argos should think of him, IMO
    I’d take a look, but not really commit to him. I think he’s been a huge disappointment thus far in his career.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I’d take a look, but not really commit to him. I think he’s been a huge disappointment thus far in his career.
    I would be hesitant to pay him a whole lot either.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    AJ will be at Greektown wrestling on March 9. Not sure a potential new employer would like that.
    As a member of the Toronto Argonauts I predict. Football players regularly wrestled in the offseason in the 70s. I figure AJ will be kept safe and will probably just spear some guy through a table only because he so richly deserved it.

Good way to promote the Argos.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    As a member of the Toronto Argonauts I predict. Football players regularly wrestled in the offseason in the 70s. I figure AJ will be kept safe and will probably just spear some guy through a table only because he so richly deserved it.

He got a bit more involved in August when he wrestled. Nothing major, but more than just the spear I was expecting.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Didn't impress much with the Ticats last season IMO, but didn't play that much.

Was very impressive when first with the Bombers though - even as a rotation guy, and played reps at DE & DT; went on to make an NFL roster after that = guy has talent, lotsa built-up pro experience and is not that old.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would be hesitant to pay him a whole lot either.
    Never heard of this guy….

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Never heard of this guy….

He left B.C.under a bit of a cloud

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

I believe he’ll be back and him being still involved with the TO wrestling circuit is somewhat positive news.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.