Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgofanIan View Post
    AJ is a fan favorite... and seems to be a good guy ....we might loose a few in ticket sales if he splits... He is pretty marketable as well for which ever team gets him... Should be priority IMO but what do I know...
    There are several schools of thought here:

(i) That A.J as a running back is a dime a dozen (which I disagree with BTW), I'm sure some of us have read about the stories out of the US about the value of a RB.

(ii) I think A.J can play a valuable part of the fan rebuild with the Argos. He's charismatic off the field and is a talented player on it. I do agree that the Argos need to consider weighing his all-around contribution vs just simply the on-field one.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgofanIan View Post
    AJ is a fan favorite... and seems to be a good guy ....we might loose a few in ticket sales if he splits... He is pretty marketable as well for which ever team gets him... Should be priority IMO but what do I know...
    AJ is marketable. He was making regular appearances for Greektown Wrestling in Toronto. If he leaves, he won’t have that marketing angle going for him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Should I give myself a pat on the back? I am 2 for the in personnel predictions. I called Gittens and now Williams getting moved.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    That never gets old. I will spend the rest of the day watching that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I really think you should. Now, for the Tri Fecta, who is going to be named Argos DC?
    I stick to player personnel predictions.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If it was indeed a salary dump then perhaps the Argos had no leverage.
    Feels like one...

Count me among those who weren't blown away by his play level, but definitely I wasn't in any rush to see him gone either. I'd sure hate to see him have a career season in the Donut Box.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The trade involving the playing rights to Jordan Williams makes it sound like he is an upcoming free agent unless language used to signify we traded a player under contact for a player who is on the neg list. I’m being a bit facetious given the discussion yesterday.

I think AJ will re-sign but adding mystery and suspense around it. Like a wrestling storyline.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The trade involving the playing rights to Jordan Williams makes it sound like he is an upcoming free agent unless language used to signify we traded a player under contact for a player who is on the neg list.
    I think you are on to something. "Playing rights to JW" is the type of thing that would be said if his contract were about to expire. Which IMO it likely is since (as best I can discern, given the lack of 2023 transactions on cfl.ca) the team did not announce an extension last year and NAT rookies are mandated to sign three-year entry deals. So Ham gets the right to talk to him exclusively for one week (and will presumably sign him, whatever it costs). If that's the case, I feel better about the otherwise underwhelming return we got in the deal. I'm guessing Argos found out his asking price and decided he was simply too expensive, and moved to get something/anything for him rather than have him walk for nothing.

That said, this is now four starting-calibre NATs we have lost since last season. Admittedly, two of them were not needed last year, and the other two did not play up to the standards set in prior years (in one case through no fault of hios own). And it's at least conceivable (albeit almost impossible to imagine) that Muamba will not retire after all. But losing four NATs who have started and/or will start elsewhere this year, with no NATs coming back in those transactions, gives me pause.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I really think you should. Now, for the Tri Fecta, who is going to be named Argos DC?
    Don't encourage him!

I don't mind the exchange of draft picks. Moving up two spots in the 1st round probably means they're targeting specific players, likely o-linemen, the strength of this draft. No 2nd or 4th round picks, but three in the 3rd round and two each in the 5th and 6th rounds give the Argos more than enough draft capital.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The trade involving the playing rights to Jordan Williams makes it sound like he is an upcoming free agent unless language used to signify we traded a player under contact for a player who is on the neg list. I’m being a bit facetious given the discussion yesterday.

I think AJ will re-sign but adding mystery and suspense around it. Like a wrestling storyline.
    Gabe….where do see the Playing Rights to Jordan Williams? I can’t find that anywhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Gabe….where do see the Playing Rights to Jordan Williams? I can’t find that anywhere.
    Jumping in here, this is the full news release:

ARGOS STRIKE DEAL WITH HAMILTON

TORONTO - The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today they have reached a trade agreement with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Details of the trade are as follows:

Toronto receives Hamilton's:
    • 2024 1st round CFL Draft pick (5th overall)
    • 2024 3rd round CFL Draft pick (24th overall)
    • 2024 3rd round CFL Draft pick (25th overall)
    • 2025 3rd round CFL Draft pick (conditional)
    • Negotiation rights to American WR Deontay Burnett (Southern California)

Hamilton receives Toronto's:
    Playing rights to Canadian LB Jordan Williams
    • 2024 1st round CFL Draft pick (7th overall)
    • 2024 2nd round CFL Draft pick (16th overall)
    • 2024 4th round CFL Draft pick (36th overall)
    • 2025 4th round CFL Draft pick (conditional)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Also, the team has just confirmed re-signing Jonathan Jones.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Back to the no Henoc last season: are we ever going to get an explanation? - he was nicked /injured still and unable to play at even close to 90%?; his heart really wasn't into playing?; the team & D felt they didn't really need him?; it was all about saving $M$ room? It better have been the first or 2nd reason, cause otherwise, I have lost some or a lot of respect for those responsible for the other reason decisions there, considering the East Final melt-down as opposed to the result the year before with Henoc playing.

He's now maybe going to play again ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Back to the no Henoc last season: are we ever going to get an explanation? - he was nicked /injured still and unable to play at even close to 90%?; his heart really wasn't into playing?; the team & D felt they didn't really need him?; it was all about saving $M$ room? It better have been the first or 2nd reason, cause otherwise, I have lost some or a lot of respect for those responsible for the other reason decisions there, considering the East Final melt-down as opposed to the result the year before with Henoc playing.

He's now maybe going to play again ???
    My theory is that he was going to retire and the team convinced to stick around as insurance. I believe he was an unofficial coach last year, so it will be interesting to see if he is on the coaching staff when they announce it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Jumping in here, this is the full news release:

ARGOS STRIKE DEAL WITH HAMILTON

TORONTO - The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today they have reached a trade agreement with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Details of the trade are as follows:

Toronto receives Hamilton's:
    • 2024 1st round CFL Draft pick (5th overall)
    • 2024 3rd round CFL Draft pick (24th overall)
    • 2024 3rd round CFL Draft pick (25th overall)
    • 2025 3rd round CFL Draft pick (conditional)
    • Negotiation rights to American WR Deontay Burnett (Southern California)

Hamilton receives Toronto's:
    Playing rights to Canadian LB Jordan Williams
    • 2024 1st round CFL Draft pick (7th overall)
    • 2024 2nd round CFL Draft pick (16th overall)
    • 2024 4th round CFL Draft pick (36th overall)
    • 2025 4th round CFL Draft pick (conditional)
    Well now Hamilton fans can be confused if Williams is a pending FA or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Ever considered the possibility that Muamba might have been actively involved in the decision, and signed off on it? Ever considered the notion that he doesn't owe anyone outside of the org and his own family an explanation?

Are you seriously suggesting the defence, or the starting MLB, was responsible for the "melt-down" in the Eastern Final?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ever considered the possibility that Muamba might have been actively involved in the decision, and signed off on it? Ever considered the notion that he doesn't owe anyone outside of the org and his own family an explanation?

Are you seriously suggesting the defence, or the starting MLB, was responsible for the "melt-down" in the Eastern Final?
    Ok; i guess on these kinda forums we should not be asking any questions about the Argo football team. Do you think somebody is going to suggest he be tied-up and interrogated for cripes sake ? - how bout a simple explanation ? What do you think would happen if a veteran Maple Leafs star who had helped them win the Stanley Cup the season before, and who may or may not have been contemplating retirement, was held out a whole season, and seemed healthy enough to play for a play-off run, but nothing/zip was said about it ? Do you really think the Toronto or Canadian sports media or the majority of Maple Leafs fans would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "oh well" ?

And no, Henoc or nobody else on the defence was responsible for the offence turning the ball over to lead to a bunch of Montreal points; but veteran, smart, play-making D players can sometimes make big plays to turn the tide in a big game, or else maybe provide some fiery leadership spark to rally the troops. Argos won the previous GC with Henoc in the line-up and playing very well; they got spanked in the play-offs one season later without him = this we know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Though it is somewhat disconcerting to see the Argos trade away 2 starting Canadians, one has to believe they have a larger plan in mind. Right now, the starting 7 Canadians would likely be Metchie and Smith on D, Hunter, Nicastro and Giffen on the OL and Ungerer and Nield at WR. This may change as the team completes the roster.

The administration has adroitly constructed an excellent roster over the past couple of years. Based on recent experience, one can expect to see the same occurring for this season. At least I hope so.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Feels like one...

Count me among those who weren't blown away by his play level, but definitely I wasn't in any rush to see him gone either. I'd sure hate to see him have a career season in the Donut Box.
    I’m guessing the Argos did in fact grade these players (Williams and Jones) and acted accordingly.
    Happy to see Jones back in the fold.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I stick to player personnel predictions.
    The second coming of Carnac the magnificent.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions