Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Perhaps you are right...I do recall the game I am speaking of was Joes Barnes last in an Argo uniform...he was unhappy about Obie's offence....something about not being a robot.....

PW, AV Ravi, AT or any other Argo fan vet, please feel free to join in....
    It is amazing that Barnes' career would only last one more season. The Argos traded him to Calgary where he received a pretty nice salary but the Stamps were awful with declining attendance in the low teens. I believe that he only won one game in half of a season or so with the Stamps before he was sent to Montreal where he would play out that '85 season which would also mark the end of his career. For Barnes, he would have been better off sucking it up and staying in Toronto. His career may have lasted at least another couple of seasons if he had done that.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I am surprised there were 48k in the Ex that afternoon in 84, it just seemed emptier, but I believe you guys...also impressed about the Ilesic punt single attempt, I don't recall that....must admit, I would have loved to see PW slam the door that afternoon....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am surprised there were 48k in the Ex that afternoon in 84, it just seemed emptier, but I believe you guys...also impressed about the Ilesic punt single attempt, I don't recall that....must admit, I would have loved to see PW slam the door that afternoon....
    1984 was the last Exhibition Stadium year where the Argos drew at least 30K every home game.

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    23,543. Weather is simply too nice this weekend to draw a massive crowd. Walk-ups will be minimal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I say 28,000

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the Olympics on and many away on vacation, I will predict a cautiously optimistic 23,000. If the Argos continue to play exciting football while winning a fair share of the games I see a spike in attendance in September.

Boatman
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    From what I've heard about the infinitesimally small marketing strategy from the Argo head office, I predict Season ticket holder numbers, but less because of the non existent hype. It goes to show. It wasn't Braley. It was all BOB Ackles behind the rise of the Lions.
    If plan 'A' was any good, we wouldn't need a plan 'B'
    Unknown

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
    From what I've heard about the infinitesimally small marketing strategy from the Argo head office, I predict Season ticket holder numbers, but less because of the non existent hype. It goes to show. It wasn't Braley. It was all BOB Ackles behind the rise of the Lions.
    This is only Rudge's first year as head honcho. Give him some time. Even when Ackles returned to B.C. from the NFL in '02, the Lions were getting crowds of 15k that year. It took until Ackles' second year before they started showing signs of life.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This is only Rudge's first year as head honcho. Give him some time. Even when Ackles returned to B.C. from the NFL in '02, the Lions were getting crowds of 15k that year. It took until Ackles' second year before they started showing signs of life.
    Did Bob Ackles have the stadium issues that the Argos face? The negative/lack of media coverage (CFL being minor league)? No. I agree, give Rudge a bit of time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    What stadium issues do we have? Sure it's more of a Jays stadium than Argos but it's a great, big, with moveable roof kind of stadium. I think even the dude coming over from England would agree that even in the Premier League most people would love to have such a stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post
    What stadium issues do we have? Sure it's more of a Jays stadium than Argos but it's a great, big, with moveable roof kind of stadium. I think even the dude coming over from England would agree that even in the Premier League most people would love to have such a stadium.
    I always thought the Argos don't make $$ off concessions, parking etc. I am not sure how much they pay in rent. Also, the schedule is an issue due to the Jays, which I understand & recently TFC has somehow managed to become a more valuable tenant.

I have no issues with RC, it is a fine facility, but the Argos can't generate revenue is all I was trying to state.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson

Besides the loss of revenue, and the scheduling issues, being a second class citizen in the skydome doesn't contribute to the atmosphere. There aren't any flags, or Argo banners anywhere to say its Argos home field. There has been a few times when I bring people for the game, and they ask..." Are you sure the games here today? everything is Blue Jays." .... including the popcorn and beer. Tourists and visitors will like the stadium, ..... I do too, especially with the bad weather..... but experiencing a game at the skydome and then experiencing one at Ivor Wynn..... the Ticats have a more consistent fun fan experience. I have to say though there have been times lately when the Argos experience is improving ......hopefully with more bodies in the stadium that are willing to participate will help as well.

I always thought the Argos don't make $$ off concessions, parking etc. I am not sure how much they pay in rent. Also, the schedule is an issue due to the Jays, which I understand & recently TFC has somehow managed to become a more valuable tenant.

I have no issues with RC, it is a fine facility, but the Argos can't generate revenue is all I was trying to state.
    TFC..... I've met a few who love to go to the TFC games... their response is...." Soccer? not a fan but love the party in the stands."
    I wonder if they ever move to the skydome, if their fan base will increase accordingly.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:

Level
    Being 3-2 and in a tie for 1'st has to help attendance. Also the return of the popular Byron Parker may get a few more people out. Add to that the BC Lions are a very good football team and a great measuring stick for the Argos.

I'll stick my neck out and say 25,000 for this one.

Let's go Argos!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdrive250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Maybe a stupid guess here, but since it's a national holiday and Jays have the off day, it would be nice to get 30,000.
    Eddy

The only yardstick for success in our society, is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    As long as it rises, that's all that matters. Most Torontonians don't know what they are missing. As much as people slag the Rogers Centre, its actually a great place to be for a football game. The concourse is full of life, and the people in the stands make more noise than any Jays game.
    As much as the Argos have a better team this year, let's not confuse this with the Skydome being the football stadium that it isn't. There are seats in the 200 level that make you feel like you're watching the game from Lake Ontario....it's not because of the team, but the bowl shaped seating of a multi-purpose stadium. I was at Molson Stadium in Montreal, and while that may not have the comforts of a shopping mall like the dome does, it is a great football stadium...which has the intimacy of Ivor Wynne, but is much newer and refurbished. The dome may have wide concourses, but that's because it's a 50,000 multi purpose facility which is less than half full for an Argo game...With all do respect, I prefer the atmosphere to be at the seats cheering the action on the field and not at the concourse.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Once again I'm soon to be 50 and am old enough to remember some miserable, cold soaking we horrible games at CNE. Anyone who wants to go back to that is crazy. Two games will never leave my mind. My first Grey Cup in 82 where I sat in my first season tic seats in the Scotia Bank cheap seats in the endzone. It was a gong show not only for the cold pouring rain at the end of Nov but people wizzing in the stands, mop buckets because the cans were full. It was a mess. Then during a summer game against Ottawa a few years before that I was on the newer Blue Jays side and in rained so hard that my brand new blue roots earth shoes turned my white socks blue.hahaha. The rain was flowing down the stairs and into the concoarse at about two inches in depth. You were'nt exactly close to the field at CNE either.
    So if we ever get a new stadium they better have it open over the field but covered oer the fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    A horrible game all around. IIRC, Holloway had a TD drive on the first series of that game, and was injured later in the first quarter. Joe Barnes worst performance ever as an Argo. Add some very questionable coaching decisions by Obie, and it was a horrible day--the one that comes to mind was last play of regulation time, in a tie game, rather than let Ilesic try a 48 yard field goal, he elected to try and punt for a single. Argos should have won the cup that year as well.
    Hank "the Shank" was a terrible place kicker....he also missed a 30 yard FG in OT if I remember correctly. It may not have been Obie's best decision, but it was only a tough decision because Ilesic could not kick FG's off a tee for shit...he was always inconsistent...even in the Grey Cup in 1983, his place kicks were shaky.

Combine his poor kicking that day with Bernie Rouff making FG's from 54 and 56 yards, and you know why the Ticats won that Eastern Final in 1984. The Argos were a good club in 1984, but a club that was already showing signs of falling apart after the midway point of the season. They started better in 84, than they did in 83 and and 82, as they were 7-2, but only went 2-4-1 in their remaining 7 games to finish 9-6-1. They backed into 1st place in the east because the other teams were below 500. Hamilton and Montreal were 6-9-1 while Ottawa was dreadful at 4-12 and at the end of the successful George Brancato era which saw them have their last great teams of the late 70's.

3 of those 4 Argo losses in that second half of the season were at home to Calgary, Saskatchewan and Hamilton and all of them by less than a TD...I believe they were respectively 28-24, 19-15, and 25-20. I believe the Ticats also started 1-8 that season, which means that they were 5-1-1 in their last seven games or something close to that. The Argos were below .500 at home that season as they had also lost home games to BC and Montreal earlier in the season. The only home wins in 1984 were against Ottawa, Winnipeg and Edmonton...the only impressive win was against a good Bombers team late that year, 31-19.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 08-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I understand what you guys are saying about the stadium being all Blue Jays but the truth is, Rogers owns the stadium and the Blue Jays, they obviously have the Jays at heart. I'm sure the reason why there aren't more Argos banners during a game is due to the Argos not spending the money to get it done rather RC not allowing it. That is something that hopefully could change if we win more games and get more bodies into the stadium, don't really see any other way of solving that.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree the sight lines are bad. The 100 level is brutal IMO. No way to get the height needed to get perspectives of yard lines, I feel totally lost there. The 200 is better, but near midfield, you're still very removed. The 500s would be immensely better IMO, but they don't sell them. When I first moved here, I resisted getting season tickets as the only view I cared for was the 500 level.

Throw in uncomfortable, narrow seats (worse than most arenas/stadiums), ridiculous concession prices, and the dome unfortunately ranks near the bottom of football stadiums I've been to (which is quite a few across the continent). I'd much rather have something along the Ivor Wynne lines.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Oh well its game time, no excuses! Lets see what the attendance is. Here's hoping for 25,000!! Let's build from there!! Oh ya and ARRRRRGGGGGGOOOOOOSSSSSS!!!!!!