Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    3 Down Nation reports that the Argos have signed a young DE named Tyree Johnson out of Texas A@M University. No mention of Chad Kelly being traded to the Riders in this article.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Free agency approaching and getting a bit worried about Argo FA K. Gittens deciding to jump to his home-town RedBlacks (who could use receiver help IMO). RedBlacks making some nice moves with HC Dyce and his new staff: Masoil re-signed (hope he is fully recovered?); top DE L. Mauldin re-inked; and today they added former Bomber all-star O_lineman Drew Desjarlais, off a one year NFL PR tour. Gittens would be a real nice addition for them and they might be able to offer pretty big CFL buck$ ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Gittens to Ottawa is absolutely a distinct possibility. It would be terrible to lose a young star to his hometown, a repeat of the Sean McEwen situation. Kurleigh might not want to sign here without knowing who the starting QB will be.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    None of us here are privy to what is going on behind the scenes, but I have noted that the Argos have extended or re-signed 5/25 (20%) if their free agents. I've wondered for several weeks now whether they are waiting for MBT to decide. I hope they've given him a deadline on that front, but it is tight timing to the start of the "free agency window" or whatever the proper terminology is.

Kurleigh to Ottawa is something I've feared since last offseason. However, I doubt Desjarlais came cheaply and they also re-signed Behar earlier in the offseason (which means nothing). Also, Gittens by staying in Toronto gets:

1. A coach with a championship pedigree over a 1st year coach.
    2. He's been in Southern Ontario since his WLU days so who knows what roots he's put down here.
    3. Stick around w/ his WLU teammates Smith and Acheampong.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos announced the signing of yet another DB. Davin Hafford who spent 6 years at Tarlton State (almost as long as my HS tenure) and made his rounds with the USFL, NFL and most recently the XFL will join an already crowded group of DB prospects in search of employment with the Grey Cup Champion squad.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Gittens to Ottawa is absolutely a distinct possibility. It would be terrible to lose a young star to his hometown, a repeat of the Sean McEwen situation. Kurleigh might not want to sign here without knowing who the starting QB will be.
    RedBlacks just announced the re-signing of Canadian receiver Tevaughn Smith (some decent CFL experience after bouncing around NFL PRs for a few seasons - but so-far has not lived-up to a 1st round pick); they also have re-signed Nate Behar who had a good season as a starter last year; and still have local guy draft pick Keaton Bruggeling (Ravens) who played a bit last season and maybe still un-signed speedster Shaq Johnson; SO - maybe they are fairly set for Canadian receivers; unless Dyce would entertain starting 2 or even 3? - doubtful, but you never know. Hoping they pass on making a run at Gittens, who should command pretty decent CFL buck$ now.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-01-2023 at 10:36 PM.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    RedBlacks just announced the re-signing of Canadian receiver Tevaughn Smith (some decent CFL experience after bouncing around NFL PRs for a few seasons - but so-far has not lived-up to a 1st round pick); they also have re-signed Nate Behar who had a good season as a starter last year; and still have local guy draft pick Keaton Bruggeling (Ravens) who played a bit last season and maybe still un-signed speedster Shaq Johnson; SO - maybe they are fairly set for Canadian receivers; unless Dyce would entertain starting 2 or even 3? - doubtful, but you never know. Hoping they pass on making a run at Gittens, who should command pretty decent CFL buck$ now.
    Plus Ottawa spent like drunken sailors last year and it blew up in their faces. Granted we don't know what might have been if Masoli stayed healthy, but maybe it turns them off from being aggressive? I've noted they've brought back many of their FAs.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Plus Ottawa spent like drunken sailors last year and it blew up in their faces. Granted we don't know what might have been if Masoli stayed healthy, but maybe it turns them off from being aggressive? I've noted they've brought back many of their FAs.
    Masoli restructured his contract last week for a larger signing bonus and less salary over the next 2 years. If he stays healthy this year Ottawa will be in the mix with Toronto and Hamilton. Montreal will take huge step backward if they lose Trevor Harris and Geno Lewis to Saskatchewan.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ottawa has re-signed/extended a greater percentage of their pending free agents than any other team. They must be really banking on the premise that Masoli's injury caused their season to derail (which I won't necessarily argue). Could it be a hint that they won't be as active in free agency this year? I also think we're trying to rationalize not losing Gittens right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ott signing Smith makes me more optimistic we will get Gittens back. He's a big-ticket player now so not affordable to everyone, which might work in our favour.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Ottawa has re-signed/extended a greater percentage of their pending free agents than any other team. They must be really banking on the premise that Masoli's injury caused their season to derail (which I won't necessarily argue). Could it be a hint that they won't be as active in free agency this year? I also think we're trying to rationalize not losing Gittens right now.
    Ottawa before Masoli went down played Winnipeg and BC close. Coaching was their problem. They have some good core pieces. With Khari Jones and Baron Miles coaching you may see some Montreal free agents make a run for the provincial border.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Ottawa before Masoli went down played Winnipeg and BC close. Coaching was their problem. They have some good core pieces. With Khari Jones and Baron Miles coaching you may see some Montreal free agents make a run for the provincial border.
    They did play both those teams close, but IIRC, the 2 Bombers games were llow scoring games. The BC game was higher scoring, but he did not play well in that game. Although I believe Ottawa would have been better had he not gone down, I don’t think it would have been much better.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Not sure there is that much Ottawa would covet from the Als FA list? They do need help at RB so maybe Walter Fletcher; E. Lewis sounds like he is expecting way too much ca$h; Weinke is a good one, IMO, but the RedBlacks might think they are pretty good at receiver - Acklin + that ex Atlanta Falcon Justin Hardy (5 seasons of playing time there) was pretty impressive late in the season and they have some other vet import receivers (if they end up starting Darvin Adams again i'll think they are on the wrong track) + they have some decent Canadian talent at receiver.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    They did play both those teams close, but IIRC, the 2 Bombers games were llow scoring games. The BC game was higher scoring, but he did not play well in that game. Although I believe Ottawa would have been better had he not gone down, I don’t think it would have been much better.
    I agree, AV. Ottawa was 0-4 with Masoli and the last game he played in Saskatchewan was a poor one for both him and the RedBlacks. Maybe they would have gone 6-12 - and won a home game or two - had Masoli stayed healthy for the entire season but they were a long way from being a contender regardless.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    D. Daniels and Ouellette - hoping they are next on the list to get re-signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    D. Daniels and Ouellette - hoping they are next on the list to get re-signed.
    I would like to see both of them back also.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would like to see both of them back also.
    One down / one to go

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos not making any big splash noises so far in the FA tampering period to suggest they are going after some big name FAs - like a bunch of other teams are doing = good! A lot of these desperate GMs are likely over-paying big time for some decent to average or even good talent IMO.

Not sure who the Argos would target amongst known FAs to try for upgrades ? A receiver maybe if Rogers & Brescacin are unlikely in the picture anymore? Big NO to paying Geno Lewis huge buck$. A top DE talent, or are J. Davis and Shane Ray likely to return? And thank gawd mediocre or stiff QBs like Schlitz and Dom Davis are headed elsewhere.

Not against adding some nice talent via free agency, but not worth paying big buck$ for most of them. The GC Champs will build on their current roster, retain good players and let some existing guys step-up or recruit or draft some good new talent on their own. Of course QB is still a big concern, if MBT does not return, but Kelly might be up to the challenge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    This is the first I have heard of the trade, OV, so thanks for the update. Regarding what other teams are doing, it has been interesting to see some of the salaries being handed out, especially for import receivers. I like Kenny Lawler but I didn't think he was worth the money he received in 2022 from Edmonton and the price tag still seems awfully high for the Blue Bombers in 2023. If you are paying a receiver that much, I would expect at least 1500 yards of receiving from that individual.

I like Matthew Shiltz so I think the Ticats have retained a solid backup QB there. Dom Davis is excellent at short-yardage but he has been in the league since at least 2015 and I just haven't seen the progress from him that one would hope to see. You would have to think that Antonio Pipkin and Michael O'Connor are both done in B.C. I wouldn't mind seeing the Argos grab O'Connor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Another good signing by the World Champions.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/09/t...rin-orimolade/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions