Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    It would be great if Braley decides to build a decent training fcility. To me, the only bright side of such a fire would be if the offensive playbook was completely burned with it and every copy destroyed as well.
    The Argos did not have an offensive playbook last season...it was an offensive play page....it was taken out along with the former OC....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    So far all I've seen on other forums (and to some extent this forum) are jokes about how nothing valuable could possibly have been lost. I suspect that is far from the case. Leaving aside the possible loss of uniforms and equipment, which is replaceable, it seems probable that some team memorabilia (posters, etc.) is gone. The Argos have not preserved much of their heritage through all of the ownership and location changes. Any memorabilia lost in the fire might be gone forever.

And from a competitive standpoint, there could be serious ramifications if their video archive was damaged or destroyed. Every team has game tapes -- as far as I know raw game footage is shared among all teams -- but I imagine each team also has its own specific packages that it puts together. For instance, the Argos might have put together a package showing every second-down play the Alouettes ran all of last season, or the last three seasons or whatever. If game tapes were lost, I imagine the league will mandate the other teams to make copies for the Argos, but there is no way they could get copies of any tapes made specifically by the team itself for its own purposes if the originals were destroyed. They would have to replicate this stuff from scratch. Hopefully all game tapes are now digital and stored electronically off-site.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The building that was destroyed, did it contain the room that was recently named after Pinball?

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    Yes, the Pinball room was in that building. I drove by today. They tore down the structure already. Just a pile of rubble now. The locker room was not affected. But There was a bunch of memorabilia that was decorated with in the office....all gone to ashes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Assuming Erindale in history, any guesses where to now?

U of T Scarborough might be a logical location.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Finally some news coverage of this, from National Post. It sounds as if everything is gone.

Can't figure out how to put this excerpt in italics; full story at: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ning-facility/.

A fire at the University of Toronto Mississauga campus early Saturday morning has resulted in the “total loss” of the Toronto Argonauts’ training facility, according to Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services.

Fire crews were called to the scene, near Mississauga Road, at 1:33 a.m. Saturday morning. Eight connected portable complexes, made of various plastics and aluminum siding, were involved, and 12 fire and emergency vehicles and approximately forty firefighters and officers worked in rotating shifts throughout the day to extinguish the blaze. No one was injured.

The connected portables housed the Argos meeting rooms, coaches’ offices, video departments and player meeting rooms.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post

I say get back into bed with York. Okay, I'm being selfish here. It is a much shorter drive for me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Can't figure out how to put this excerpt in italics; .
    Hi-light the entire part you want to put into italics and hit CTRL and I on your keyboard.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Hi-light the entire part you want to put into italics and hit CTRL and I on your keyboard.

Thanks, AV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post

argomAnia posted she drove by the facility...it sounded like only one buidling was missing....Ania, can you confirm it? This is a surprise to me that all is gone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Found this article on Yahoo Sports.
    The fire that gutted the Toronto Argonauts' practice facility on the morning of Christmas Eve could well have significant implications for the team in both the short and the long term. According to the National Post's Matthew Scianitti, fire crews were called to the facility (on the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus) at 1:33 a.m. Saturday and wound up staying there dealing with debris throughout the morning; at least eight separate portables were involved, so this likely won't be easy to fix (the Toronto Star is saying the fire "destroyed" the facility). That could lead to some major short-term issues for the Argonauts, potentially forcing them to change their entire practice setup in 2012. However, in the long term, this may provide extra impetus to push for a new comprehensive stadium with its own practice facility.

In the short term, the Argonauts aren't saying much about how this fire (the results are seen above) will affect them. Here's the statement they put up on the team's website:

MISSISSAUGA — Early this morning, a fire broke out in the coaches building of the Toronto Argonauts practice facility at University of Toronto, Mississauga campus. Fortunately, no one was injured as a result of the fire. We would like to thank Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services for containing the fire. A fire investigation is currently underway to determine the cause of the fire and we are working to help assess property damage resulting from the fire.

At this time, we have not yet determined future plans for the Argonauts practice facility. While the fire department investigates the situation, we will have no further comment on the matter. We are thankful for our many blessings and wish everyone the best for the holiday season.

It's certainly positive that no one was hurt in the fire, but there undoubtedly will be some substantial losses for the Argonauts. The coaches' section of that facility undoubtedly had plenty of technology, as well as perhaps team documents on game-planning, draft preparation and free-agent scouting reports. Insurance will help with the former, but the latter can't easily be replaced; as mentioned previously, the CFL offseason often can be a time crunch, and this may reduce some of the advantage the Argonauts had from locking up their coaching staff early. The team also will have to devote substantial time and resources to finding an acceptable practice location for the upcoming season, and that may not be easy either. Fortunately, at least the players' workout facilities are in a different location, so those still in town won't have to find a new place to train yet.

In the long term, though, there may be potential for something good to come of this. The Argonauts' current situation (practices in Mississauga, games at the Rogers Centre, where they're very much a second-class tenant behind the Blue Jays) is far from ideal, and there have been some discussions about building them a new home. Those discussions haven't gone very far to date (and they may never with the budget-slashing Fords in City Hall), but there is sometimes more motivation to push when there isn't an easy status quo to fall back upon. A small stadium downtown with a built-in indoor practice facility (like the one at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium) would be perfect for Toronto, and if there's ever a time to make the case for it, it's now. If that happens, maybe this fire won't be such a bad thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I presume the last two paragraphs quoted above are Yahoo's words, not the Argos'. In any case, some of this is what I was alluding to earlier. I have to assume they have lost game tapes, scouting reports and other stuff that relates to their ability to be competitive on the field. If, as seems possible, this spurs the creation of a better training facility, that will be a good outcome. But if they have to start rebuilding tape libraries and so on, this fire could set back the team's competitive efforts in 2012.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    argomAnia posted she drove by the facility...it sounded like only one buidling was missing....Ania, can you confirm it? This is a surprise to me that all is gone.
    Yes only the "office" building is gone. That includes the film room and all coaches offices and meeting rooms.

The locker room seemed to suffer only cosmetic damage. The equipment would have been untouched. The media is making this sound like it's all gone. The locker room and the field are fine. I'd love a new practice facility but I'm sure they can put up a couple new portables and be ready to go in June. Sure game film and all was probably lost, but we still have a place to practice. And I'm sure we didn't really have a playbook yet. Coach Milanovich would likely bring in his own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I read a report today how the facilites are a write off with a value of $500K, the figure which is curious at best?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argomANIA View Post
    Sure game film and all was probably lost, but we still have a place to practice. And I'm sure we didn't really have a playbook yet. Coach Milanovich would likely bring in his own.
    Game film is an extremely important component of pro football, and while it's true Milanovich wll be bringing in his own playbook, it's also a safe assumption that a lot of what he is planning to do was already captured in some sort of storage medium already (possibly contained within the destroyed facility). I just hope everything was backed up off-site -- really want to hear from the team on exactly what has been lost.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Game film is an extremely important component of pro football, and while it's true Milanovich wll be bringing in his own playbook, it's also a safe assumption that a lot of what he is planning to do was already captured in some sort of storage medium already (possibly contained within the destroyed facility). I just hope everything was backed up off-site -- really want to hear from the team on exactly what has been lost.
    While you could probably e-mail the Argos to try to see if they would disclose that information to you (what was lost) I don't think we'll be hearing about it publically until closer to the season. With technology these days and I daresay the sensitivity of certain film/documents that the Aorgs would've had that it'd be backed up remotely somewhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    While you could probably e-mail the Argos to try to see if they would disclose that information to you (what was lost) I don't think we'll be hearing about it publically until closer to the season. With technology these days and I daresay the sensitivity of certain film/documents that the Aorgs would've had that it'd be backed up remotely somewhere.
    I agree with argofan87. Confidential material would be in other places as well as the training facility. In the case of theft, like a break & enter, the team would have backup files etc stored elsewhere I would think.

It will be interesting to hear the extent of what was lost & even how the fire started.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    It's 2011, and if they were still using tapes/DVD's for film then they are/were living in the past.

They are right beside a large Internet Backbone in U of T. They SHOULD at the very least have all raw data on a server in a secure location. If not most everything save for local copies.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This is awful news to hear. As said before, thankfully no one was hurt

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Speaking of film, is it unreasonable to think that other teams might step up and donate copies? It's a small league; one team suffers a loss like this, I would hope others would step up and help.