Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I think that this tune should be the "background music" everytime you log into the forum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    I think that this tune should be the "background music" everytime you log into the forum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8
    YAY...it worked !!!!!
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

New Fan
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    ...Tennis Canada has their own stadium at York and it only hosts one major event a year in Tennis. The rest of the time sees the stadium used for community events and concerts...
    I think the concerts were only last year (2011), and the promoters gave up after failing to attract the crowds they wanted.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/11...c-fest-on-hold

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    ...What I'd love to know is how the EX grounds and downsview magically popped up after the Argos left the deal, it was a choice between York and UofT (for C+S) and from what I have read C+S wanted York originally but fans wanted UofT, so they gave in. IIRC the York stadium was originally slated to cost $ 75 million, with C+S paying $20 Million plus any cost over runs. BMO was built for $63 Million, so why couldn't the City still have built it at York ?..
    The stadium project that eventually became BMO Field was an initiative of the Canadian Soccer Association, as part of their bid to have Canada host the 2007 FIFA U20 World Cup, with a new national soccer stadium at Exhibition Place. All of that eventually did happen. They announced the plans at a media conference in July 2003.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/csa-rele...tadium-p147569

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/108...29182859hFFSDV

To make the stadium a viable proposition, it would have to be used and likely operated by a private partner after the end of the 2007 soccer tournament, and of course this private partner would be expected to pay for some of the stadium's construction. As you can see from the article and photos of the plans, the CSA assumed the only realistic possibility would be a CFL team, presumably the Argos even though they avoid specifically mentioning them in the article. At that time Sherwood Schwarz owned the Argos but had lost interest in continuing to do so. A few months later Cynamon and Sokolowski had assumed Argo ownership,

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...dium-Next.aspx

and they then tried to arrange for the stadium to be at Varsity, then York University after U of T had rejected the idea. C&S, the CSA, York U, the federal and provincial governments had all agreed in October 2004 to build a new stadium at York U.

http://www.yorku.ca/alumni/alumnimat...ewstadium.html

A few months later Cynamon and Sokolowski suddenly and inexplicably pulled out of the deal, I would assume in the absence of any other explanation likely because they were unwilling and/or unable to pay the $20 million plus overruns they had committed to.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/oake/050428.html

With no private partner and only two years left to get the stadium built on time, which made the whole project look very doubtful, York U then pulled out of the deal in May 2005, less than a month after the Argos.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ium050512.html

By October 2005, MLSE had agreed to replace the Argos and accepted basically the same deal C&S had walked away from, and the city had basically replaced York U by providing the site back at Exhibition Place, as the CSA had originally planned in 2003. But with the CSA and MLSE only concerned with soccer, it allowed them to build a stadium that was only for soccer, smaller, less expensive, and able to be built in less time and completed by April 2007.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/exhibiti...proved-p147226
    Last edited by SubMariner; 07-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Yikes that some digging there SubMariner.

Maybe the Argos can have a stadium shaped like a donut and it can be called The Crewler

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    That Stadium plan for York University looked sweet...now that's a football stadium.

So sad it never came to fruition. C&S saved 20 mil staying at the Dome, but for guys who claimed they were in it for the long haul, they've left the Argos in just as much limbo as it was before they came and gave the organization a dent in the credibility department...I don't think this has helped attracting attendance or corporate sponsors, where as this stadium would have...really sad for the organization.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    70 million for that stadium? Good luck building that now for 70 mil. Sad stuff indeed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    That Stadium plan for York University looked sweet...now that's a football stadium.

So sad it never came to fruition. C&S saved 20 mil staying at the Dome, but for guys who claimed they were in it for the long haul, they've left the Argos in just as much limbo as it was before they came and gave the organization a dent in the credibility department...I don't think this has helped attracting attendance or corporate sponsors, where as this stadium would have...really sad for the organization.
    what a stadium indeed - tight to the sidelines, nice slopes - coulda shoulda woulda been beautiful. plus room around for pre-game 'picnics' - damn

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SubMariner View Post
    The stadium project that eventually became BMO Field was an initiative of the Canadian Soccer Association, as part of their bid to have Canada host the 2007 FIFA U20 World Cup, with a new national soccer stadium at Exhibition Place. All of that eventually did happen. They announced the plans at a media conference in July 2003.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/csa-rele...tadium-p147569

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/108...29182859hFFSDV

To make the stadium a viable proposition, it would have to be used and likely operated by a private partner after the end of the 2007 soccer tournament, and of course this private partner would be expected to pay for some of the stadium's construction. As you can see from the article and photos of the plans, the CSA assumed the only realistic possibility would be a CFL team, presumably the Argos even though they avoid specifically mentioning them in the article. At that time Sherwood Schwarz owned the Argos but had lost interest in continuing to do so. A few months later Cynamon and Sokolowski had assumed Argo ownership,

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...dium-Next.aspx

and they then tried to arrange for the stadium to be at Varsity, then York University after U of T had rejected the idea. C&S, the CSA, York U, the federal and provincial governments had all agreed in October 2004 to build a new stadium at York U.

A few months later Cynamon and Sokolowski suddenly and inexplicably pulled out of the deal, I would assume in the absence of any other explanation likely because they were unwilling and/or unable to pay the $20 million plus overruns they had committed to.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/oake/050428.html

With no private partner and only two years left to get the stadium built on time, which made the whole project look very doubtful, York U then pulled out of the deal in May 2005, less than a month after the Argos.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ium050512.html

By October 2005, MLSE had agreed to replace the Argos and accepted basically the same deal C&S had walked away from, and the city had basically replaced York U by providing the site back at Exhibition Place, as the CSA had originally planned in 2003. But with the CSA and MLSE only concerned with soccer, it allowed them to build a stadium that was only for soccer, smaller, less expensive, and able to be built in less time and completed by April 2007.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/exhibiti...proved-p147226
    This is the second stadium thread that you have posted this on, however both times you have failed to mention how once the federal and provincial government allotted the money for the stadium it came with the stipulation that it had to be associated with an institution (which at that time meant one of the universities). Next you fail to mention how Mayor Miller himself had stated that he preferred the stadium going to UofT, that the city had $0 to invest in the stadium and that a stadium at the ex, was not going to happen. You also fail to mention how MLSE was involved with the original UofT deal then pulled out and it was Larry Tanenbaum who brought in the Argos to the new deal. Another point not mentioned was that the CSA, City, Province and Feds were originally going to build a 10,000-15,000 seat stadium at the ex, that was capable of housing soccer and CFL football before MLSE got involved.

So again why couldn't the City find that $9.8 million plus an additional $10 Million that they added for ex land costs, when York or the Argos were still in the deal ?

Currently York is receiving a new stadium that is expandable to 12-15K, you're telling me that the BMO at 10-15K permanent seats at York could not have originally been built on the cheap ?

Or that not one member on city council at the time was smart enough/had the foresight to at least bring up if Canadian Football could be played at BMO ?

And here it is again
    Enter Joe Volpe, the federal minister responsible for Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area. For the $27 million federal government funding to continue to be part of the project, it required a partnership with a public institution. Exhibition Place, which had long been mentioned as a possible site by both the Argos and the CSA, was owned by the province and municipally operated by the City of Toronto. The city could supply land on the site but couldn't provide any funding. Volpe said Toronto Mayor David Miller had called him earlier in the year indicating his preference for Varsity over the Ex. In fact, according to Volpe, Miller said the Ex "was just completely out of the picture."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I honestly find it hard to believe that there is any space at York to build something like that, let alone parking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post
    I honestly find it hard to believe that there is any space at York to build something like that, let alone parking.
    You're kidding right....York University property is very big....the parking is already there, and they have 3 practice Rugby and Football fields, plus the small York Stadium which presently has bleachers for 5,000. All this is basically right beside their track and field stadium which is right beside the TTC Subway station that is being built their. They would not have to shoehorn this stadium as they would if it were being built downtown.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Their football field is right on the road with alot of cars around, unless you build a building around that which i don't think you have the space, it's not enough space. For parking, there is no room. When there is a tennis match there, the place is filled with people trying to direct traffic and all the lots are at 90-100% capacity. I doubt they get anywhere close to 30k people. Not to mention that right now they closed a few roads inside York for the subway, not sure if they are going to reopen them or not. Makes traffic pretty bad during rush hour inside there. Also, a week or two ago, they closed more roads inside with a sign saying they are doing work for the Pan Am games, no idea what is going on there.
    The only viable spot in York IMO is between York and the village, i think there is still some space left there.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post
    Their football field is right on the road with alot of cars around, unless you build a building around that which i don't think you have the space, it's not enough space. For parking, there is no room. When there is a tennis match there, the place is filled with people trying to direct traffic and all the lots are at 90-100% capacity. I doubt they get anywhere close to 30k people. Not to mention that right now they closed a few roads inside York for the subway, not sure if they are going to reopen them or not. Makes traffic pretty bad during rush hour inside there. Also, a week or two ago, they closed more roads inside with a sign saying they are doing work for the Pan Am games, no idea what is going on there.
    The only viable spot in York IMO is between York and the village, i think there is still some space left there.
    Mac, has underground parking at their stadium. They could possible do that at York also.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I find that underground parking is very unpopular in Canada for some reason. I guess they figure buying land is cheaper than building underground.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Plenty of available land in that area north of Steeles, though I don't know if York owns any of it.

Boatman
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Western tech high scool has underground parking. You could fill their stands easy. How about Central Tech. Or Northern. How about my old school, humberside.LOL.
    It's the Rogers centre. Live with it. The political nincompoops( i don't use that word lightly) screwed things up with BMO, Varsity etc. Its a wonder how people can consider TO an intelligent place to live. I've heard, that ...I shite you not.
    There is no future stadium. Look how long it's taken Braley to put money into a practice facility. Braley is not BOB ACKLES. Don't confuse the two
    If plan 'A' was any good, we wouldn't need a plan 'B'
    Unknown

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The fact that Braley, an owner of another team who is getting up there in years, was even willing to buy the team means I'm giving him a pass. I didn't see anyone else stepping up.

Boatman
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdrive250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Anything north around Steeles is a horrible idea, the commute maybe better but what a lousy place to put a stadium.
    Eddy

The only yardstick for success in our society, is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Full York stadium design renderings, soccer conversion, stadium location, even shows parking. IIRC the was going to be 9,000+ parking spots available for Argonaut Game days.
    http://stadiumdb.com/designs/can/yor...ersity_stadium
    Last edited by R.J; 08-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollaway View Post
    Anything north around Steeles is a horrible idea, the commute maybe better but what a lousy place to put a stadium.
    Why is it lousy??? Especially with Subway transit moving up there from the University/Spadina line from Union Station....that's terrific access from downtown.

Last time I checked with other large cities...they don't all play downtown.. take New York City for example....Neither the Yankees, Mets, Giants and Jets play in Manhattan. They Yankees have played in the Bronx forever and that's about a 25 minute subway ride from Manhatten, the same as the subway ride would be from Union Station to York U. The Mets play in Flushing near La Guardia airport, about 25 minutes in another direction from downtown. The 2 football teams play in the Meadowlands, New Jersey which following the crow is close to Manhatten, but in reality requires just as much time to cross the bridge.

The only 2 teams who play in Downtown Manhattan are the Rangers and the Knicks who share Madison Square Garden. The other teams don't really suffer because there is still enough density and more importantly transportation via Subway and freeways to provide good access. York U is getting the overdue Subway access, and the access from the 401, 400, 407 can't be any worse than the access that you have to get downtown from the DVP and Gardiner.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    York U is a horrible spot in my idea. I've been saying this for years and glad nothing has happened with C&S. I don't like watching football in the dome as much as the next guy but like shayman said posts ago somewhere, its in the perfect spot.