Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    You are bang on Area 51. I work with a guy who is buddies with Kaczur. He told me he is 50lbs under his playing weight. He is also enjoying family life.
    Don't forget that he had some issues with pain pills IIRC so playing football probably isn't what he needs to be doing at this point in his life. He has already made substantial money in the NFL as well which leaves even less incentive to continue playing.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Don't forget that he had some issues with pain pills IIRC so playing football probably isn't what he needs to be doing at this point in his life. He has already made substantial money in the NFL as well which leaves even less incentive to continue playing.
    Thats right Ravi. I believe, if memory serves his back was causing him that pain. Losing 50 lbs may help eleviate the pain as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    When was the last time a guy started for several seasons in the NFL, then came to the CFL (excluding Ricky Williams, whose situation was unique)? Kaczur started the lion's share of games for five seasons with the Pats -- he would have made huge money by comparison to CFL salaries. Even if he was healthy and had no takers in the NFL, I cannot imagine he would play in Canada even for $200k/year. Mike Schad came back to Canada, but that was ages ago when salaries were a lot closer. I can't recall any other longterm NFL starters who came to the CFL in the past few decades. Maybe I'm forgetting someone?

New Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    ^ Tommy Kane?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    hmm..maybe Chris Shultz...3 seasons with the cowboys...then a bunch with the Argo's....before that Maybe Jimmy Young who was traded by the Vikings for Joe Kapp....

interesting question....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    But did Schultz start regularly in Dallas? I don't think he was a starter for most of his time down there, in contrast to Kazcur. I think Jim Mills may also have started a bit in the NFL before coming to Canada, but not for several seasons.

Kane was a first-stringer in the NFL for quite a while -- I had forgotten about him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    But did Schultz start regularly in Dallas? I don't think he was a starter for most of his time down there, in contrast to Kazcur. I think Jim Mills may also have started a bit in the NFL before coming to Canada, but not for several seasons.

Kane was a first-stringer in the NFL for quite a while -- I had forgotten about him.
    IIRC, Kane donated his Argo salary to charity. Unfortunately his life took a very dark turn a few years ago but that is a whole other story.

Unless a player is healthy enough and still has a great love for the game, the incentive isn't strong to make a move to the CFL after several years of starting and drawing the commensurate salary in the NFL.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Schad came back to the CFL/Ottawa Rough Riders in 95 or so Paul; and while NFL salaries (including minimum) may not have been as high as today, they were still by then wayyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than CFL pay-days, and also those were CFL is teetering on the brink type days too, so CFL pay-cheques were not on average that great. Schad would be one of the few examples of Canadian guys who played and started for awhile in the NFL, coming back to play in the CFL. Maybe he loved the game, liked playing close to home, wanted the pay-cheque - coulda been a combo of those factors.

I wonder if even if the likes of Kaczur, Federkeil if healthy enough would have had interest in showing up in the CFL to play for the Argos... or Tim Biakabatuka or Clifton Dawson, or maybe Cory Greenwood down the road?

The days of NFL to CFL salaries = "a lot closer" - more like the 70s maybe into the early 80s - Argos signed the likes of Terry Metcalf and Bruce Clark.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-26-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It was the NFL reaction to the USFL, and the drop-off in the CFL TV contract from '86 to '87 where the gap in salaries really took off.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    According to the wiki article on Reinders he will be attending the NY Giants training camp again in 2012. Those wiki articles can be unreliable though but I just thought I'd post the update on him. I don't know why they'd have him back if he wasn't even on their practice roster last year and they already have seen him and didn't think enough of him to add him to their practice roster.

He was on the New York Giants roster for training camp in 2011, and will be returning for 2012.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Reinders

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argonauter View Post
    According to the wiki article on Reinders he will be attending the NY Giants training camp again in 2012. Those wiki articles can be unreliable though but I just thought I'd post the update on him. I don't know why they'd have him back if he wasn't even on their practice roster last year and they already have seen him and didn't think enough of him to add him to their practice roster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Reinders
    Reinders had a workout for the Giants in 2011 but was never in their training camp. I don't recall Reinders ever being on Cleveland's practice roster either as his wiki indicates. It sounds like the person who wrote this has a vivid imagination.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 02-26-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Reinders had a workout for the Giants in 2011 but was never in their training camp. I don't recall Reinders ever being on Cleveland's practice roster either as his wiki indicates. It sounds like the person who wrote this has a vivid imagination.
    Thanks for clearing that up Ravi. I don't know when this guy is going to grow up with a professional attitude and realize that the NFL is an elusive dream at best. He needs to come into Argos training camp and compete for a spot here to get his pro career going.

Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    According to my secret source that no one knows about. Reinders has signed a PR deal with the NY Giants.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Also according to David Naylors twitter . ( http://twitter.com/#!/TSNDaveNaylor )
    It will be very interesting to see how far he can make it on their roster. If he actually makes it onto the lineup, even dressing as a backup, it will be hats off to him for the hard work. He had very limited playing time in his CIS career and before. I believe he played basketball for the most part. Mind you, each team he works with teaches him more of the system.
    Otherwise, ..... does the money he earns with these various tryouts and limited practice roster placements out weigh what he may receive from a CFL team? and then would a CFL team put the effort into training him?

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Screw him and the horse he rode in on. Waste of a draft pick.

Argofan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Level
    he's a 4th round draft pick. how many 4th rounders aren't on the team anymore or never made it in the first place

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    A 4th round CFL pick should still be a quality player. We don't actually have huge numbers drafted every year.

Argofan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Level
    thats true and i'm not saying i don't want him to come play for us but if your argument is that he's not a quality player, look at who he just signed with. pretty sure they know what they're getting themselves into. all i'm saying is i think barker made a good call drafting him so low because if he happens to stick with an nfl team or gives up football altogether then its no skin off our back cause "wasting" a 4th round draft pick is not likely going to make or break our season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    A 4th round CFL pick should still be a quality player. We don't actually have huge numbers drafted every year.
    As far as I know, only one guy chosen in the fourth round of the 2010 draft (Akeem Foster) is a regular in the CFL -- he was chosen one pick before Reinders so no can accuse the Argos of wasting the pick instead of taking Foster. Fifth round: two guys are regulars on special teams (Cauchy Muamba and Justin Palardy). Sixth round: none. So unless some guys develop late, that draft was essentially done by the third round.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Screw him and the horse he rode in on. Waste of a draft pick.
    Agreed.
    When he comes back, ignore him.