Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    If you don't like the AUS, then just skip the play-off game they are in and watch the other games. I'd love to see all competitive games but weak teams happen in football - take a look at the 9 team CFL this season with 2 brutal/dumpster fire teams - how many $hite games with them did i get to watch this year - but i still watch all the games. Why do guys like you constantly find ways to cut-down Canadian football? Were you whining and crying when St. Mary's pummeled all the other conferences in Vaniers in the past ?
    Refresh my memory. When did St Mary’s beat another conference champion by 50+ points and lead 51-3 at half time? Like I said, the top players from Ontario stopped going out east to play their University ball. I don’t crap on Canadian football. I love it. I go out aJF watch York or UofT at least once a year. I’m just more honest about it than you care to be. It’s been a problem for years. Too many teams have no chance before the game even starts.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Refresh my memory. When did St Mary’s beat another conference champion by 50+ points and lead 51-3 at half time? Like I said, the top players from Ontario stopped going out east to play their University ball. I don’t crap on Canadian football. I love it. I go out aJF watch York or UofT at least once a year. I’m just more honest about it than you care to be. It’s been a problem for years. Too many teams have no chance before the game even starts.
    Yeah - I know you love Canadian football.

Wonder what you'd say though if I opined that both the RedBlacks & EE franchises got suspended for next season; till they prove they can put together competitive football teams, rather than the $hite they put out this season, and not produce embarassing CFL games ? The CFL would be better off , for a year anyways, with just 7 teams and more competitive games? Same sort of thing you're suggesting IMO.

And BTW Saint Mary's slaughtered the Manitoba Bisons, by 30 points or so (40 something to 16 ?), in one of their powerhouse team Vanier wins; and that was a National Title game, not a semi-final. Should CanWest have been given a year off to get their act together back then ? And you should check some AUS rosters before you believe they can't attract some good players from other parts of the country. FX has several guys from the Calgary area including their all-star rookie QB; and the Atlantic provinces can still produce their own good football talent - like that rookie all-star tailback Bussey (they should have used him way more earlier today before the game got out of hand); or their all-star OT McKellar (recruited at Div I Rice before he returned home to play at FX) who will be CFL drafted next.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    It does seem a bit unfair that OUA teams only have a 1 in 11 shot at a bowl game, while AUS and RSEQ teams have a 1 in 5 shot.
    I have to agree especially when ST FX was 7-0 facing obviously weak opposition but then goes down 61-6 against Western.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Anyhow, time for Saskatchewan at Montreal. This one should be much more competetive.
    It was; an outstanding down to the wire game with the Huskies scoring a last second TD on a great run by their all-star tailback Adam Machart (who the Argo scouts should be looking at to draft perhaps); Argo draft pick Sam Baker made some nice grabs to help the Huskies get the win.

Montreal coulda/shoulda won though IMO; blew numerous scoring chances.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It was; an outstanding down to the wire game with the Huskies scoring a last second TD on a great run by their all-star tailback Adam Machart (who the Argo scouts should be looking at to draft perhaps); Argo draft pick Sam Baker made some nice grabs to help the Huskies get the win.

Montreal coulda/shoulda won though IMO; blew numerous scoring chances.
    I agree. It seemed like Montreal had carried the play for the most part, but just couldn't finish.

I'm looking forward to the battle of run games in the Vanier, though. Machart shows incredible will to just keep gaining yards, but Western has three backs who are all highly capable. Which team's O-line will dominate? That should determine who wins.

I saw Football Canada post this image about former national team members (including Machart) playing in last weekend's games:
    nationalteam (1).jpg
    Last edited by Mocha; 11-29-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    If you don't like the AUS, then just skip the play-off game they are in and watch the other games. I'd love to see all competitive games but weak teams happen in football - take a look at the 9 team CFL this season with 2 brutal/dumpster fire teams - how many $hite games with them did i get to watch this year - but i still watch all the games. Why do guys like you constantly find ways to cut-down Canadian football? Were you whining and crying when St. Mary's pummeled all the other conferences in Vaniers in the past ?
    The difference is CFL teams usually clean house after a bad year and can turn it around in as little as one year with the right hire. AUS champions have not been competitive outside their league for years. It's a worrying trend.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the possibility of separating U-Sports football into two tiers. In the late 70s/early 80s, NCAA football went from two divisions to four. It was obvious by then that the Ivy League, where American football was born, could no longer compete with schools like Michigan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The difference is CFL teams usually clean house after a bad year and can turn it around in as little as one year with the right hire. AUS champions have not been competitive outside their league for years. It's a worrying trend.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the possibility of separating U-Sports football into two tiers. In the late 70s/early 80s, NCAA football went from two divisions to four. It was obvious by then that the Ivy League, where American football was born, could no longer compete with schools like Michigan.

Alabama beat NM State this season, 59 to 3.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Alabama beat NM State this season, 59 to 3.
    Okay, but that wasn't anything close to a playoff game, and Alabama was favoured by 50. Those two schools are at opposite ends of the FBS food chain. NMS has only been to one bowl game in the last two decades in an era where six wins pretty much guarantees you a bowl game. NMS schedules Alabama and schools like that as a so-called "money game" to help fund its athletic program. If FBS ever splits, Alabama and NMS will be in different divisions.

AUS schools have been outscored 243-9 in the last four playoff games. That doesn't help showcase Canadian football, especially considering how little U-Sports does to promote the sport. US college football doesn't lack for internal promotion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Would an 8-team playoff field help avoid such mismatches in the Mitchell and Uteck Bowls?

Gord Randall and Mike Hogan seem to thnk it could help:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Doesn’t look like a great crowd at the Vanier today. Not surprising with no Quebec representation. They need to combine the game with the Grey Cup going forward, or have one of teams in the game play it in their own stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Doesn’t look like a great crowd at the Vanier today. Not surprising with no Quebec representation. They need to combine the game with the Grey Cup going forward, or have one of teams in the game play it in their own stadium.
    I'd like to see the Vanier paired with the Grey Cup again. Maybe Laval will think twice about bidding for the game in the future (though I don't know how much they have to bid to get it).

But pretty good first half considering the frigid conditions. After the first drive, it looked like Western just might roll over the Huskies, but offense has had it tough from then on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Heard Quebec City will not be interested in hosting again for some time.

Game should go to Ottawa IMO - nice stadium and I believe they would get a good crowd regardless of who is playing; don't think Ottawa has ever hosted a Vanier, so long overdue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quite a win by the Mustangs in a close fought game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Game should go to Ottawa IMO - nice stadium and I believe they would get a good crowd regardless of who is playing; don't think Ottawa has ever hosted a Vanier, so long overdue.
    I like that idea. I'd buy a ticket.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Quite a win by the Mustangs in a close fought game.
    Yeah, I enjoyed that game quite a bit.

I'll beat the drum for the Northern 8 idea again. I think it'd be awesome to be able to see more matches of the top teams throughout the fall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I like that idea. I'd buy a ticket.
    Me too - for sure !

Bit of a disappointing crowd for Quebec (considering they have had 20K type crowds for big games there before), but no Q team and freezing cold did not help.

I'd be very interested to see what type of crowd would turn out for a Vanier in Ottawa - even if close by teams were not in the game. - I'd wager they could get well over 8K, if it wasn't a cold, rain or snow forecast.

But pairing the Vanier with a GC weekend guarantees a much larger crowd - and they should do this every 2 or 3 years IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Decent first half before Western proved their dominance. But the field conditions were terrible. Are tarps not a thing anymore?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Decent first half before Western proved their dominance. But the field conditions were terrible. Are tarps not a thing anymore?

The field was way worse - more icy and slippery - at that one GC in Edmonton (Als vs. EE i think).

I asked that question about tarps on another forum: why could the field - that is not being used otherwise - not be tarped all week before the big game, and then remove the tarps and blast propane heaters all over the place, the night before or morning of the big game ? Maybe that would not work / is not feasable - I don't really know, but maybe somebody could explain why it is not tried.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

I’d be good with Ottawa. Get it out of Quebec City. They only support their own there. No Laval, no local support.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tre Forde becomes the first Black QB to win the Hec Crighton trophy as top player in Canadian college ball with his his dual run-pass threat.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/02/w...sity-football/