Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Well the CBC website has indeed highlighted the story and I saw it on CP24 the day after the TSN article. It has also garnered attention in the media across the country, so I don't think it helps the Argos in the least.

And if the details outlined in the stories (TSN and Winnipeg Free Press) end up being true, I doubt Murphy will be keeping his job. Even if the lawyers settle this (which is quite possible) it has hurt the image of the Argos and definitely that of Kelly. As I noted, I doubt very much that the Argos will be putting Kelly out front at press conferences etc. or promotional events this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I have CP24 on all day long at work, and I never saw this story, but whatever. We all know how these things work. Make a big deal about Chad getting sensitivity training. He makes a public mea culpa and they can turn it into a teaching moment. He’ll serve a 2 or 3 game suspension and by midsession all will be forgotten.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    Another interesting article on this issue.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...fed-in-scandal
    Interesting in what sense? The way Hamilton describes Kelly as having been born with a “Silver Spoon” in his mouth? The way Hamilton accused Jim Kelly of sending in a favour to John Elway having his team draft his nephew? Or how he trashes Jim Barker for something that may have been said in 2011?

This stiff has a long standing issue with the Argos obviously.

New Fan
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    This was a much better article than the original tsn one or the 3down. It was spaced out better so I could read it easier.

This is definitely going to cost the team some fans, both new and existing.

I had bought a Kelly jersey last year, and now I don't even look forward to wearing it or any of the Argos stuff I have, even the two new light jackets I had just bought.
    . No worries just remove stitching and change number around 21 or just 2 or 1 or go numberless like i have since 1990. I never get disappointed.You have endless possibilities

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGOMAN 27 View Post
    . No worries just remove stitching and change number around 21 or just 2 or 1 or go numberless like i have since 1990. I never get disappointed.You have endless possibilities
    it was one of the premade ones from real sports, it might cost more to have it changed than to buy a blank and have it done up.
    Last edited by BATKINSON001; 02-24-2024 at 09:41 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Interesting in what sense? The way Hamilton describes Kelly as having been born with a “Silver Spoon” in his mouth? The way Hamilton accused Jim Kelly of sending in a favour to John Elway having his team draft his nephew? Or how he trashes Jim Barker for something that may have been said in 2011?

This stiff has a long standing issue with the Argos obviously.
    I thought it was interesting because it provided more detail about Kelly's problems and behaviour in the past. Maybe the author doesn't like the Argos, but it doesn't change the fact that Kelly has a history of immature, bad behaviour.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Total conjecture on my part, but I wonder if these (alleged) events had any influence on AJ Ouellette not resigning with the Argos? His wife is a strength and conditioning coach with the Cincinnati Reds, is she not? AJ would certainly have expectations as to how a female in this role should be treated by a professional sports team.
    This same thought did cross my mind in the past couple of days but I have seen speculation about AJ feeling disrespected by the Argos in some way and that is why he left.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I am staying out of most discussion related to this topic, but his girlfriend is a lady who he met through charitable work and is successful in the tech industry. Her name is Sarah Thompson.
    I saw her interviewed on TV recently when CTV Toronto, I think, was doing a feature on Chad Kelly's charitable works. She absolutely does exist.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Except for the fact that the Toronto media pays very little attention to the Argonauts. There has been zero mention of this story on CP24 and CBC Toronto. The Sun and Globe websites buried brief wire story blurbs about it. How can it hurt the team if nobody knows about it?

It reminds me of when Murphy used those egregious slurs a couple of years ago, and everyone here was hand-wringing about how much this was going to hurt the team. In the final analysis it didn’t hurt the team in the slightest, and I think once the lawyers settle things the same will be true of this incident.
    It took a few days but CTV News has featured it prominently on Saturday, including on their national newscast.

These allegations, I feel, are different and much more damaging. Given that the allegations involve events in the workplace - and let's not forget that the strength and conditioning coach in question was part of the "Argos family" for more than 5 years - I am unsure that this damage can be easily overcome. This franchise, which seemed to be entirely on the right track, now has an enormous amount of work to do to repair its reputation. This feels like a punch to the gut to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It took a few days but CTV News has featured it prominently on Saturday, including on their national newscast.

These allegations, I feel, are different and much more damaging. Given that the allegations involve events in the workplace - and let's not forget that the strength and conditioning coach in question was part of the "Argos family" for more than 5 years - I am unsure that this damage can be easily overcome. This franchise, which seemed to be entirely on the right track, now has an enormous amount of work to do to repair its reputation. This feels like a punch to the gut to me.
    Very well said, Ravi. I know some very serious, hardcore Argo fans who are really distraught over this.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    I saw her interviewed on TV recently when CTV Toronto, I think, was doing a feature on Chad Kelly's charitable works. She absolutely does exist.
    That's good to hear.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level

I feel exactly the same way. As others have noted, we'll have to wait to see how all of this plays out, but I think the story has damaged the image of the Argos and I hope it doesn't over-shadow the upcoming season, all the great acquisitions they have made and all the other talented Argo players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Except for the fact that the Toronto media pays very little attention to the Argonauts. There has been zero mention of this story on CP24 and CBC Toronto. The Sun and Globe websites buried brief wire story blurbs about it. How can it hurt the team if nobody knows about it?

It reminds me of when Murphy used those egregious slurs a couple of years ago, and everyone here was hand-wringing about how much this was going to hurt the team. In the final analysis it didn’t hurt the team in the slightest, and I think once the lawyers settle things the same will be true of this incident.
    Yes it's really odd so many people here are into the ritualistic punishment and humiliation of players from a team they claim to be fans of.

I don't get it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This was a much better article than the original tsn one or the 3down. It was spaced out better so I could read it easier.

This is definitely going to cost the team some fans, both new and existing.

I had bought a Kelly jersey last year, and now I don't even look forward to wearing it or any of the Argos stuff I have, even the two new light jackets I had just bought.
    But you will still happily pay for Kelly's salary by attending games?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Yes it's really odd so many people here are into the ritualistic punishment and humiliation of players from a team they claim to be fans of.

I don't get it.
    Oh PLEASE - "ritualistic punishment and humiliation of players" - No that's what people on here are saying. Everyone has noted that we have to wait and see all the facts and information come out before making any judgement on anyone. But as Argo fans we have every right to be disappointed if the Argo organization swept this whole situation under the carpet, didn't investigate the situation if the woman raised concerns and then decided not to renew her contract because of all of this. Also IF Kelly harassed this staff member to the point where she felt uncomfortable and reported it, then he also needs to face some kind of consequences because that was inappropriate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    But you will still happily pay for Kelly's salary by attending games?
    . I am undecided at this point as to whether or not I will cancel my tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    Why would anyone cancel their tickets ? You support the team. Players come and go. Besides.... people are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Any kind of celebrity is an easy target for someone who has any kind of grudge or dispute with them. I don't think things were as bad as you might think. If the Argos had not renewed her contract, I bet this would never have come to light. She is only bringing it up because they did not renew, and thus this is her way of getting back at the team. I am not saying all are innocent, just trying to say you should all just stop jumping off the good ship Argo. I didn't see any evidence of any physical misconduct, or altercations other than verbal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    speaking of her contract, wasn't she making less than minimum wage? 25k doesn't seem like much even if it was for only the length of the season. I work retail for 32 hours a week at minimum wage, and get more than that according to my T4.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    speaking of her contract, wasn't she making less than minimum wage? 25k doesn't seem like much even if it was for only the length of the season. I work retail for 32 hours a week at minimum wage, and get more than that according to my T4.
    That is why some don't jump at those job opportunities. I have heard in the past that a trainer can make on their own than what a pro team would offer, so many of them don't bother. It is why guys like Shea Pierre don't stick around long, especially when they run their successful business and can make more doing so.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Contract may not have been for a full year. Football season from May to November is only 7 months. We also don't know how many days or hours the position required.
    If you were to prorate that $25k for a full year at full time, it may look a lot different.
    Realistically though, it's a contract you'd likely only take as a newer professional. Looks good on a resume.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN