Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    In your opinion. As I asked what if the courts dismiss the charges? I would think the League and perhaps Ambrosie personally would be open to a lawsuit from Kelly.
    AngeloV - that's an interesting point. I guess my question is even if the civil case gets dismissed, couldn't Kelly still be guilty of violating the CFL's non-gender anti-violence policy? I don't know the answer I guess I'm just highlighting that if the CFL has policies that an athlete has violated in some manner, they could still dole out punishment regardless of what happens in a court case couldn't them? Also one would hope that the CFL brass had consulted with their legal team being doing anything. I guess time will tell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    AngeloV - that's an interesting point. I guess my question is even if the civil case gets dismissed, couldn't Kelly still be guilty of violating the CFL's non-gender anti-violence policy? I don't know the answer I guess I'm just highlighting that if the CFL has policies that an athlete has violated in some manner, they could still dole out punishment regardless of what happens in a court case couldn't them? Also one would hope that the CFL brass had consulted with their legal team being doing anything. I guess time will tell.
    I don't know the answer either, which is why I ask.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    In your opinion. As I asked what if the courts dismiss the charges? I would think the League and perhaps Ambrosie personally would be open to a lawsuit from Kelly.
    First of all, as has been noted before, there are no "charges" to "dismiss." There is a civil suit which, if it goes to trial, will be contested and decided by a judge. The plaintiff will either win the suit or lose it. Whether or not the suit is successful, Kelly can pursue any recourse open to him (although as a member of a certified bargaining unit, he might not legally have the option of suing the commissioner or the league). If he were entitled to file such a suit and did so, it would also be heard in civil court and he would either win or lose.

None of that changes the fact that this is indeed, as Ravi has suggested, a PR nightmare for the organization. Some diehard fans are really questioning their allegiance to the Argos, and people in every other CFL city are either laughing at or condemning Argo mgmt -- including Pinball, who until recently was almost universally revered around the league. The club's handling of this matter has almost been a case study in how not to respond to a crisis IMO. And Pinball's newser today has only muddied the waters further.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    First of all, as has been noted before, there are no "charges" to "dismiss." There is a civil suit which, if it goes to trial, will be contested and decided by a judge. The plaintiff will either win the suit or lose it. Whether or not the suit is successful, Kelly can pursue any recourse open to him (although as a member of a certified bargaining unit, he might not legally have the option of suing the commissioner or the league). If he were entitled to file such a suit and did so, it would also be heard in civil court and he would either win or lose.

None of that changes the fact that this is indeed, as Ravi has suggested, a PR nightmare for the organization. Some diehard fans are really questioning their allegiance to the Argos, and people in every other CFL city are either laughing at or condemning Argoi mgmt -- including Pinball, who until recently was almost universally revered around the league. The club's handling of this matter has almost been a case study in how not to respond to a crisis IMO. And Pinball's newser today has only muddied the waters further.
    I meant the case, not the charges. I am not a lawyer, so excuse my wording on this.

For the record, I have no issue with a suspension. I do however feel that it is way more than what it should be. There was no violence involved (sorry, I don't consider "reportedly" yelling "I can't wait for you to get fired" as violence. Chris Edwards got six games for physically fighting with a fan, and that was reduced to 3. We all don't know the entire story and likely never will. I just think referring to this as "violence" is quite a stretch.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

None of that changes the fact that this is indeed, as Ravi has suggested, a PR nightmare for the organization. Some diehard fans are really questioning their allegiance to the Argos, and people in every other CFL city are either laughing at or condemning Argo mgmt -- including Pinball, who until recently was almost universally revered around the league. The club's handling of this matter has almost been a case study in how not to respond to a crisis IMO. And Pinball's newser today has only muddied the waters further.
    A civil suit could, in theory, be dismissed, so it's not a question of win or lose. There is more than one reason that it can be dismissed, some of which that doesn't necessarily mean Kelly and/or the Argos are innocent.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Howard Berger... mentioned his facebook its his opinion... that he feels ARGO's will cut ties with Chad Kelly shortly .... not stating any inside sources directly.... just a heads up incase he is correct.... wasn't something I was expecting at this time....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgofanIan View Post
    Howard Berger... mentioned his facebook its his opinion... that he feels ARGO's will cut ties with Chad Kelly shortly .... not stating any inside sources directly.... just a heads up incase he is correct.... wasn't something I was expecting at this time....
    The same Howard Berger that posted a picture on his site of a woman’s butt at an Argos @ Ti-Cats game with the caption nice view (paraphrasing)

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't consider Howard Berger to be 'in the know' anymore.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Suspended QB Kelly on field with Argos Thursday

Quarterback Chad Kelly, who is under suspension for violating the Canadian Football League's gender-based violence policy, was on the field Thursday at the Toronto Argonauts' rookie camp.
    Kelly's appearance at the University of Guelph comes just two days after the CFL suspended its 2023 Most Outstanding Player Award winner for at least nine regular-season games following its investigation into a lawsuit filed by a former strength-and-conditioning coach against Kelly for sexual harassment and the club for wrongful dismissal.
    Kelly is also suspended for Toronto’s two pre-season games.
    Argos general manager Mike “Pinball” Clemons told reporters Kelly's presence was within the conditions of the league's discipline.
    Clemons said that should Kelly decide to appeal the suspension — and theoretically be allowed to play until an arbitration hearing — the Argos would make a decision at that time regarding any team-issued discipline.
    "At this point we are following the league’s requirements to the letter, right? So, that’s actually a different conversation for a different day. But in this particular situation, we are very committed to making sure that we follow the league’s direction," Clemons said.
    Kelly, 30, was on the field but not in equipment and appeared to be working with the Argos rookie quarterbacks.
    “He was there but did not practice. So, he’s allowed to be out here, right? And the league has given him that permission, and we will follow the league’s direction with that," Clemons said.
    Kelly was the CFL’s outstanding player last season after leading Toronto to a league-best and franchise-record 16-2 mark.
    But the Argos' campaign ended with a 38-17 loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division final.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Personally I think it's a bad look for Argos - "like business as usual". But I guess Pinball says it's within the CFL rules and the article states that Kelly was not in uniform and did not practice. It makes me appreciate what a delicate situation this is for the Argos and how difficult it's going to be to figure out the appropriate next steps.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree that the Argos's handling of this has been abysmal. Personally I would have told Kelly not to come to training camp. He is a distraction and not a good one and I'm sure it's not helping the overall morale of the team, that the whole focus is on this Kelly situation and none of the other team members. And sorry but I think that it looks like the Argos are not taking any of this seriously (and haven't from the beginning) and that really disturbs and disappoints me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    it looks like the Argos are not taking any of this seriously (and haven't from the beginning) and that really disturbs and disappoints me.
    Pinball said the Argos were fully complying with the League’s terms and conditions. How is this not taking the matter seriously? Should they be lobbying the League to increase the suspension to 18 games?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Pinball said the Argos were fully complying with the League’s terms and conditions. How is this not taking the matter seriously? Should they be lobbying the League to increase the suspension to 18 games?
    No, they should be cutting ties to him entirely.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No, they should be cutting ties to him entirely.
    And yet the League only imposed a 9 game ban. Are they not taking the matter seriously either?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    And yet the League only imposed a 9 game ban. Are they not taking the matter seriously either?
    I don't cheer for thr league. I cheer for the Argos. And i want the team I cheer for to (a) do the right thing or at least (b) not do the wrong thing. IMO cutting Kelly would be the right thing. And allowing him anywhere near the practice field was absolutely the wrong thing.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Doing the bare minimum is not going to go over well in this situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Doing the bare minimum is not going to go over well in this situation.
    As if a 9 game ban plus wasn’t a very significant and substantial penalty.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos should have told Kelly not to come to training camp, to let them know as soon as possible if he is going to appeal the decision made by the CFL and if he is not appealing, when / how he plans to begin completing the requirements laid out by the CFL. He should not be joining the team at training camp and the Argos shouldn't be acting as if "it's business as usual"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos should have told Kelly not to come to training camp, to let them know as soon as possible if he is going to appeal the decision made by the CFL and if he is not appealing, when / how he plans to begin completing the requirements laid out by the CFL. He should not be joining the team at training camp and the Argos shouldn't be acting as if "it's business as usual"
    Pinball sure didn’t look like it was business as usual. I’ve never seen him so troubled.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Pinball sure didn’t look like it was business as usual. I’ve never seen him so troubled.
    As he should be. Keith Pelley should have been there also. Pelley may not have been around when this troubling behaviour occurred but it is incumbent upon him to clean up this mess and ensure it never happens again.

Given that hockey reporters sabotaged an Argos' press conference in 2016 to talk about Mike Babcock's hiring, I would love to see football reporters do the same tomorrow when Pelley has his press conference about the Leafs and force him to address the Kelly situation and why he is being allowed at rookie camp. Pelley's feet need to be put to the fire too even though I know that he has been a media darling for decades.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Who are the "rookie quarterbacks" (plural) that Kelly would be working with ?