Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    But who knows, maybe Stamps will re-sign Arbuckle, and trade BLM to us.
    Can't see that happening, especially after BLM reportedly took less money to stay in Calgary rather than accept the Argos offer last year. The Stamps just don't operate that way.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Can't see that happening, especially after BLM reportedly took less money to stay in Calgary rather than accept the Argos offer last year. The Stamps just don't operate that way.
    I basically agree, altho it's fair to note that Hufnagel has not been reluctant to let players go to replenish his lineup, and the Stamps generally don't like developing talent for other teams. If they really don't want to lose Arbuckle, this could happen (to replicate what happened in 1995-96 with Flutie and Garcia, altho there were contractual reasons then to part ways with Flutie). But yeah, it's extremely unlikely.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    You can cross Worthy's name off the free agent list. He's an Argo for the next three years and that's good news to this intrepid reporter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    If MBT is back as a starter I think it will be time for me to move on as a ST holder, and before the door hits me on the way out. It's been a good run.
    Still boggles my mind that some actually want him back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Still boggles my mind that some actually want him back.
    We must insist that 2019 was a learning lesson. We haven't learned much if we want MBT back as a starting QB. And then price becomes the issue & the decision will be between MBT and Dakata Prucop. I think Prucop wins this discussion, moving forward, with Zac Collaros as the #1 guy
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    We must insist that 2019 was a learning lesson. We haven't learned much if we want MBT back as a starting QB. And then price becomes the issue & the decision will be between MBT and Dakata Prucop. I think Prucop wins this discussion, moving forward, with Zac Collaros as the #1 guy
    I think Zach Collaros as #1 would be the move the team wants, and agree, if ZC is signed, you can't bring back MBT. I would have no issue with MBT starting if ZC doesn't return, but agree Prukop needs to know he has moved up in the pecking order, or he will likely not come back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Again, unless the team is certain of getting Collaros, assuming he will come back represents a big risk. We apparently put all our hopes last year on getting BLM, and we didn't end up getting him. As I've said before, I do not want to start free agency with one QB (O'Connor) under contract, and I also wouldn't want to hit Feb. 15 with just O'Connor and Prukop under contract since neither has shown he's ready to start yet. And of course, Collaros has a pretty serious history of concussions so it would be risky to go with him plus two future-type guys. I'd like him back, for many reasons, but those two risks (not getting him, and/or getting him but having no other viable starter) are why I have advocated signing MBT in the two months where we have the exclusive opportunity to do so. I understand I like MBT more than some fans do; I also like having a proven starter signed at all times, and I dislike the uncertainty of hoping we can obtain one via free agency. We tried the latter last year, and saw what happens when even giant money isn't enough to get a guy to move.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Again, unless the team is certain of getting Collaros, assuming he will come back represents a big risk. We apparently put all our hopes last year on getting BLM, and we didn't end up getting him. As I've said before, I do not want to start free agency with one QB (O'Connor) under contract, and I also wouldn't want to hit Feb. 15 with just O'Connor and Prukop under contract since neither has shown he's ready to start yet. And of course, Collaros has a pretty serious history of concussions so it would be risky to go with him plus two future-type guys. I'd like him back, for many reasons, but those two risks (not getting him, and/or getting him but having no other viable starter) are why I have advocated signing MBT in the two months where we have the exclusive opportunity to do so. I understand I like MBT more than some fans do; I also like having a proven starter signed at all times, and I dislike the uncertainty of hoping we can obtain one via free agency. We tried the latter last year, and saw what happens when even giant money isn't enough to get a guy to move.
    I get what you are saying Paul, but I'm sure MBT has heard all the rumours of the Argos wanting Collaros back. Why would he want to sign now knowing it's a possibility? I think he will will likely see what the market brings unless the Argos were to give him a contract in the 400k + range with a decent (100k) signing bonus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think Zach Collaros as #1 would be the move the team wants, and agree, if ZC is signed, you can't bring back MBT. I would have no issue with MBT starting if ZC doesn't return, but agree Prukop needs to know he has moved up in the pecking order, or he will likely not come back.
    Naylor seems to believe that if it's solely up to Zach, he'll return to the double blue. Obviously not that simple, as the team has to want him as well, and Popp (who wanted to keep him) is gone.

As I stated previously, not only would I have zero issue with it, but I'd love to see Collaros, Prukop, and O'Connor as the Argos QB's next season.
    Last edited by R.J; 12-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Naylor seems to believe that if it's solely up to Zach, he'll return to the double blue. Obviously not that simple, as the team has to want him as well, and Popp (who wanted to keep him) is gone.

As I stated previously, not only would I have zero issue with it, but I'd love to see Collaros, Prukop, and O'Connor as the Argos QB's next season.
    That is my no 1 choice too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    That is my no 1 choice too.
    I'm a me too on that.

I also don't think MBT will sign before free agency just to see what out there for him. Ottawa might be desperate enough to give him more than the Argos offer, which will probably be a basic salary with incentives.

Does Winnipeg play it safe and re-sign the two guys that want to be there, Nichols and Streveler?

Masoli is a question mark as we're hearing he may not be ready much before labour day. That may put him back with Hamilton on the 6 game to start the season, and would lessen the cap hit.

That would leave Ottawa and the Argos to see who could land Arbuckle or Collaros with MBT being the fall back. But Montreal, Saskatchewan and Edmonton and maybe BC all need a good back QB. Should be some options for MBT and Prukop there as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Masoli is a question mark as we're hearing he may not be ready much before labour day. That may put him back with Hamilton on the 6 game to start the season, and would lessen the cap hit.
    I can't remember which article it was, but I read today that it's liking like Masoli is on pace to be ready for TC. Maybe wishful thinking, but I wouldn't count him out. SJ Green was older than him and returned much earlier than anticipated from his ACL injury in 2017--an injury that was thought might be career ending. No such claim was made on Masoli's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No thank you to Masoli, I think he's a good QB and all, but I'd much rather see Prukop and O'Connnor get their shots. As opposed to continuing with the Argo way of picking up someone else's QB, and keeping them around for a few years without developing a young QB to take over, then low and behold the franchise comes crashing down again.

And, a no thank you to Nick Arbuckle as well. Who in my opinion, looked pretty average in Calgary.
    Last edited by R.J; 12-03-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Bear Woods resigned through 2021

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts...deal-1.1408034

Hope he can stay healthy. Made a difference on D when he returned. Brings leadership which has been lacking as of late.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    No thank you to Masoli, I think he's a good QB and all, but I'd much rather see Prukop and O'Connnor get their shots. As opposed to continuing with the Argo way of picking up someone else's QB, and keeping them around for a few years without developing a young QB to take over, then low and behold the franchise comes crashing down again.

And, a no thank you to Nick Arbuckle as well. Who in my opinion, looked pretty average in Calgary.
    I agree with you on Arbuckle, I saw someone reference the Garcia/Flutie situation, but I think Calgary had a bit of a larger sample size to work off of with Garcia plus economics also dictated Doug coming to Toronto.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Bear Woods resigned through 2021

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts...deal-1.1408034

Hope he can stay healthy. Made a difference on D when he returned. Brings leadership which has been lacking as of late.
    I like this. I thought Bear was the best MLB on the team after he was brought back from what looked like a forced retirement. Antigha looked good there in the last couple of games but he is a FA and may sign else where. Awe is more of a outside LB guy IMO, or maybe a safety. It doesn't appear that players like Woods are expected to play 18 games as it sure appears that teams seem to plan for some players to spend time on the 6 game not counting against the cap. Young Canadians Herdman and Kwemo look good enough to rotate in at the MLB spot with Bear. With the NFL keeping so many players around now and the XFL taking players off the street as well, I think it is smart for CFL to sign some these proven players like Bear Woods.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I agree with you on Arbuckle, I saw someone reference the Garcia/Flutie situation, but I think Calgary had a bit of a larger sample size to work off of with Garcia plus economics also dictated Doug coming to Toronto.
    There's no doubt there were other factors at play for Flutie leaving Calgary, the chief among them being that he had not been paid by Larry Ryckman in 1995. And yes, Garcia threw a lot more passes (364) in 1995 than Arbuckle did this year (238). I was not suggesting the situations were terribly similar, but one similarity is an established and expensive veteran vs. a young and cheaper guy with considerable potential. If Arbuckle signs elsewhere, will Hufnagel get as ragged on by Stamps fans as Barker was by (some) Argos fans for keeping Ray over Collaros and Harris?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Here is the list of pending Argo free agents. Which ones should the team keep?

https://www.cfl.ca/fa20/#ARGOS
    So far it looks like Murphy has started at the bottom of the list and working his way up. Worthy, Woods..... But I'm sure that's just a coincidence. The big money will have to go to Laing and McEwen. But McEwen may want to go home Calgary. A good raise for Campbell at RT if he is considered a starter. Mincy and Richardson at the corners should be re-signed for whatever the going rate is for experienced cornerbacks. Llevi Noel is a valuable player IMO as a National who is excellent on ST's and can also play receiver quite well. With the minimum going up to $65,000 I'm sure that will be a raise for some of the lesser lights on the team. Some of the older vets may be let go to the FA date to see what their market value is now. I was thinking older players like Gabriel, Holmes, SJ Green, Bomben, MBT. Derel Walker is a game breaker who IMO wasn't used properly who with the right QB and OC could still be dynamite on offense. That QB situation is still up in the air for us outsiders for sure. I would be ok with re-signing Prukop for his S/Teams and a back up QB. Maybe they could be able to dress both Prukop and O'Conner that way. Just getting it right for the number 1 guy is the big question. Arbuckle has the most upside of the young FA's if Masoli and/or Collaros aren't available. A QB who can use his legs to avoid the pass rush should be a priority. Arbuckle, Masoli and Collaros all have that ability. I'm not forgetting Nathan Rouke but that story will have to wait for the end of May.
    Until Mike O'Shea re-signs with Winnipeg I am believing he comes to Toronto with Collaros in tow and maybe his whiskers trimmed a little. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Wondering about the new CFL rule to do with QBs on the roster - is it that all teams will be forced to only be able to dress 2 QBs, or is it a team option ?

Forcing teams to only be able to dress 2 QBs is as dumb as it gets IMO - and would be another bonehead move under the Ambrosie watch; the Als had a game a couple of years back (1st game of the season) where the first 2 QBs got injured and the Als were forced to play their 3rd stringer (Bridge); not that this is going to happen often - very rare perhaps - but if 2 QBs go down - then what? - forced to play some sort of option / wildcat offence with a RB - horrible and embarassing situtation IMO - no need to ever go there, unless a team is dumb enough to roll the dice = should be a choice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Wondering about the new CFL rule to do with QBs on the roster - is it that all teams will be forced to only be able to dress 2 QBs, or is it a team option ?

Forcing teams to only be able to dress 2 QBs is as dumb as it gets IMO - and would be another bonehead move under the Ambrosie watch; the Als had a game a couple of years back (1st game of the season) where the first 2 QBs got injured and the Als were forced to play their 3rd stringer (Bridge); not that this is going to happen often - very rare perhaps - but if 2 QBs go down - then what? - forced to play some sort of option / wildcat offence with a RB - horrible and embarassing situtation IMO - no need to ever go there, unless a team is dumb enough to roll the dice = should be a choice.
    My understanding is things will change from 20 American, 21 Canadians + 3 QB's + 1 Global = 45 to 20 Americans, 21 Canadians + 2 QB's + 2 Globals + 45
    Maybe someone can clarify this if I'm wrong.
    I would like to see 22 Americans, 22 Canadians + 2 Global = 46 and let the Coaches decide how many QB's they want on the roster for any given day.