Reply to Thread
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

I appreciate the way we're using our PR players this season

It can't be much fun to be on the PR. You're paid a pittance to stay in shape and hope for an opportunity to play for a real salary, despite a very real chance that the team regards you as an emergency reserve option that they hope never to field.

Last year we started the season with Alexandre, C. Bradwell, Clement, Coughman, Harmon, Murillo and Z. Robinson on the PR. Of those, I think only Coughman, Murillo and Robinson ever saw the field, and that was towards the end of the season.

This year our post-camp PR was Alix, Ballard, Good, Lee, Simmons, Watkins, and C. Williams. We're only 4 games into the season, and four of those guys have already made important contributions. We're using the practice roster as a staging area, which seems wise; it will probably make it easier to sign players to the PR (or "demote" them to the PR) in the future.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Plus the guys are doing well for the most part

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    It can't be much fun to be on the PR. You're paid a pittance to stay in shape and hope for an opportunity to play for a real salary, despite a very real chance that the team regards you as an emergency reserve option that they hope never to field.

Last year we started the season with Alexandre, C. Bradwell, Clement, Coughman, Harmon, Murillo and Z. Robinson on the PR. Of those, I think only Coughman, Murillo and Robinson ever saw the field, and that was towards the end of the season.

This year our post-camp PR was Alix, Ballard, Good, Lee, Simmons, Watkins, and C. Williams. We're only 4 games into the season, and four of those guys have already made important contributions. We're using the practice roster as a staging area, which seems wise; it will probably make it easier to sign players to the PR (or "demote" them to the PR) in the future.
    This is an excellent point. Moving guys on and off the 46-man roster accomplishes a number of goals. It gives lots of guys a game cheque, which compensates for the pittance they make on the PR, it helps with trheir development and it gives virtually everyone around the team an important role. On that note, it's also great to see that Harris is now holding for place-kicks. It's a little-noticed but important role, and it's great to see the third-string QB doing something important. JJ has another important role as the short-yardage guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Probably because the Argos don't keep 10 players on the 1 game injured list like other teams. So the PR players are their back ups. I would say that is because they are paying Ricky Ray half a million, but then you look at Montreal. Cavillo must be paid in the 400,000 range and they can somehow keep players coming out their ears.
    The SMS cops probably just ask Jim Popp if he is under the cap, and if he says yep they probably say "that's good enough". lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Remember the final stages of C&S ownership? Money was tight & I recall there were no PR players. Heck, we only dressed 2 qb's for a stretch...& that was including Stephen Reeves!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I take it there aren't any restrictions as to the number of players on IR or the PR . Are there any restrictions with movment from one to the other? Otherwiase.... Manage whats available.
    I too like the practice of moving the players to and from the PR. If it is done regularly, then players know there is always potential for game time. Keeps them ready and prepared. But , when a player is on the PR are they available to other teams for poaching? Then maybe IR is the better storage spot.I am sure there are some requirements to be on the IR.

Achievements:

Level
    PR players can be signed by any team unless their current team is willing to put them on the 46 man roster for the following game. A few years ago we tried to sign SJ Green from Montreal's PR, but (unfortunately) they activated and therefore protected him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    PR players can be signed by any team unless their current team is willing to put them on the 46 man roster for the following game. A few years ago we tried to sign SJ Green from Montreal's PR, but (unfortunately) they activated and therefore protected him.
    I do recall that Wobbler, but a bit differently. It was 2009, the Andrus year. I thought the Argos put in a claim for SJ, but he knew better & refused to leave the Al's PR to come to the mess in Toronto?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I do recall that Wobbler, but a bit differently. It was 2009, the Andrus year. I thought the Argos put in a claim for SJ, but he knew better & refused to leave the Al's PR to come to the mess in Toronto?
    That is how I recall it also. BTW, you can have seven players on the PR at a maximum. Recently, there was some discussion on here about how the league wanted to bump the PR to 10 players and the CFLPA nixed that idea and I think that we were all having trouble figuring out why. Well, it just hit me the other day that the CFLPA would rather have their members earning a full salary on the IR than earning a pittance on the PR so having three extra spots on the PR really wouldn't do their members any good. Teams are keeping bloated rosters anyway but are simply being forced currently to keep some of those extras on the IR at full salary.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That is how I recall it also. BTW, you can have seven players on the PR at a maximum. Recently, there was some discussion on here about how the league wanted to bump the PR to 10 players and the CFLPA nixed that idea and I think that we were all having trouble figuring out why. Well, it just hit me the other day that the CFLPA would rather have their members earning a full salary on the IR than earning a pittance on the PR so having three extra spots on the PR really wouldn't do their members any good. Teams are keeping bloated rosters anyway but are simply being forced currently to keep some of those extras on the IR at full salary.
    That, plus having a bigger practice roster would mean less job security for roster players.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks, gillthethrill. You're right - I misremembered and misrepresented the claim on SJ Green.