The Lions have signed another prototypical CFL QB in Alex Ross.

If Alex Ross is a prototypical CFL quarterback, Carson Wentz is the model of what the NFL wants. At 6-5 and 237 pounds, Wentz has four inches and 30 pounds on Ross and flips on the power switch when he throws the football. After leading North Dakota State to its fifth straight FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) title, Wentz became the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, by the Philadelphia Eagles, despite the fact his college mastery came against the likes of Missouri State and Western Illinois.
Ross — whose signing was announced this week by the CFL’s B.C. Lions — went head-to-head against Wentz in their respective junior seasons, quarterbacking the Carolina Coastal Chanticleers in a playoff game against the Bison in Fargo, N.D., shown nationally on ESPN. While the Chants lost, 39-32, Ross ran for two touchdowns, though he completed just 11 of 24 pass attempts for 197 yards — for good reason. He separated his right shoulder in the first quarter. ...
The quarterback worked out for the Lions at a free-agent camp last year in Dallas. Still, believing that Ross remained fixated on NFL opportunities, and not truly committed to the CFL option, the Lions decided not to invite him to mini-camp or training camp.

“I’ve seen him a ton,” Lions scout Ryan Rigmaiden says. “He broke every passing record Coastal Carolina ever had. He’s a good decision-maker, really accurate and throws a good ball. He can sling it. He’s a humble kid, too. His intangibles are off the charts.” Coastal Carolina’s all-time leader in a host of passing categories, Ross was the first quarterback selected to the All-Big South first team for three consecutive seasons. He was 33-8 as a starter (.805 winning percentage). In 2015, Ross became just the fourth Chanticleer to be named an FCS All-American. The other three — quarterback Tyler Thigpen (2006), a Vikings draft pick, Panthers/Redskins super villain cornerback Josh Norman (2011), and Bears rookie offensive lineman Chad Hamilton (2014), who retired before his pro career began — were all NFL-bound after graduation. ...
“I’m a realist,” he says. “I’m just over six feet (and 200 pounds). And a lot of teams overlook you because of it. Despite my production in college, I was a long shot (for the NFL).
http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...make-an-impact