Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    The MLS' tv deals (ESPN, Fox, Univision) aren't just for the MLS though, it includes tv rights for the Men's and Women's National teams, so a chunk of that money goes to the USSF. The USSF needs the MLS to be successful, so they combined the rights.

The MLS' regular season ratings are similar to the CFL's (Playoffs: the MLS pushes well ahead), but I think you're right, $10 million US would be surprising. Heck, I'd love to see a $20 million US deal, and for the next Canadian rights deal to be $100 million, but being hopeful and realistic are two different things sometimes.
    I think there are things in play right now and moving the season was also for a US TV deal. Just reading between the lines. There is an 8 month NFL gap currently and the CFL can fill some of that in the US with summer football. Football on a Football Network - seems to be a calling. I was hoping CFL would let TSN know what they want from a US TV deal and let TSN negotiate it with ESPN and NFL networks or anyone else. TSN could also use it to showcase their brand. Making the right moves now will only grow the CFL in the US.

If CBA moves to 8 - 10 million it does change how it would be viewed in the US college ranks as it could move all active roster players to $100K +. We might even have our 1st $1M dollar player in a long while

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Predictions: The salary cap will not be at $10M even at the end of the next CBA. And CFL will not cede its bargaining with US network(s) to Bell.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Predictions: The salary cap will not be at $10M even at the end of the next CBA. And CFL will not cede its bargaining with US network(s) to Bell.
    Maybe not, but the players association has to do a better job during the next CBA and not capitulate like they did under the current version.
    I would also be in favour of the franchise player rule excluded from the cap, with a max of $750K.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Maybe not, but the players association has to do a better job during the next CBA and not capitulate like they did under the current version.
    I would also be in favour of the franchise player rule excluded from the cap, with a max of $750K.
    Problem is, as Paul mentioned above, the majority of American players are not on the same page as the Canadian players. The majority of the American players are still of the belief that they need to get more film for the hope to make it back to the NFL. Those players will not play hard ball against the owners, and thus, the cap will not go up significantly. I think the best anyone can really hope for would be a 7M cap, and that`s only with a significant increase in a TV deal.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Problem is, as Paul mentioned above, the majority of American players are not on the same page as the Canadian players. The majority of the American players are still of the belief that they need to get more film for the hope to make it back to the NFL. Those players will not play hard ball against the owners, and thus, the cap will not go up significantly. I think the best anyone can really hope for would be a 7M cap, and that`s only with a significant increase in a TV deal.
    TSN deal ends in 2021, and the Espn deal ends after this upcoming season. I wonder if the League sticks exclusively with TSN after 2021, orginally the new deal was supposed to end after 2018, but the extension was signed not long after the Bell and Tanenbaum sale announcement, one guess as to why the extension occurred when it did. With Rogers now owning a piece of the Argos, and talks of a tenth team, will the deal be split between the two ? Could another media outlet come into play ? Will the CFL have their own digital platform similar to NLLTV ?

It'll be interesting to see if/how much the League grows within the next 5 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Will their even be traditional networks in three years? I wouldn't bet on it, given the pace of change in the media world.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Here is an interesting take by a well known Riders beat writer.
    The players association has to get a better deal next CBA?

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl...4-a652f12f3ff6

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Here is an interesting take by a well known Riders beat writer.
    The players association has to get a better deal next CBA?

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl...4-a652f12f3ff6
    This is why I always say unless there is big upfront signing bonus money, a CFL player that signs more than a 1 year contract (with the exception being the mandatory 2 year entry deal) is nuts.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This is why I always say unless there is big upfront signing bonus money, a CFL player that signs more than a 1 year contract (with the exception being the mandatory 2 year entry deal) is nuts.
    signing and rosters bonuses are only forum of guaranteed money in football. Thats why the stars get them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe time for the CFL to have guaranteed contracts for veterans ?
    The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, but we do see considerably more guaranteed money worked into deals nowadays compared to 5-10 years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe time for the CFL to have guaranteed contracts for veterans ?
    The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, but we do see considerably more guaranteed money worked into deals nowadays compared to 5-10 years ago.
    I don't think it will happen TBH.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Guaranteed contracts won't happen without a seriously disruptive work stoppage, and I just don't see it happening. The players are always divided (NATs/INTs, vets/rookies), and any work stoppage would cut into already short careers. I expect the CFLPA to do better next time than it has in past negotiations, but it's not gonna get a $10M cap, guaranteed contracts or anything like that. Vanstone is a good CFL reporter but this column is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think it will happen TBH.
    Neither do I, just thinking aloud I guess. GM's will never go for it, and the owners during CBA negotiations have most if not all the leverage, and I doubt they'd go for it either. The players (especially the lower end ones) deserve more money though - $$$ for admin and football ops are going up at an alarming rate the last few years (I'm basing this on Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan's annual reports), and yet there never seems to be more money for the players. As I stated previously: $50k annual increases to the cap are pathetic IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Neither do I, just thinking aloud I guess. GM's will never go for it, and the owners during CBA negotiations have most if not all the leverage, and I doubt they'd go for it either. The players (especially the lower end ones) deserve more money though - $$$ for admin and football ops are going up at an alarming rate the last few years (I'm basing this on Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan's annual reports), and yet there never seems to be more money for the players. As I stated previously: $50k annual increases to the cap are pathetic IMO.
    The 1 think I would like to see is for the guaranteed contract on vets to be pushed up to 4 games rather than 9. If a vet makes it out of camp, he has earned that right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So far commish Randy has proven he is a visionary in the many things he has accomplished.
    Maybe it is now time as one poster mentioned earlier, instead of the current ludicrous SMS amount, replace it with a on field football budget to pay players and coaching staff.
    Now that would be progressive and also like the coaches salaries being guaranteed same thing should apply to the players.
    I'll throw the first figure of $12.5M annually, subject to change?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'll throw the first figure of $12.5M annually, subject to change?
    Good luck with that one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Just a reminder that Ambrosie works for the owners. Unless they want a cap that covers all football expenses, it won't happen.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    The CFL has always had difficult relationship with media and how to sell itself in a modern world.This is a problem that goes back to the early 1970's
    with the community-own western teams overruling Sam Berger with the US syndication deal that opened the door for the WFL.John F.Basset knew the
    league's management was petty, short sighted, vindictive and narrow in its ways.He wanted nothing to do with maintaining ownership and it might have been
    a different league if he had been involved as owner.The league is probably going to make this shortsighted move with the NFL.It is the equivalent to chasing pennies
    down a gutter.Mr.Rhodes,Mr.Reynolds, and Mr.Miller want this and they will all be long gone when the damage is done.
    Sadly, if they were more patient ,they could easily get a bridge contract later in the spring for the U.S rights with Amazon til 2021 and see what the media landscape will be like
    at that time.

Amazon is hungry for rights to sports and they are just starting to flex their muscles.
    https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    The CFL has always had difficult relationship with media and how to sell itself in a modern world.This is a problem that goes back to the early 1970's
    with the community-own western teams overruling Sam Berger with the US syndication deal that opened the door for the WFL.John F.Basset knew the
    league's management was petty, short sighted, vindictive and narrow in its ways.He wanted nothing to do with maintaining ownership and it might have been
    a different league if he had been involved as owner.The league is probably going to make this shortsighted move with the NFL.It is the equivalent to chasing pennies
    down a gutter.Mr.Rhodes,Mr.Reynolds, and Mr.Miller want this and they will all be long gone when the damage is done.
    Sadly, if they were more patient ,they could easily get a bridge contract later in the spring for the U.S rights with Amazon til 2021 and see what the media landscape will be like
    at that time.

Amazon is hungry for rights to sports and they are just starting to flex their muscles.
    https://www.sporttechie.com/amazon-prime-video-avp-beach-volleyball-streaming/

As we have seen is such a short period of time, I would not sellout commish Randy so fast.
    The man appears to be a business genius and I would not be surprised if he is not already looking into this possibility?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I wouldn't. NFL Network is competing against ESPN for the rights. The audience for CFL games on ESPN was very promising this year, and they added extra games mid-season. June and July is a dead zone for US sports -- that's one-sixth the entire year -- and the networks are desperate for good content. There are so many football fans down there, it's not too far-fetched to imagine they could grow their viewership for CFL games over a few seasons, given the right presentation and good scheduling.
    You seem to think both of those networks have that kind of money to burn, which isn't the case. ESPN, for sure, isn't going to shell out any kind of substantial cash with its financial position.