Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
Very sorry to hear this. We've always enjoyed Hoagie and Jeff in the both. That also means that Sandy Annuziata and Chuck Winters won't be available for the post game shows. I will always remember listening to post game shows all the way back to the 1960s. A rite of passage going over the games afterwards. Good, bad and ugly ones. Mel Profit always amused us with his honesty. Until CFRB canned him, of coarse. Pretty sure Ralph Sazio had a hand in this one.

I think this cost savings, like others, can be drawn directly back to the CRTC ruling that Canadian channels had to air US commercials. If I am correct, a $25 million hit to Bell Media? US commercial content just cost a lot of Canadians their jobs. In retrospect, how wise was that move?
I really don't think the CRTC ruling on simulcasting had anything to do with this as the Argos radio broadcasts have not been economically viable for decades. Do you remember the year they had no radio coverage at all...I think around 1999 or 2000. It had gotten that bad, and word was out that the Argos were paying for their airtime. That won't drive radio sponsors to your product.

You definitely have several years on me if you remember listening to games in the 1960s and 1970s, but I'm pretty sure that Mel Profit had moved out of Toronto by the time Sazio became Argo GM and President in 1981. So it wouldn't have been him who influenced CFRB in their decision. I believe I've heard that happened during one of the late 70s seasons which saw Profit work as a radio analyst with Dave Hodge doing play-by-by....wow, talk about outspoken on-air talent, something that you hardly see and hear from today's company "yes" men.