Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Many More Injuries Today - Why?

As I see several more injuries this week to the Argos - and this seems to be the case every week - it has me thinking as to why there are seemingly many more injuries today than there used to be.

I was looking at the 1978 and 1979 Edmonton rosters. They used a grand total of 38 players in 1978 and 37 in 1979. It's incredible how few man-games were lost to injury back then. Today, it feels like guys get injured routinely in practice and there are few padded practices today compared to the 1970s. I guess that players often played back then when they shouldn't have with ailments like concussions but, even taking that into account, there are far, far more injuries today than there were back then, even with the expanded rosters of today. Any explanation for this?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    As I see several more injuries this week to the Argos - and this seems to be the case every week - it has me thinking as to why there are seemingly many more injuries today than there used to be.

I was looking at the 1978 and 1979 Edmonton rosters. They used a grand total of 38 players in 1978 and 37 in 1979. It's incredible how few man-games were lost to injury back then. Today, it feels like guys get injured routinely in practice and there are few padded practices today compared to the 1970s. I guess that players often played back then when they shouldn't have with ailments like concussions but, even taking that into account, there are far, far more injuries today than there were back then, even with the expanded rosters of today. Any explanation for this?
    Good question - don't have an explanation. Players nowdays have the advantage of more & better training, diet, supplements, etc.

O-linemen is one position group where guys are way heavier than in the past, DTs maybe too, but after that, some positions are smaller (like lightweight S-OLBs compared to traditional OLBs) and little use of big tight ends or fullbacks anymore.

Having so many extra ST guys who play mostly just there has not seemed to have helped; a guy like Mike O'Shea was a leader of the Argo D and often their top ST tackler as well.

??? - but I also believe CFL teams get away with too much IR list stashing of guys with just little nicks or just to try a new player; tough it out and play was the old school way ?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Injuries happen in football. You have big guys colliding with little guys. Not to mention, you have guys planting and pivoting their feet at every position, which can lead to ligament tears.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

I would think more caution is exercised now than in the 80s when there were much smaller rosters. How the Argos came to having so many injured after 2 pre season games, then having a bye week is a little baffling. How much contact are there in practises now…aside from accidental contact of course.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I would think more caution is exercised now than in the 80s when there were much smaller rosters.
    I agree -- I bet playing through injuries happened all the time back then, because there were few backups available. Now there are lots of extra bodies and a greater emphasis on player safety.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It seems that the Argos have led the league in injuries for years now. Question is why?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Maybe they need to find somewhere else to practice other than Lamport Stadium?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree -- I bet playing through injuries happened all the time back then, because there were few backups available. Now there are lots of extra bodies and a greater emphasis on player safety.
    My thoughts exactly and I am sure many paid dearly for when their careers were over, and not just multiple concussions leading to major brain damage.