Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Argo QBs for TC ?

A lot of CFL teams have announced off-season signings of new QBs; the bottom feeder EE & RedBlacks have a whole pile of QBs for TC now; Pussycats just announced a new QB signing.

What are the Argos up to there? - Kelly situation is concerning; 2 young guys with limited resumes who were back-ups last year are still there (and young Dukes was pretty impressive for a raw rookie IMO). But what about more TC competition? Sure, lots of time yet till TC, but just wondering what will happen there? Surely a far & wide search is underway and a new American QB or two signing will be upcoming ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I wouldn't mind seeing Tyrell Pigrome in camp--short yardage guy with some upside.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    A lot of CFL teams have announced off-season signings of new QBs; the bottom feeder EE & RedBlacks have a whole pile of QBs for TC now; Pussycats just announced a new QB signing.

What are the Argos up to there? - Kelly situation is concerning; 2 young guys with limited resumes who were back-ups last year are still there (and young Dukes was pretty impressive for a raw rookie IMO). But what about more TC competition? Sure, lots of time yet till TC, but just wondering what will happen there? Surely a far & wide search is underway and a new American QB or two signing will be upcoming ?
    I agree with this OV, would be nice to add some additional talent and depth at this position.
    Last edited by Argo57; 03-15-2024 at 07:11 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I agree with this OV, would be nice to add some additional talent and depth at this position.
    Seems mind-boggling that they would go into TC with just Kelly (with his off-field issues) and the 2 guys from last season as that's it for QBs. Maybe they are taking their time and looking at lots of prospects, or perhaps have a potential NFL cut in mind after the draft and free agency there ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Seems mind-boggling that they would go into TC with just Kelly (with his off-field issues) and the 2 guys from last season as that's it for QBs. Maybe they are taking their time and looking at lots of prospects, or perhaps have a potential NFL cut in mind after the draft and free agency there ?
    I am pretty sure that they are waiting to see what happens with the NFL draft and subsequent free agent signings before they bring another QB or two in.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am pretty sure that they are waiting to see what happens with the NFL draft and subsequent free agent signings before they bring another QB or two in.

Sure = could be; just that a bunch of other CFL teams have already signed QBs this off-season. Hoping for an NFL cut to become available? We shall see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    As a rookie, Dukes looked very good last year and might have the potential to develop into a starting QB. IMO Scott needs to be replaced. So hopefully the team will bring in a couple of QBs to compete for the 3rd QB spot. Hogan's list of 10 players on the negotiation list, showed 5 QBs. One of those players may be available after the NFL draft. My personal preference is Matocha, who had a brilliant college career but at 5'11" is unlikely to garner much NFL interest.

The Argos have been very successful in identifying and recruiting players. I'm sure they have some QBs in mind and we should hear more before training camp begins.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I would bet the Kelly situation has caused all kinds of disruption in off-season planning and recruitment. Neither his status nor Murphy's is clear at this point. Magri (who no longer has Alex Russell alongside) has to hold down the fort.

There's no doubt in my mind that Argos will bring at least four QBs to camp, but I doubt we will hear about any more signings for a while. Given the possibility of Kelly missing some games, I'm certainly not inclined to write off Scott. While it seems clear that Dukes is the better QB, we haven't yet seen what Scott might bring to the table.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I would bet the Kelly situation has caused all kinds of disruption in off-season planning and recruitment. Neither his status nor Murphy's is clear at this point. Magri (who no longer has Alex Russell alongside) has to hold down the fort.

There's no doubt in my mind that Argos will bring at least four QBs to camp, but I doubt we will hear about any more signings for a while. Given the possibility of Kelly missing some games, I'm certainly not inclined to write off Scott. While it seems clear that Dukes is the better QB, we haven't yet seen what Scott might bring to the table.
    The fact that Scott was trusted with 4 snaps last year after the team clinched in September tells me the team has zero faith in him. Why he hasn’t been cut so he can find another opportunity is beyond me.

Forgive me for digressing, but with only 3 D coaches in the entire staff, that situation should have been resolved and announced some time ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The fact that Scott was trusted with 4 snaps last year after the team clinched in September tells me the team has zero faith in him. Why he hasn’t been cut so he can find another opportunity is beyond me.

Forgive me for digressing, but with only 3 D coaches in the entire staff, that situation should have been resolved and announced some time ago.
    I agree with all of this.
    The D will have several newcomers so going with a skeleton staff on that side of the ball is a dumb strategy.
    Surely the will add a couple of coaches on D?
    Just when it seemed this organization was running like a “well oiled machine” things have unraveled a little.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with all of this.
    The D will have several newcomers so going with a skeleton staff on that side of the ball is a dumb strategy.
    Surely the will add a couple of coaches on D?
    Just when it seemed this organization was running like a “well oiled machine” things have unraveled a little.
    Looking at turnover on D….I thought the Argos did a Brilliant Job maintaining continuity coming off 16-2. Of the D Line projected starters, only Ceresna is new, but he is a vet and knows the league. The LBs, McManus and Jones (who is an upgrade over Williams at MLB) return, with only Pickett’s spot (Adeleke)? up for grabs. In the Secondary, McFadden, Pierce and Metchie return…along with Amos (any idea if he will be healthy by TC)? and perhaps Carnell returns to form, so really only 2 spots are open.
    It is starting to be puzzling as a fan why the coaching staff isn’t set. Hopefully when it gets settled Hoagie will have an article focused on the process.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looking at turnover on D….I thought the Argos did a Brilliant Job maintaining continuity coming off 16-2. Of the D Line projected starters, only Ceresna is new, but he is a vet and knows the league. The LBs, McManus and Jones (who is an upgrade over Williams at MLB) return, with only Pickett’s spot (Adeleke)? up for grabs. In the Secondary, McFadden, Pierce and Metchie return…along with Amos (any idea if he will be healthy by TC)? and perhaps Carnell returns to form, so really only 2 spots are open.
    It is starting to be puzzling as a fan why the coaching staff isn’t set. Hopefully when it gets settled Hoagie will have an article focused on the process.
    I have no issues with the personnel assembled on D, they knew they couldn’t keep all the eligible free agents in double blue.
    They sure did a nice job in keeping as many players as possible and bringing in some high quality replacements, my issue is them apparently going lean with the coaching staff on defence, makes no sense as it sits right now.
    I will be surprised if they don’t add another defensive coach or two but who knows.
    As with most training camps there are always a couple of young players who step up and take starting jobs, this year should be no different.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no issues with the personnel assembled on D, they knew they couldn’t keep all the eligible free agents in double blue.
    They sure did a nice job in keeping as many players as possible and bringing in some high quality replacements, my issue is them apparently going lean with the coaching staff on defence, makes no sense as it sits right now.
    I will be surprised if they don’t add another defensive coach or two but who knows.
    As with most training camps there are always a couple of young players who step up and take starting jobs, this year should be no different.
    As always, a well thought out, accurate and knowledgeable assessment by Argo57.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    As always, a well thought out, accurate and knowledgeable assessment by Argo57.
    You’re way too kind gil.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Despite clinching early, they absolutely had to give as many snaps as possible to Dukes, no? Clearly he was the one who'd be playing if Kelly had been injured in a must-win game, so they focused on getting him some meaningful playing time. That doesn't mean they do or don't love Scott, but I'm pretty confident they are not writing him off. Even a year watching from the sideline is likely more conductive to learning how to play QB in this league than coming in cold. As for the other stuff about defensive coaches, again, the org has had its off-season disrupted pretty badly.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Hope the QB search is looking far & wide; likely won't include considering any Canadian QBs though?

Love to see Sherby's Anthony Robichaud get a look - big QB with a good arm and decent mobility from what i saw of him (including an excellent game at last year's U Sports East_West Bowl all-star game) ; him and Toronto guy Marcus Reeb (3 year starter and all 3 seasons named 2nd team Conference all-star in US college ball Div III) were tested at the recent CFL Invitational Combine. 3 other QBs going to the upcoming main Combine. Argos brought in Dukes & Scott from the lower levels of US college ball last season, but maybe Canadian QBs don't rate?

The GOBs fear/dismissal of Canadian QB talent remains as entrenched as ever I guess ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Despite clinching early, they absolutely had to give as many snaps as possible to Dukes, no? Clearly he was the one who'd be playing if Kelly had been injured in a must-win game, so they focused on getting him some meaningful playing time. That doesn't mean they do or don't love Scott, but I'm pretty confident they are not writing him off. Even a year watching from the sideline is likely more conductive to learning how to play QB in this league than coming in cold. As for the other stuff about defensive coaches, again, the org has had its off-season disrupted pretty badly.
    Sure Dukes deserved the bulk of the playing time down the stretch….but 4 snaps for Scott? Not exactly a strong endorsement. I agree the organization has had its offseason disrupted, but there was plenty of time to get the D side of the staff resolved prior to that coming out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Hope the QB search is looking far & wide; likely won't include considering any Canadian QBs though?

Love to see Sherby's Anthony Robichaud get a look - big QB with a good arm and decent mobility from what i saw of him (including an excellent game at last year's U Sports East_West Bowl all-star game) ; him and Toronto guy Marcus Reeb (3 year starter and all 3 seasons named 2nd team Conference all-star in US college ball Div III) were tested at the recent CFL Invitational Combine. 3 other QBs going to the upcoming main Combine. Argos brought in Dukes & Scott from the lower levels of US college ball last season, but maybe Canadian QBs don't rate?

The GOBs fear/dismissal of Canadian QB talent remains as entrenched as ever I guess ?
    I wonder if Taylor Elgersma will this year's QB intern again. Hopefully he'll open some eyes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ah yes, the CFL's little Lebowski QB achiever internship program, for Canadians who show some promise.

Something will come of this, eventually. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Sure Dukes deserved the bulk of the playing time down the stretch….but 4 snaps for Scott? Not exactly a strong endorsement. I agree the organization has had its offseason disrupted, but there was plenty of time to get the D side of the staff resolved prior to that coming out.
    Gil, if they had played Scott for, say, half of a game, and then Dukes got forced into a playoff game due to injury and crapped the bed, we'd all be second-guessing their personnel deployment down the stretch. Hell, we all second-guessed their personnel deployment over the last six games anyway. I was among those who wanted to see Scott play some during that run of meaningless games. But not playing him was defensible IMO. How many snaps did Argos give Zach Collaros in 2012? One quarter, 11 passes, and only after Trevor Harris played in two games and threw 19 passes. Did that mean they weren't giving a strong endorsement to Collaros? And regardless of all this, my main point is that -- especially in the situation we're in, with the starter's status uncertain -- I'd far rather have two guys who have at least been in the system for a year and been exposed to Cdn football than jettison one of them in favour of a kid fresh out of the U.S. Now if they were to sign Taylor Cornelius, I'd be much more open to cutting Scott.