Sad days for professional sports. Breaking news on Sunday was that the big 6 English Premiership League teams signed a Letter of Intent to breakaway from the EPL and form a league with out big European teams. We followed the BBC pundits and fans. 99.9% oppose the move. It seems the future is either the end of professional football in England or a return to the grass roots. England is where it all started.

The current EPL TV contracts (£5-6 billion) trickle down from the big 6. Relegation and promotion are key elements of the English leagues. EUFA Cup, Champions League, FA Cup games are part of the TV contracts.

The pandemic is being used as the reason why the new league is forming now.

For most of my life a NFL franchise in Toronto has been seen as inevitable. Perhaps Montreal and Vancouver too.

I can’t help but sympathize with English football fans today. I guess the opposite reaction would be expected here. Plenty of NFL wannabes have been vocal for years.

The CFL Board of Governors will be meeting this week to discuss the future of the league. Will it merge with XFL? What is MSLE’s endgame? Is the NFL their endgame?