Reply to Thread

Thread: Victor Butler

Hybrid View

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not a fan of him saying he's being taken hostage, when there are actual hostages in the world. But, if he was promised to be released, then he probably should. Do I think he needed to write everything that he did publicly? No. And seeing that he lasted in the NFL for more years than the average player, i'm sure there are more CFL players who are currently playing (and not publicly complaining) and are under much more financial stress living in TO or Vancouver than he is. He also has quite the nice car, if its even his LOL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Part of this problem relates to the change in management. Barker let some players go the NFL after one year. As Butler's letter notes, he was signed after Popp became GM. IMO, if Barker promised Butler or Wider they could go to the NFL after one year, Popp should honour that as an Argo promise even if he wants to change his approach on two year contracts in the future. Failing to keep Barker's commitment, if that was what happened, could hurt recruiting in the future as players wonder if other promises will be upheld or if they will be ignored if management changes, as sooner or later it will.

Last February, I signed a one-year deal with the organization that included a team-held option. I made it painfully clear to the team that I was only interested in playing the 2017 season. I saw this as a great opportunity and possible chance to relaunch my NFL career where I had played 65 games over seven seasons. I was told that the Argos have a history of working with guys who have the opportunity to play down south, so if it did not pan out there was always a home for them back in Toronto.
    I said: “If that’s the understanding, let’s do it.”
    Shortly after joining the team, Jim Popp was hired on as general manager and Marc Trestman as the head coach.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/01/26/vi...lding-hostage/