Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

RedBlacks and Als set to play in Quebec City

The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League announced today that its 2015 home pre-season game against the visiting Montreal Alouettes will be played at Stade TELUS-Université Laval in Ste-Foy, Quebec, near Quebec City. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 13.
    Tickets for the game will be available Thursday, March 5th at 1:30 pm by visiting Reservatech.net or calling 418 656-3668. Tickets will be sold on a first come, first served basis. ...

"We're playing our pre-season home game at a neutral site to accommodate the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup," said Jeff Hunt, President of Sports with the Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group, operators of the REDBLACKS, Ottawa Fury FC (North American Soccer League) and Ottawa 67's (Ontario Hockey League). TD Place is one of the host sites of the FIFA tournament in June. ...

This will mark the second time a CFL team from Ottawa has played a pre-season game in Quebec City. The Ottawa Renegades played the Alouettes in front of over 10,000 fans at Stade PEPS (now Stade TELUS-Université Laval) on June 7, 2003. The Alouettes beat the Renegades 54-23.
    http://www.cfl.ca/article/redblacks-and-als-set-to-play-in-quebec-city

I
    'd love to see Quebec City in the league. Quebecois interest in the CFL has grown so much. Of course, I know that is unlikely to happen without a good-sized stadium. However, I still think it's good for the league to build interest.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    That would be a great game to watch in a beautiful city with beautiful women!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Would definitely be nice, and I believe it would really help the Als to have an added rival. Having said that, I hope the league adds a 10th team, be it in QC or the east coast, but I really hope they don't go to 11. Once you're at 10, you need to keep an even number of teams in the league. Scheduling an 11 team league can be a nightmare.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I wouldn't count a new CFL stadium in Quebec City after building a new NHL arena for...well...nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    I wouldn't count a new CFL stadium in Quebec City after building a new NHL arena for...well...nothing.
    I see what you are saying, but many thought that the new arena in Winnipeg was for nothing too....and they also built a stadium.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    What about Saskatoon down the road for a football stadium?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Screw Saskatchewan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Too small of a market for two teams. Plus Saskatoon belongs to the Rider fan base.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Oh ya, forgot to add ... WAY BETTER THAN THE OIL PATCH!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quebec is a football hotbed now - the Q conference of the CIS has expanded and produced some strong teams - and some outstanding players who have gone on to the pros (CFL & NFL); the Laval Rouge & Or are an all-time powerhouse CIS program and the Carabins have emerged now to win a Vanier too. And their is rabid fan support for the Rouge & Or in beautiful Quebec City = sure would seem like a good fit for a CFL team - a strong rival for the Montreal Als; and if the CFL could do one thing to better itself, IMO it would be getting a 10 team.

However - have heard from some veteran CIS/Laval fans who say they are not so sure there would be such great support for a CFL team in Quebec City - and the thinking seems to be that they support local football greatly but might not be inclined to support a CFL team run by mostly Americans and featuring a roster of more than 50% American players - which is the way of today's CFL.

IMO a 10th team would be better to set-up in Atlantic Canada - give the CFL a true coast to coast feel and this would be the big pro team for an entire region. Halifax would make most sense, but an idea might be to have Moncton in the picture to host maybe a couple of games a season - call the team the Atlantic or Maratime whatevers and try to market the hell out of the entire region.

Of course - a proper, modern stadium would be required (at least for the main host city; Moncton was made-up to host CFL games before, so it could be done for 2 games a year or so). i believe there has been some talk in Halifax (or somewhere in the region) before about interest in a CFL franchise ? Too bad there are no multi millionaire football fan types in those parts, I guess, who could lead the charge to build a decent stadium and get a CFL team ? - should have been done years, if not decades ago IMO, but the CFL has missed the boat on so many things that could have made it stronger over the years. The CFL should have had a leader/commish who was pushing a 10th team concept - all the time and to the limit - but CFL and leadership maybe don\t go together. Seems kinda ridiculous to believe Ottawa could be re-born with a re-built stadium or that Winnipeg got a new stadium, Regina is getting a new one ... but it is impossible to put together an ownership group and new stadium for a 10th team ???

And if Atlantic Canada shows no interest or $$$s for the idea, I would hope Quebec would try; i just feel Atlantic Canada makes more sense for a 10 th CFL team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    However - have heard from some veteran CIS/Laval fans who say they are not so sure there would be such great support for a CFL team in Quebec City - and the thinking seems to be that they support local football greatly but might not be inclined to support a CFL team run by mostly Americans and featuring a roster of more than 50% American players - which is the way of today's CFL.
    So here's a question. Would an entirely Canadian CFL be better supported in Toronto? That's a thought I've pondered for a few years now and it's obviously purely hypothetical.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    So here's a question. Would an entirely Canadian CFL be better supported in Toronto? That's a thought I've pondered for a few years now and it's obviously purely hypothetical.

IMO - NO; a problem or symptom of wannabe-ness is that it frowns upon or will not support anything that is not hyped as the greatest or coolest thing in entertainment or sports. Doesn't matter what the make-up of the CFL is when it is shown little to no respect from a lot of the media in it's own country and is perceived by joe average as 2nd class or inferior to all-american or "world class" stuff.

Football in Canada suffers from an image problem in a lot of places - this would not be fixed by having mostly or all Canadian run and play for CFL teams; CIS football does not do so well in terms of popular support - except for in Quebec City maybe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Your answer reminds me of my hitchhiking out of Quebec City and being picked up by a Newfie many years ago. He told me I was lucky to get a ride as he had given a ride to an American on the other side of the city and had no plans to pick anyone else up. The driver had told the American that he should visit Quebec City. The American said he had no interest in Quebec City and was heading for Toronto. However, the Newfie said he would drive him through the old town so he could see what a unique place the city was with all its heritage. As he drove slowly through the narrow, winding streets of the old city, the American looked out the car window; he saw all the fine-looking women, who, when he smiled at them, smiled back, as French Canadian women often do. He then announced he would like to be dropped off immediately.

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    maybe if Quebec City could bring the capacity of Stade TELUS to 20k they could play one of their games in montreal at Olympic Stadium (e.g., labour day). If they had a sellout that would bring the average to 25k.

New Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Plus Saskatoon belongs to the Rider fan base.
    My efforts to turn it into Argo country notwithstanding.