1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this sucks

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Pretty startling move. Obviously there will be much more to come on this story but whatever the motivation for his release, it apparently made him untradeable.
    Last edited by Wobbler; 08-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    what the actual ____ is going on here? if anyone has the scoop on this, please PM it to me...
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Achievements:

Level
    Among other things, I think this is a statement that our 2012 O-Line is not going to be fixable to become the traditional run-blocking unit that Boyd needs. I guess we've decided to save the payroll and use an outside runner like Kackert. And even though he certainly seems to have trade value, most of the league seems pretty happy with its run game right now. Winnipeg isn't getting many yards on the ground, but that isn't Simpson's fault. Maybe everyone passed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Among other things, I think this is a statement that our 2012 O-Line is not going to be fixable to become the traditional run-blocking unit that Boyd needs. I guess we've decided to save the payroll and use an outside runner like Kackert.
    if that were true, we'd have traded him. he has a very manageable contract and plenty of mileage left in him. the fact that we outright released him says that something made it impossible to deal him...
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    #1 role of a RB in a Trestovich offense is BLOCKING... There was nothing wrong with his yard production.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    He was making too much money to be traded. What is surprising to me is that we let go of Riggs. If this decision was a long time in the making, sure was not a lot of effort put in his replacement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post
    He was making too much money to be traded. What is surprising to me is that we let go of Riggs. If this decision was a long time in the making, sure was not a lot of effort put in his replacement.
    i don't buy that at all. recall that he negotiated his own deal after his rookie year and got less $ than many of us thought he could command. i remember the precise figures... it wasn't so much for a star RB at all.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    i don't buy that at all. recall that he negotiated his own deal after his rookie year and got less $ than many of us thought he could command. i remember the precise figures... it wasn't so much for a star RB at all.
    He was making something like $95k per year which is low for a running back of his stature. I recall that KCArgofan was concerned that Boyd was being taken advantage of.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    He was making something like $95k per year which is low for a running back of his stature. I recall that KCArgofan was concerned that Boyd was being taken advantage of.
    That is correct, and I still think he was taken advantage of considering the time.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I still don't get it...how is this supposed to fix our horrid offensive line?
    Agreed. This move makes no sense. You could have put Walter Payton out there against BC and he wouldn't have done squat. I also fail to see Kackert being as good a blocker as Boyd.

I'm not happy with the Argos right now.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    Boyd was hated by his team and coaches. Rob Murphy on TSN radio, just said that Boyd had the media and fans fooled and his true colours started to come out. Would cut up other players and take shots at the CFL in the locker room. Would tell the media he lead his life a certain way, but in real life was out all night carry on. If true i say, good job on cutting him
    Maybe Rob Murphy hated him, but I have a hard time believing the whole team did. As anthonyrussell said, in Milanovich's press conference, he shrugged off the suggestion of Boyd being a bad teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Sounds familiar...I wonder which poster called out Boyd's attitude last year. It looks like it's festered again. As a follower of the CFL for 30 years now, this does not surprise me...we've seen this happen many times before, especially to running backs...it even happens in that other football league, the one that pays millions.

Maybe the Argos noticed that his best game was against a Hamilton defense that sucks against the run...I'm way past my athletic prime and was never good enough to play pro but watching the Cats get run over by Cornish, I think I can rush for 50 yds against them in a game.
    You've always been a Boyd hater for some reason, but if you actually got put on the field against Hamilton, one of their linebackers would put you in the hospital.

Boatman
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sweet fancy Moses..... did not see that coming. Guess it frees up some dough for other things, and his role is slightly diminished this year, but still rather upsetting to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Instead of finding ways to use this great offensive weapon, Milanovich seemed to approach the Argos running game as an afterthought. There was a complete lack of imagination there. From the shotgun formation, giving Boyd the ball from a standing start and sending him into the 1 or 2 hole, time after time after time, it is a testament to Boyd's abilities that he got as many yards as he did. I didn't see any attempt to get Boyd outside the tackles on a running play, whether a sweep or pitchout or some kind of misdirection. Watch the variety of running plays that Saskatchewan runs with their fine young back to see what should have been done here.
    I can see where Boyd does not fit into this offence, but the problem for me is that this offence is too predictable, as noted above. During the BC game, the Lions pinned back their ears and rushed the qb on virtually every play, having figured out that Boyd wasn't going to get the ball often. With a weak Argo offensive line, their dominant defensive linemen could rush straight ahead and get to Ray quickly, often without any blitz. Even if Boyd had been blocking consistently, it would not have made much difference because in far too many cases there were two or three linemen converging on Ray. I accept that somebody might have a different viewpoint on this. However, both Boyd and Milanovich commented that Boyd was surprised when he was told he was cut. If that is the case, then that squarely lies at Milanovich's feet for failing to communicate. For example, the Atlanta Braves announcer revealed on Saturday that their manager told Juan Francisco, a borderline major leaguer who had failed to make it in Cinncinati, was on the verge of being cut because of poor batting and fielding practice efforts leading to poor game performance. Francisco responded by improving his practice efforts and game performance. While not all teams have had great success in redeeming players, the Braves have a reputation of giving players that other teams have given up on another chance, communicating clearly what is expected of them, and having success with them. The one time they failed to communicate with a player effectively (because of language problems with a Japanese player) they admitted it. This even attracts many players who have been cut by other teams and some stars who come as free agents, even sometimes for less money.

Most power running backs need to carry the ball a lot in order to wear down the defence so that they can overpower them at the end of the game when their team has the lead and the opponent knows that is what is going to happen. Without such a back and a weak offensive line, I predict the Argos will have trouble protecting leads near the end of games. While the Argos have a top qb, their set of receivers is improved but slightly below league average, and the their offensive line is weak, making a Montreal-style offence questionable at best in Argoland. While coaches can have success installing a new system, the best coaches, such as Wally Buono and the famous John Wooden in basketball, design their offences to support their personnel in order to achieve long-term success.
    Last edited by jerrym; 08-13-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Darn it, I just dropped $200 on a Boyd jersey last game. Talk about bad timing. When looking at players available, I thought he was a lock. Argos should exchange our jersey's, LOL. What a story this will be...

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Darn it, I just dropped $200 on a Boyd jersey last game. Talk about bad timing. When looking at players available, I thought he was a lock. Argos should exchange our jersey's, LOL. What a story this will be...
    They should at least offer to re-stich it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Boyd's salary was actually pretty reasonable (~100K if I remember correctly).
    That makes him the second highest paid RB in the league right now behind Cobourne, who is likely to be released soon as well.

Boatman
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Yeah I was gonna comment on jersey sales. Moves like this might make fans hesitant to buy them. Boy am I scratching my head over this. Is it at all possible he has some NFL interest?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheFan View Post
    Yeah I was gonna comment on jersey sales. Moves like this might make fans hesitant to buy them. Boy am I scratching my head over this. Is it at all possible he has some NFL interest?
    Wouldn't be the first time a NFL team has wanted a player in the CFL and some deals have been made behind the scenes. Cory Boyd is more of a NFL type RB. I believe he slimmed down this year to around 210, but at 225 again he would be what some teams down there look for in their 1st down backs.
    Now I wonder what teams in the NFL could deliver some players that the Argos would love to have. KC has a LBer that would look good in Double Blue, Minnesota has an O-Lineman who would also be a Canadian starter here.
    Saw a RT play some for the NY Giants the other night. He didn't look out of place, could be an upgrade on the Argo O-Line. He is big. Was the biggest guy on the field when he played.
    It was a shock to hear Cory Boyd was released, but he as an import is much easier replaced. Especially if you can get some top notch Canadian talent in return.
    I hope my theory is right and the Argos can get a good Canadian back from the NFL. They are just another body down there but huge for the ratio up here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time a NFL team has wanted a player in the CFL and some deals have been made behind the scenes. Cory Boyd is more of a NFL type RB. I believe he slimmed down this year to around 210, but at 225 again he would be what some teams down there look for in their 1st down backs.
    Now I wonder what teams in the NFL could deliver some players that the Argos would love to have. KC has a LBer that would look good in Double Blue, Minnesota has an O-Lineman who would also be a Canadian starter here.
    Saw a RT play some for the NY Giants the other night. He didn't look out of place, could be an upgrade on the Argo O-Line. He is big. Was the biggest guy on the field when he played.
    It was a shock to hear Cory Boyd was released, but he as an import is much easier replaced. Especially if you can get some top notch Canadian talent in return.
    I hope my theory is right and the Argos can get a good Canadian back from the NFL. They are just another body down there but huge for the ratio up here.

But is Boyd even eligible for the NFL in 2012? I see some other CfL club picking him up. Honestly, its a bad move by the Argos based on the reasons i have heard from coach Millanovich. Coach said something along the lines of Boyd not playing physical enough when he is not a part of the primary play which i guess jeopardizes Rays well being out there. I don't buy it. Boyd is no stranger to mixing it up at any role.

My advice to any Argo fan buying Jersey----> BUY A BLANK!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    This is why I never get a player jersey until they retire. Unlike players (because this is a business as well as a sport) I will always get my own name because I will always be partof the team. Sounds like Rob Murphy's tweet sums up or may be a clue as to why this happened.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post
    Boyd's salary was actually pretty reasonable (~100K if I remember correctly).

Yeah. He was on the second year of a three year extension that paid "just below six figures".
    Last edited by Wobbler; 08-12-2012 at 12:37 PM.