Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
This is one where we will probably agree to disagree. Dukes is 6' 1" and 205. He will fill out with time. He started two games and would likely have won both if he had played the entire Winnipeg game (Scott came in, played briefly and looked terrible.) He is mobile, an accurate passer especially on short and medium passes, stays calm even when pressured, makes smart decisions and uses his feet to gain a 1st when necessary. In the two game he started, he played with a fair number of backups and still moved the team well. Will he become a starter?---maybe, maybe not, but don't rule him out. When watching practices I was impressed how he took charge of the offense. It became obvious fairly early that he was going to be the # 2 QB for the team. I still think for a rookie, he played extremely well but I understand your reservations.
I thought Dukes was very impressive too; but - the sample size is way too small yet IMO; a lot of folks were convinced the likes of Arbuckle was a next great QB based on playing some for a strong Stamps team with a good offence (same deal Dukes got last year). Dukes shows good promise, but that doesn't mean 1 or 2 new QBs could pass him with real TC competition and smart evaluators.

There are dozens of examples of young QBs who flash some talent when they first get a shot at playing time in the CFL - and that is a reason to have hope for them and keep them around. And a smart team IMO would carry 3 extra QBs on a roster and give them all plenty of playing time in ex. games and roll all of them in during a season, when possible (in blow-out games or meaningless games in the standings at end of year perhaps); until one of them has proven LOTS to claim #2 - there is very little reason to have a set #2 & #3 or 4 hierarchy, IMO.