Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Given Ciraco's signing, I can see one of the following scenarios:

1. Ryan Hunter retires unexpectedly. I certainly hope that this isn't the case since I strongly believe that if not for Dejon Allen, he would have been the Most Outstanding Lineman in the league last season

2. Ryan Hunter moves to left tackle since Isaiah Cage has had some past injury problems

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Giffen re-signed earlier, I believe.
    You are right; my bad, so i guess he will carry on as a back-up - unless him or Hunter get a shot at OT ?

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Perhaps a thought to starting 4 Canadians on the OL with Dejon Allen at RT.

Allows for another American elsewhere.
    Hunter, Giffen, Ciriaco, Nicastro and Allen upfront - pretty top shelf starting unit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Saskatchewan sure could have used an upgrade at C. But as a comic in all seriousness, the Argos boast the best O line in the CFL by far.
    They also have the best QB. The best Canadian depth.

Grey Cup contenders in 2024.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Saskatchewan sure could have used an upgrade at C. But as a comic in all seriousness, the Argos boast the best O line in the CFL by far.
    They also have the best QB. The best Canadian depth.

Grey Cup contenders in 2024.
    Still some work to do, hopefully a productive weekend!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'll be shocked if the starting o-line is anything other than Cage-Hunter-Ciraco-Nicastro-Allen. As good a prospect as Giffen is, I don't see him replacing either Hunter or Nicastro at guard. And bumping Hunter out to tackle, while opening an INT spot elsewhere, would mean there's a need for a capable backup NAT tackle. I don't see one of those on the roster or on the horizon.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'll be shocked if the starting o-line is anything other than Cage-Hunter-Ciraco-Nicastro-Allen. As good a prospect as Giffen is, I don't see him replacing either Hunter or Nicastro at guard. And bumping Hunter out to tackle, while opening an INT spot elsewhere, would mean there's a need for a capable backup NAT tackle. I don't see one of those on the roster or on the horizon.
    I agree with this. Along with a solid starting 5, you need quality depth, which is where Giffen will and should be slotted this year.

Having said that, 3DN is the only source that I have seen report this signing of Ciraco. Argos certainly have not made it official. I hope their sources are correct here.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The re-signing appears on CFL.ca's transaction page.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Impending problems require creative solutions. We all thought Nicastro would be back at Centre after missing the previous season with a knee injury. Ciraco was practically a bargain basement FA last year, and was a plug and play starting centre forcing Nicastro to Guard.

Don't underestimate the ability for the Argonauts to scour for a backup NAT Tackle, much like Ciraco possibly looking to boost his value on a 1 year deal. A lack of backup tackle today shouldn't preclude the team from at least considering Hunter at OT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/31/2...nsive-linemen/

David Knevel or Sean Jameison can be the reclamation projects at Tackle.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Argos made the Ciraco re-signing official.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Nice for sure ! - Argo interior 3 set with Ciraco, plus Hunter & Nicastro? Maybe means Dylan Giffen will like to sign somewhere as a FA for a chance to start ?
    Giffen is already under contract with the Argos - right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Giffen is already under contract with the Argos - right?
    Yes - and Paul corrected my mistake above.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    Impending problems require creative solutions. We all thought Nicastro would be back at Centre after missing the previous season with a knee injury. Ciraco was practically a bargain basement FA last year, and was a plug and play starting centre forcing Nicastro to Guard.

Don't underestimate the ability for the Argonauts to scour for a backup NAT Tackle, much like Ciraco possibly looking to boost his value on a 1 year deal. A lack of backup tackle today shouldn't preclude the team from at least considering Hunter at OT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/31/2...nsive-linemen/

David Knevel or Sean Jameison can be the reclamation projects at Tackle.

Als' Landon Rice was a CFL all-star OT before getting injured and losing his starting job last season; older guy now but maybe could be signed for fairly cheap. Philip Blake is still in the Riders' plans it seems.

And you have to replace any injured starter with a back-up and those guys are often not as good as the starter they are replacing; why it's such a worry to some CFL observers with regards to Canadian starters, I don't really get. Must be a "numbers game" thing? Who's the superstar import OT who is going to replace Allen or Cage if they get hurt ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Als' Landon Rice was a CFL all-star OT before getting injured and losing his starting job last season; older guy now but maybe could be signed for fairly cheap. Philip Blake is still in the Riders' plans it seems.

And you have to replace any injured starter with a back-up and those guys are often not as good as the starter they are replacing; why it's such a worry to some CFL observers with regards to Canadian starters, I don't really get. Must be a "numbers game" thing? Who's the superstar import OT who is going to replace Allen or Cage if they get hurt ?
    If either one gets hurt, Hunter slides to tackle and Giffen at guard. To me, this is the best scenario having Giffen as your #6 o-lineman. Great depth and flexibility.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If either one gets hurt, Hunter slides to tackle and Giffen at guard. To me, this is the best scenario having Giffen as your #6 o-lineman. Great depth and flexibility.
    Argos are smart enough to dress 2 back-up O-linemen; be nice to have one of them with some OT ability; but having one of your starting OGs quite able to slide out to OT if necessary is nice; and Giffen was an all-star OT at Western.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Hunter as the in-game backup at tackle makes all the sense in the world to me. And why would we not go with the same o-line that was -- by far, IMO -- best in the league last year? Looking to make a change there in order to change the ratio somewhere else would be tantamount to causing a bigger problem that you're solving, IMO. I'm on record as worrying a bit about where the minimum seven NATs will line up now that we've lost a NAT MLB, but going to four on the o-line would be my last resort. Far rather have three NAT receivers or one NAT on the d-line (even though both of those have associated issues to sort out) than disrupt one of the things that worked so well last year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos are smart enough to dress 2 back-up O-linemen; be nice to have one of them with some OT ability; but having one of your starting OGs quite able to slide out to OT if necessary is nice; and Giffen was an all-star OT at Western.
    IMO the priorities for backups are, in order, 1a tackle, 1b centre, and 2 guard. Once you have 1a and 1b covered (which the Argos do with Hunter and Nicastro), the next need is someone who can fill in at guard. That's Giffen and MacKellar. IMO Giffen can also play tackle in a pinch, but if either Cage or Allen were to get injured during a game, Hunter would be my first choice as replacement. Then Giffen or MacKellar could replace Hunter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos interior 3 with Ciraco, Nicastro & Hunter is top notch (and both Ciraco & Nicastro have C ability to provide the depth there); plus Allen is a top OT as well.

Giffen & MacKellar as talented depth with experience is also very strong; both of these guys were all-star OTs in U Sports ball and might get a shot to compete for the other starting OT job; just like Hunter might get a shot at that OT job with Giffen going to OG if that's how things grade out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Back in late December, the Argos announced they had signed Isaiah Bowser. He was on the team's negotiation list. However he doesn't appear on the team's roster list. Did I miss something here or has Bowser not signed with the team? Anyone know?

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Bowser is indeed under contract. He signed a couple of days before Christmas and posting the bio must have fallen through the holiday cracks. I've re-filed the bio and will make sure it's posted. Thanks for the catch and if anyone ever sees something like this please reach out to me via DM here or on Twitter and I can clarify or correct. Go Argos.