Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It is being assumed the initiative for the trade was Gittens unwillingness to restructure his contract and that may be so but we have no substantiating evidence that was indeed the case. The impetus could just as likely have been MBT actively pushing to have a WR with whom he had strong chemistry. Edm has managed to provide their QB a WR who was the best Canadian WR in the league a year ago and could well be again this year. They had to give up a very good American DT but he will be relatively easier to replace.

If the trade did occur because of Gitten's reluctance to any restructuring of the contract, can we expect to see a similar move for Ceresna's contract to be restructured since his contract is about the same as Gitten's? If not, then there will be no advantage to the salary cap. There may be more behind this trade than we are aware of and perhaps one day we may find out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is being assumed the initiative for the trade was Gittens unwillingness to restructure his contract and that may be so but we have no substantiating evidence that was indeed the case. The impetus could just as likely have been MBT actively pushing to have a WR with whom he had strong chemistry. Edm has managed to provide their QB a WR who was the best Canadian WR in the league a year ago and could well be again this year. They had to give up a very good American DT but he will be relatively easier to replace.

If the trade did occur because of Gitten's reluctance to any restructuring of the contract, can we expect to see a similar move for Ceresna's contract to be restructured since his contract is about the same as Gitten's? If not, then there will be no advantage to the salary cap. There may be more behind this trade than we are aware of and perhaps one day we may find out.

IMO this trade was all about Jones getting to add a Canadian starter a position which he will see as one of his 7 only need apply spots; Gittens is a 1000 yard CFL receiver and has worked very well with the new EE QB in MBT (who may or may not have put in a word of approval for this move), so a potential very nice add for Jones.

And the Argos got very good value in return with a league best calibre DT (and at a position where they might lose a couple of starters in free agency)

This deal can make very good sense for both teams; IF Gittens was viewed as an irreplaceable starter as part of an Argo 7 only NIs plan, then maybe it would hurt; but I don't see the Argos having a problem there like Jones would worry about, and the likes of Brissett, Nield & Ungerer (maybe even Jared Wayne if he bombs out in the NFL) are there to replace Gittens in the receiving corps. Still wish Gittens had remained an Argo, but good luck to him, and he might find out he has gone to much iffy-er team which does not qualify for play-off bonus buck$.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos front office’s ability to draft Canadian Receivers made this trade possible. When Gittens went down last year draftees Neild and Brissett (along with Hamilton discard Ungerer) stepped up, minimizing Gittens absence.

With Ceresna coming the other way, its obvious that either Oakman and or Hendrix have made it clear they will test the Free Agent market. Ceresna certainly lessens the blow when/if that happens.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It seems pretty straightforward to me. Argos have a lot of depth at the position Gittens played, and the other guys made greater contributions than he did (through no fault of his own) to a team that managed to go 16-2 without him for much of the year. Gittens also has a high salary in a year when the team faces a salary squeeze. And the team expects to lose one or both of its starting DTs to free agency because both guys will be expecting a sizeable raise. So they send Gittens to a team that really wants him, and get back a guy who can replace one or both DTs. And if both leave, Ceresna's salary, high as it is, will be somewhere in the vicinity of what they earned, combined, last season. So the salary savings from trading Gittens are significant. Smart move by the Argos, sad as I am to see Gittens depart.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't hate the trade, but it would be nice to re-sign Brissett, although looking at stats, Ungerer's production was higher than I thought.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As good as Ceresna is, I think fans and myself included do feel a bit disappointed to lose "one of our own". It would be nice to have a 10 year Canadian pro stay with the team that drafted them and Gittens could have been that guy like an Andre Durie. A 1000 yard Canadian receiver has more sentimental value over an interior lineman with 6 sacks. So I understand the "wtf" knee jerk reaction.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I agree. I do not like this trade and I have a bad feeling about it. The Argos should be getting more in this deal.
    Many Elks fans are upset about this trade because they absolutely hate losing Ceresna.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I don't hate the trade, but it would be nice to re-sign Brissett, although looking at stats, Ungerer's production was higher than I thought.
    Ungerer proved to be very useful, but he played (almost exclusively, I think) the Z position that Gittens played before last season. I expect we will go with two NAT receivers, one outside (Ungerer) and one inside (Brissett, if he returns, or Nield). I hope mgmt has already worked out a new deal for Brissett because his value just went up.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    As good as Ceresna is, I think fans and myself included do feel a bit disappointed to lose "one of our own". It would be nice to have a 10 year Canadian pro stay with the team that drafted them and Gittens could have been that guy like an Andre Durie. A 1000 yard Canadian receiver has more sentimental value over an interior lineman with 6 sacks. So I understand the "wtf" knee jerk reaction.
    Not to nitpick, but Ceresna had 12 sacks last year which would have led the Argos. Very impressive for a DT.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ceresna has 12 sacks in 2023 and 10 sacks in 2022. I don't know where this interior lineman with 6 sacks is coming from.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ceresna has 12 sacks in 2023 and 10 sacks in 2022. I don't know where this interior lineman with 6 sacks is coming from.
    Gabe must be going by Genius Sports Stats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    DT is not a glamour position, so people are always going to be skeptical of a trade like this. IMO, for the reasons I have stated, the Argos did very well on this trade, especially if they soon announce that that Brissett has re-signed.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Be interesting to find out who initiated this deal: Argos looking to dump Gittens' salary? I bet it was Jones who really valued Gittens as a Canadian 1000 yard receiver who had much success with the new EE QB.

Still say the trade could work out very well for both teams.

But couldn't Jones have just signed Brissett (or another experienced Canadian receiver) as a FA and then retained his best defensive player instead of having to give him up? Jones is not the brightest bulb out there - as either a HC or GM = EE headed to the basement again with that genius in charge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    But couldn't Jones have just signed Brissett (or another experienced Canadian receiver) as a FA and then retained his best defensive player instead of having to give him up? Jones is not the brightest bulb out there - as either a HC or GM = EE headed to the basement again with that genius in charge.
    Keeping Ceresna and signing Brissett would involve spending something like $325-350k in combined salaries IMO. Right now he's spending about $200k on Gittens alone. So trading Ceresna frees up money that can be spent elsewhere. If he signs Hendrix or Oakman to a deal similar to Ceresna's, that would not seem very smart. But if he gets one of those guys (or some other viable d-lineman) for substantially less than Ceresna, he comes out ahead. (Mind you, I don't think Hendrix in particular is gonna come cheap. I expect nine clubs to contact his agent.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Keeping Ceresna and signing Brissett would involve spending something like $325-350k in combined salaries IMO. Right now he's spending about $200k on Gittens alone. So trading Ceresna frees up money that can be spent elsewhere. If he signs Hendrix or Oakman to a deal similar to Ceresna's, that would not seem very smart. But if he gets one of those guys (or some other viable d-lineman) for substantially less than Ceresna, he comes out ahead. (Mind you, I don't think Hendrix in particular is gonna come cheap. I expect nine clubs to contact his agent.)
    He could restructure any contract.

And I'd bet Jones would value Oakman's 6-10 size, his big NCAA rating/resume and CFL production so far, more than Hendrix; and he might end up paying an Oakman the same kind of ca$h as Ceresna. He's clueless, and the past signings of Lawlor & Lewis are good indicators there.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    IMO this trade was all about Jones getting to add a Canadian starter a position which he will see as one of his 7 only need apply spots; Gittens is a 1000 yard CFL receiver and has worked very well with the new EE QB in MBT (who may or may not have put in a word of approval for this move), so a potential very nice add for Jones.

And the Argos got very good value in return with a league best calibre DT (and at a position where they might lose a couple of starters in free agency)

This deal can make very good sense for both teams; IF Gittens was viewed as an irreplaceable starter as part of an Argo 7 only NIs plan, then maybe it would hurt; but I don't see the Argos having a problem there like Jones would worry about, and the likes of Brissett, Nield & Ungerer (maybe even Jared Wayne if he bombs out in the NFL) are there to replace Gittens in the receiving corps. Still wish Gittens had remained an Argo, but good luck to him, and he might find out he has gone to much iffy-er team which does not qualify for play-off bonus buck$.

Their were times his first year he was playing 10 Canadians. Even played Canadians at QB, Weakside Cornerback, strongside linebacker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    Their were times his first year he was playing 10 Canadians. Even played Canadians at QB, Weakside Cornerback, strongside linebacker.
    Yeah , when the likes of Jamie Harry got to start at corner some, Scott Hutter played safety, and he tried a bunch of other young Canadian players in a season long TC he was afforded (for some reason?).

Last year it was back to mostly 7 only standard stuff; he benched Hutter who had been so impressive the season before in favor of lost/useless new imports there; and got to play 5 imports at receiver at times when Canadian Boyko took over an OT spot. He did play several Canadians in his D-line rotation (including ex-Argo Acheampong) and had vet Adam Konar (since cut) at OLB. And he could count Tre Ford when he started.

Now maybe he will change his tune for this coming season, and play more than the 7 only, but he's going to be desperate to win and will likely defer to the 7 only thinking: no more Ford starting; 4 O-linemen + Gittens on O; with a continued use of one Canadian on the D-line in the rotation, and likely former top draft pick Makonzo at S-OLB (played very well there IMO as a rookie but missed a lot of last season with injury) - for 2 on D.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    Had he played his Canadian QB from Game 1 they would have made the playoffs and ended their ridiculous home winless streak. He had coached Ford the year before and had seen him win games that year. His lack of understanding that what he had in Ford was immeasurably better than Yukon Cornelius out of training camp is hard to comprehend. Alot of coaches would have lost their jobs for that alone. His gigantic GM/HC contract prevented that from happening. Jones better get his QB room right in 2024.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Had he played his Canadian QB from Game 1 they would have made the playoffs and ended their ridiculous home winless streak. He had coached Ford the year before and had seen him win games that year. His lack of understanding that what he had in Ford was immeasurably better than Yukon Cornelius out of training camp is hard to comprehend. Alot of coaches would have lost their jobs for that alone. His gigantic GM/HC contract prevented that from happening. Jones better get his QB room right in 2024.
    He'll be in last place again and likely get to keep his job. An embarrassment to the league and the EE team. But they deserve it IMO for recycling / re-hiring that hack in the first place and for being too cheap and stupid to fire him after 2 straight worst in the league seasons.

Sad to see so few fans in the stands there last season (their announced attendances did clearly not match the paltry few in the stands) - for a once great CFL franchise. I hope they can regain something there, but it does not look good; and I fear new owners might not be the magic solution that some seem to believe in - might end up with corporate clowns rather than another Doman type.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    He could restructure any contract.
    Of course he could -- all players always agree to do that.