Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Gittens traded to EDM for Ceresna

3Down just reported Argos traded Gittens to the Elks for DT Ceresna. Can't figure this one! Ceresma is an American and was the 2nd highest paid DT in league last year. Unless there is more to this trade than first announced it seems to make no sense. The best Canadian WR in 2022 for an American DT with a high salary--what? The Argos must figure on losing a couple of American DTs to free agency or this deal makes no sense at all.

If this were April 1 I'd think it was an April Fools joke.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    3DN is reporting Argos have traded KGJ to Edm for Jake Ceresna. Two high-salary guys, so it's not a money-saving move. As good as Ceresna is (one of the best in the league at his position), this depresses me not only because I HATE to lose a guy as good as Gittens, but also because it almost certainly means we are preparing to say goodbye to Oakman and/or Hendrix. Hopefully we can keep one of those two guys. I believe Brissett and Nield are capable of replacing Gittens, and we have decent depth there with Sindani and Ungerer. But man, losing great players who are also great team guys really sucks.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I hate to see Gittens Jr leave, but I get it. We were the best team in the league last season without needing him to be a big impact. And to justify a salary his size under the cap, he has to be a nailed-on 80+ reception, 1k+ yards guy. And then there was his injury...
    We wish him well with his reunion with MBT.

Jake Ceresna is a fantastic player. Like others, I'd imagine that means either or both of Hendrix or Oakman won't be re-signed. I'd love to see Hendrix back. Him and Ceresna (and Brinkman) together would be a sight to behold.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This warrants its own thread.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    I'd love to see Hendrix back. Him and Ceresna (and Brinkman) together would be a sight to behold.
    My preference as well. Hendrix is a beast, and hugely underrated. Oakman is also great but he seemed less important last year than 99.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    3Down just reported Argos traded Gittens to the Elks for DT Ceresna. Can't figure this one! Ceresma is an American and was the 2nd highest paid DT in league last year. Unless there is more to this trade than first announced it seems to make no sense. The best Canadian WR in 2022 for an American DT with a high salary--what? The Argos must figure on losing a couple of American DTs to free agency or this deal makes no sense at all.

If this were April 1 I'd think it was an April Fools joke.
    It's 2 top notch / league best calibre players - at very different positions - traded for one and other.

Both teams maybe seeing need and I speculated earlier in this thread that Jonestown might like to get Gittens who had a 1000 yard season with new EE QB MBT just 2 years back - big upgrade to their receiving corps; and Gittens might have fallen out of favor a bit in Argo land with missing much of last season plus the emergence of Brissett, Nield, Ungerer (?).

Ceresna is about the best DT in the league IMO - so, very nice to acquire him (and would off-set the loss of Oakman or Hendrix, or both - Ceresna is better than either IMO); and Argos still have Brinkman and Knight to help fill the DT rotation.

This trade could work very well for both teams; still sad to lose a talent like Gittens though

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The full trade is as follows:

Toronto receives DL Jake Ceresna and the negotiating rights to RB Khalan Laborn.

Edmonton receives WR Kurleigh Gittens Jr., and a 2024 7th round pick.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not surprised, I figured the Argonauts would move on from Gittens.
    This tells me the Argos are expecting to lose some talent on the DL in free agency, great trade bringing in one of the best in the league IMO.
    Signing Brissett should now be even higher priority.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I called this move after the season . Not surprised at all. Ceresna might be the best interior lineman in the league. Provided the Argos re-sign Brissett, this is a great trade. I honestly expected Gittens to be released and am thrilled they got such a quality player for him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    I suspect Gittens was likely offered the same "restructuring" special as DaVaris and Orimolade. He was already due a bonus in February - probably offered to convert some part of the $210,000 2024 salary to bonus. He balked. And then was traded. Arguably, the Argos don't make this deal - unless they already have a Brissett deal agreed to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Obviously I'm in the minority here but I still contend this is a poor deal from an Argo perspective. Trading an outstanding 26 year old Canadian for an outstanding 29 year old American is not an equal trade as it is more difficult to find a Canadian starter of that calibre than an American.. Personally, I do not believe Ceresna is any better than Oakman or Hendrix but of course we have to take into account that the Argos might have felt they were going to lose one of those players to free agency anyway.

Gittens was the best Canadian WR in the league in 2022 and runner up for best Canadian that year. As much as I admire Nield and Brissett neither come close to that level. Now if Gittens had been traded for Ford, that would have been a better deal.

It may have been Gittens refused to restructure his contract but since Ceresna earns about the same amount, there is no savings from the trade. I fear this trade will come back to haunt the Argos. I may be a voice in the wilderness on this one and I may be proven wrong but that is might take on the trade at this time.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I also think that trading Gittens is a big loss and even though Brissett, Nield, Ungerer all had some good games last seasons, I still don't think they equal Gittens when he's in top form. I guess as others have noted, it does mean that there are number of Argo defensive players who won't be resigned, so they had to trade to fill the gap. But still hate to see that Gittens is no longer an Argo!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Obviously I'm in the minority here but I still contend this is a poor deal from an Argo perspective. Trading an outstanding 26 year old Canadian for an outstanding 29 year old American is not an equal trade as it is more difficult to find a Canadian starter of that calibre than an American.. Personally, I do not believe Ceresna is any better than Oakman or Hendrix but of course we have to take into account that the Argos might have felt they were going to lose one of those players to free agency anyway.

Gittens was the best Canadian WR in the league in 2022 and runner up for best Canadian that year. As much as I admire Nield and Brissett neither come close to that level. Now if Gittens had been traded for Ford, that would have been a better deal.

It may have been Gittens refused to restructure his contract but since Ceresna earns about the same amount, there is no savings from the trade. I fear this trade will come back to haunt the Argos. I may be a voice in the wilderness on this one and I may be proven wrong but that is might take on the trade at this time.
    I agree. I do not like this trade and I have a bad feeling about it. The Argos should be getting more in this deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Hate seeing Gittens leave and to loose a good Canadian. Think in 2022 there were times he was our best player.

I figure Oakman could be leaving as well. He is really good. I have to think other teams will make him a serious offer. ( but what do I know...LOL )

But real drag to see Gittens move on for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gittens was almost certainly going to be a cap casualty without restructuring, and we can assume he had no interest in that. Getting a good player back in a trade is a good piece of roster management by the Argos.

New Fan
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Agree but why did we sign him to such a large and long term contract in the first place. The CFL is much too fluid to be dishing that out ,especially for a receiver. Hate to say it but lots of good receivers out there Canadian or otherwise. They should have learned from the DERREL WALKER signing. I know I have his bobblehead.LOL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGOMAN 27 View Post
    Agree but why did we sign him to such a large and long term contract in the first place. The CFL is much too fluid to be dishing that out ,especially for a receiver. Hate to say it but lots of good receivers out there Canadian or otherwise. They should have learned from the DERREL WALKER signing. I know I have his bobblehead.LOL.
    You always have to pay a premium for top Canadian players, and they had no idea how Brissett and Nield would progress. Having seem them perform last year, they obviously decided that the money should be distributed differently, so they moved him. I like Gittens, but as I previously said, his huge season came playing mostly the wide side WR position, MBT liked throwing to that wide side. I personally think he struggled when moved to SB last season.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Well so many other teams and players have recently done restructuring deals that if the Argos had offered Gittens one, maybe he wanted to keep his current salary level more than he wanted to stay with the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    Well so many other teams and players have recently done restructuring deals that if the Argos had offered Gittens one, maybe he wanted to keep his current salary level more than he wanted to stay with the Argos.
    Personally I wouldn’t fault any player for not restructuring a deal. The reality in the CFL is that you face the risk of being cut if you don’t. I don’t like that aspect of the league to be honest. Seems hypocritical to me. Teams can come up with BS injuries to 6 game players and fully pay them, but not honour contracts presumably signed in good faith.
    I expected Gittens to be moved or cut. Doesn’t mean I like it. But at least the Argos made a really good deal in trading him.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I totally agree. I don't fault any player for wanting the larger paycheque, especially when you consider how many players only play for maybe 10 years. And although I hate to see Gittens leave, it might end up being a positive move for him to be on a team that needs some strong receivers and to play with a QB he knows. Plus as you point out at least the Argos got some value in the trade in an area where they might need to strengthen.