Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Gabe must be going by Genius Sports Stats.
    LMAO. I swear I’m losing it. I was looking at defensive stats and for some reason 6 stuck in my head. Hendrix and Oakman both have 6. Point remains, as Angelo said DT is not a glamour position so losing a 1000 yard receiver hurts on paper. I’m sure chatter was the Argos losing this trade. But Edm fans may say otherwise.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Had he played his Canadian QB from Game 1 they would have made the playoffs and ended their ridiculous home winless streak.
    Extrapolating what might have happened earlier based on what happened later builds in a lot of unknowable what-ifs. Ford might also have been injured in Game 1, or at any other time. The Elks might not have won the four games they managed to win over the final 10 as teams learned earlier how to defend against Ford. Maybe Jones actually did understand what he had in Ford, and has now (finally) bought him some time to learn the position alongside an experienced veteran QB.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Of course he could -- all players always agree to do that.
    You mean it never happens in the CFL ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Well one thing is certain, the Gittens trade has resulted in a lot comments. Whether one thinks it was a good trade for the Argos, which many do or think is was a poor one, which a few do, we probably won't know the answer for at least a year, maybe two. Who knows, maybe Gittens will never fully get over his injury or Ceresna will prove to be less proficient at DT than Oakman and Hendrix. Only time will tell and hopefully all of us will be big enough not to say "I told you so".

The one thing I'd would like to see, is Ceresna following Orimolade example and agreeing to restructure his contract to help give the team some salary cap relief.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I wonder if this trade was a result of Jones consulting with MBT after he signed him, asking him about potential receivers that he would want to work with.

From my standpoint, I like this trade even though Gittens was excellent in 2022. Ceresna was the real lynchpin of the Elks defense last season and may prove to be the same for the Argos. It will be interesting to see who the new DC is as they might want to utilize Ceresna at either end or tackle depending on the down and situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Extrapolating what might have happened earlier based on what happened later builds in a lot of unknowable what-ifs. Ford might also have been injured in Game 1, or at any other time. The Elks might not have won the four games they managed to win over the final 10 as teams learned earlier how to defend against Ford. Maybe Jones actually did understand what he had in Ford, and has now (finally) bought him some time to learn the position alongside an experienced veteran QB.
    Jones was clearly high on Ford in 2022 when he drafted him in the first round and had him starting games before most thought he was ready. I know Jones gets a lot of heat for not putting Ford into games until the middle of last season but the word is that Ford did not have a good training camp and seemed to have regressed and needed to work his way back into playing time. The notion that Jones didn't play Ford for half of a season in 2023 because he is a Canadian falls flat when one considers that Jones played Ford in his rookie season, despite concerns from many that Ford wasn't ready for such playing time at that point.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Jones was clearly high on Ford in 2022 when he drafted him in the first round and had him starting games before most thought he was ready. I know Jones gets a lot of heat for not putting Ford into games until the middle of last season but the word is that Ford did not have a good training camp and seemed to have regressed and needed to work his way back into playing time. The notion that Jones didn't play Ford for half of a season in 2023 because he is a Canadian falls flat when one considers that Jones played Ford in his rookie season, despite concerns from many that Ford wasn't ready for such playing time at that point.
    The reason Ford didn’t start sooner last season, in my humble opinion is because Jones overspent on Cornelius after the latter had a so so stretch of success late in 2022. He had to play him out of the gate after committing that much cash. Jones saying Ford was having poor practices was load of hooey.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime31 View Post
    I wonder if this trade was a result of Jones consulting with MBT after he signed him, asking him about potential receivers that he would want to work with.

From my standpoint, I like this trade even though Gittens was excellent in 2022. Ceresna was the real lynchpin of the Elks defense last season and may prove to be the same for the Argos. It will be interesting to see who the new DC is as they might want to utilize Ceresna at either end or tackle depending on the down and situation.
    It is no coincidence (IMO) that this trade occurs shortly after MBT signs there.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Be interesting to find out who initiated this deal: Argos looking to dump Gittens' salary? I bet it was Jones who really valued Gittens as a Canadian 1000 yard receiver who had much success with the new EE QB.

Still say the trade could work out very well for both teams.

But couldn't Jones have just signed Brissett (or another experienced Canadian receiver) as a FA and then retained his best defensive player instead of having to give him up? Jones is not the brightest bulb out there - as either a HC or GM = EE headed to the basement again with that genius in charge.
    As previously stated above, I think EDM initiated the trade talks because of the MBT factor.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The reason Ford didn’t start sooner last season, in my humble opinion is because Jones overspent on Cornelius after the latter had a so so stretch of success late in 2022. He had to play him out of the gate after committing that much cash. Jones saying Ford was having poor practices was load of hooey.
    Bingo. I think Ford completed 8 of 9, albeit for not big yards in the first pre season game last year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Exactly; moron Jones over-spent big-time on an unproven QB and tried to justify it; he also way over-spent on receivers like Lawler & Lewis. He's clueless.

The Ford was not looking good in practice schtick was spin job from that clown; that he went to the totally raw rookie Doege first in relief of Cornelius was an obvious lack of respect for Ford and a slap in the face - put the uppity Canadian QB in his place for going for an NFL try-out and thinking he could start in the CFL. Again - if Ford does not run a 4.4 forty at the CFL Combine, there is no way Jones drafts him in the 1st round - he drafted him as a Canadian "athlete" who could maybe play safety or slotback, but then somebody on his staff could see Ford had real QB skills in TC and told ego-Jones.