Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You keep harping on this RBs only get 100 yds, or are a good part of an offence only when the team has a big lead; some of the time maybe, but hardly a fact of CFL life like you think it is. The Bombers crushed the Argos this year with 200 + rushing yards and it was hardly due to a big lead; remember Eric Lapointe destroying the Argos in a play-off gane a few years back in the 2nd half
    Since it is so difficult to find recent examples where a run-heavy offense won a game, there's no way of proving whether or not this strategy would work in the league today. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, OV?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    You keep harping on this RBs only get 100 yds, or are a good part of an offence only when the team has a big lead; some of the time maybe, but hardly a fact of CFL life like you think it is. The Bombers crushed the Argos this year with 200 + rushing yards and it was hardly due to a big lead; remember Eric Lapointe destroying the Argos in a play-off gane a few years back in the 2nd half; i could go on and on with all sorts of CFL examples but not sure you would get it.

Boyd or Messam types are big power backs ; teams who commit to plenty of run games with 20+ carries for those type of backs have often has success in the CFL; not in the cards though if your offensive coaching has basically little of zero faith in a consistent, applied run game - which is the case for pretty well all CFL homogenous look offences now. I got a kick out of some posts here suggesting the Esks might run all over the Argos D which has been weak at times stopping the run; worked-out OK in first series with some run helping set-up a TD drive; they DID NOT however stick with a consistent run game the rest of the game - looked good on them and nice for the Argos D. Again - there is basically ZERO on field actual game evidence of CFL teams pounding a run game and it failing (and i challenge you to present me with one single CFL game evidence from the last decade of a team trying to run more than pass and it failing - with a loss) - it's simply the choice of CFL offensive coaches who aren't fans of a big ground game and prefer pass calls; you are free to believe of course that it just can't work in the CFL.
    Starting late in the first quarter, the Argos stuffed the Edmonton running game. The Esks tried to run in the second quarter but the Argos kept stuffing them and forcing them into second and long. The Esks could stick with that running game while they were ahead or at least close but they fell behind by a fair bit quite quickly and it didn't help that the Argos were stuffing the run game either.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You keep harping on this RBs only get 100 yds, or are a good part of an offence only when the team has a big lead; some of the time maybe, but hardly a fact of CFL life like you think it is. The Bombers crushed the Argos this year with 200 + rushing yards and it was hardly due to a big lead; remember Eric Lapointe destroying the Argos in a play-off gane a few years back in the 2nd half; i could go on and on with all sorts of CFL examples but not sure you would get it.
    Good for you. You brought up 2 examples over a 7 year period to support your theory. I'll even give you a third example when Mike Kelly coached the Bombers, and they had one of those games similar to the one against this years Argos in B.C.

Fact of the matter is that there have been 2 teams since 2000 that tried to lead their offence with a run first style. Just how are John Huard and Mike Kelly doing these days?

You are going to have to live with the fact that this isn't the football being played back in the 60's and 70's when teams had no problem running twice and then punting. More often than not, running backs in the CFL pad their stats when the team has a lead.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by larz-7 View Post
    if Boyd is released from edmonton and we could get him cheap i would take another look at him.maybe not as a starter every down.he did do some great stuff for us in a bad situation.cory suffered from the the ricky ray syndrome playing your old team that he probably loved.cory needs some pinball love .i know he does not fit our system but i still love a bruising back
    He doesn't fit into Milanovich's offence. No way he is back here. Maybe Ottawa in 2014?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Good for you. You brought up 2 examples over a 7 year period to support your theory. I'll even give you a third example when Mike Kelly coached the Bombers, and they had one of those games similar to the one against this years Argos in B.C.

Fact of the matter is that there have been 2 teams since 2000 that tried to lead their offence with a run first style. Just how are John Huard and Mike Kelly doing these days?

You are going to have to live with the fact that this isn't the football being played back in the 60's and 70's when teams had no problem running twice and then punting. More often than not, running backs in the CFL pad their stats when the team has a lead.
    I would be tempted to put Gary Etcheverry into that category as well, Angelo, and he led the Argos to a 4-8 record in '02 before being axed. Etch tried to implement a 1960s style offence at the U of Ottawa this year too and it didn't work out very well for him.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Since it is so difficult to find recent examples where a run-heavy offense won a game, there's no way of proving whether or not this strategy would work in the league today. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, OV?

You're right; there is not a lot of evidence to say a run-heavy offence would work as a great offence or even an average or decent one in the CFL and there is no way to prove it. I'll however continue to point out the number of times it does work for a win in the CFL and I'll wait to see a single game of evidence when it fails. - that's my main point - there is ZERO evidence of it failing in the CFL.

And I don't see a single poster here suggesting any CFL teams should run more than pass; just more that it is a possibility if an offensie coach decided to call a game that way - which only happens a few times maybe in a season (and again with ZERO loss evidence); I for one would like to see a CFL team or two like that or even a few more games in a season featuring that - just beciase I like variety and diversity in the game of football.

It's the usual & typical defendesr of the good ole boy faith who get all bent out of shape when the topic comes up; how dare anyone suggest anything other than what the coaches in a cliquish 8 team league do is a possibilty or might be interesting to see? If some or most are however in love with same-old, same-old homogenous look offeces of today's CFL - then great, good for you. If you think the CFL can and should only work one standard way, then good for you too I guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It's the usual & typical defendesr of the good ole boy faith who get all bent out of shape when the topic comes up; how dare anyone suggest anything other than what the coaches in a cliquish 8 team league do is a possibilty or might be interesting to see? If some or most are however in love with same-old, same-old homogenous look offeces of today's CFL - then great, good for you. If you think the CFL can and should only work one standard way, then good for you too I guess.
    It isn't like offences are struggling to score in this league, OV. The average points per game this season was just under 52 which was about a point and a half better than last year. This average is pretty much where it has been since the early 1980s save for a few years in the early 1990s when it got up to over 60 points per game. When there was much more running in this league, there were far fewer points scored (see the 1960s and 1970s). I will gladly take the offences of today over the offences of the 1970s.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    And I don't see a single poster here suggesting any CFL teams should run more than pass; just more that it is a possibility if an offensie coach decided to call a game that way - which only happens a few times maybe in a season (and again with ZERO loss evidence); I for one would like to see a CFL team or two like that or even a few more games in a season featuring that - just beciase I like variety and diversity in the game of football.
    I'd like to see more experimentation too, as I think you know. But a run heavy approach is the last thing the Argos should consider considering that A) we're winning with our current approach and B) we've got Ricky Ray. Rushing more would not play to our strengths. It's something that a new team like Ottawa or a rebuilding team like Winnipeg might try, but we're not here to talk about them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    We threw 30 passes and rushed 24 times -- a very nice mix, IMO. Admittedly five of the rushes were short-yardage sneaks by Jackson, and a lot of Kackert's 15 carries (for 88 yards, a nice six-yard average) were with a big lead, but it's pretty tough to argue with the success of what we did yesterday. I'll take a 5-to-4 pass-to-run ratio any time, as long as we win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'll take a 5-to-4 pass-to-run ratio any time, as long as we win.
    I'll take any ratio as long as we win. I'm just not convinced a heavy run first offence would win in the CFL. It might work out for a win every so often, but not consistently.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think, especially after this victory, that no one can say that the Argos made a mistake in letting Boyd go. Kackert has complimented the system well and while Boyd was a fan favourite and a good player, this was a good football decision.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Kackert has become a very good player and he's all heart. I guess trusting good football decisions are easier with the right coaches and staff in place. I like our future direction for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    IMO winning teams usually do both. Not because the run game is very effective but because it keeps the defence guessing and opens up holes to both the run game and the passing game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'll take any ratio as long as we win. I'm just not convinced a heavy run first offence would win in the CFL. It might work out for a win every so often, but not consistently.
    I say we try it. Let's get Fisher DeBerry in as head coach, re-sign Boyd, sign Vince Young at QB and run the Air Force option.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I say we try it. Let's get Fisher DeBerry in as head coach, re-sign Boyd, sign Vince Young at QB and run the Air Force option.
    I want Billy Sims, Gregg Pruitt, and David Overstreet's shoes in the backfield

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    From all early indications, it appears how Cory's days in the CFL are pretty much done now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I believe Hustler magazine has their monthly presentation for comments like that. You my friend are being nominated for the Hustler A**hole of the month.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Who or what is a Fisher DeBerry?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Who or what is a Fisher DeBerry?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_DeBerry

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    hahaha, good stuff