Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mint83 View Post
    Does TSN 1050 even know there is a game on this Friday? This is a tired subject but it makes a turnaround of the franchise difficult without some media discussing the product. The CFL is TSN's best property and they treat it like crap in Toronto. Naylor talks about how he built his career on the CFL and he gives it minimal exposure on his show. Such a hypocrite.
    I here commercials all day long promoting the game on the station. Hogie had an a good segment with Logan Kilgore filling in for Richards today as well. They are also promoting that both the 1-4 and 4-7 shows will be broadcast live from BMO field on Friday. Could there be more? Of course there can, but it's considerably more than you are suggesting.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Isn't Torstar in a worse financial position than Postmedia?
    no Postmedia is going the a debt restructuring right now, where the debt holders are taking control of the company

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Does TSN 1050 even know there is a game on this Friday?
    There's a game this Friday?
    What?!

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I here commercials all day long promoting the game on the station. Hogie had an a good segment with Logan Kilgore filling in for Richards today as well. They are also promoting that both the 1-4 and 4-7 shows will be broadcast live from BMO field on Friday. Could there be more? Of course there can, but it's considerably more than you are suggesting.
    I never even thought of commercials. I only check out podcasts. Mainly what I think are the most popular shows; early morning and drive time.

Their shows at BMO are great but it would be better if there was more of a buzz before game day.
    Just one regular segment per week would be nice. Get an entertaining "insider" type. It might spark some interest in listeners who are not regular CFL followers. I'm with the camp who believe player interviews tend to be boring.

The FAN in Calgary has a segment with Arash Madani as the insider. I hate to say it but he actually does a pretty good job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    The latest available ratings apparently show Postmedia ahead of The Star in the city.
    If anyone goes hopefully the left leaning anti CFL/Argos Star will be first.
    If that's true, then that's the best news I've heard from this city in a long while. I concur with your opinion about the Star and would not shed a tear at all. It's good to see people may be waking up to all the BS that newspaper been spreading for years in all their departments including sports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks, it'll give me a good reason to tune in on Friday, but I don't listen to them regularly because they do a shite job covering not just the Argos, but the CFL in general. Hope they don't spend the whole time at BMO talking about Bautista's ankle. ....can't wait for that guy to leave town...he wants 30 million a year for a .225 avg at his age...friggin laughable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Star's Argo coverage has been better the last couple of years, so I think it's a little unfair to still say they're Anti Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The Star's Argo coverage has been better the last couple of years, so I think it's a little unfair to still say they're Anti Argos.
    That's beside the point. What matters is the opportunity to cheer for people to lose their jobs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That's beside the point. What matters is the opportunity to cheer for people to lose their jobs.
    Is that a serious statement, or supposedly a joke?
    Sad if it is the former.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I never even thought of commercials. I only check out podcasts. Mainly what I think are the most popular shows; early morning and drive time.

Their shows at BMO are great but it would be better if there was more of a buzz before game day.
    Just one regular segment per week would be nice. Get an entertaining "insider" type. It might spark some interest in listeners who are not regular CFL followers. I'm with the camp who believe player interviews tend to be boring.

The FAN in Calgary has a segment with Arash Madani as the insider. I hate to say it but he actually does a pretty good job.
    Don't disagree. I've always said that IMO a reasonable representation would be 1 Argo segment on every 3-4 hour show. At least during the season. Unfortunately, and Mike Richards has touched on this on air, people in this market fire up the complaints when there are too many CFL segments. A crying shame.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Sad if it is the former.
    Not wanting to speak for argolio, but I took it as a sarcastic shot to Gil The Thrill openly cheering about the lost jobs at the star. Once again proving that lower case gil is the only one to be taken seriously.

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I just opened the Star this am, Olympic coverage, Jays and TFC but zero Argo coverage

https://www.thestar.com/sports.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayahre View Post
    I just opened the Star this am, Olympic coverage, Jays and TFC but zero Argo coverage

Back when I started following the Argos in 1980, the Star had the likes of Wayne Parish, Rick Matsumoto, Trent Frayne and others who wrote numerous articles on the team. Seemed back then there was equal space for the Toronto sports teams. I would be surprised if we ever see that again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sad if it is the former.
    Pretty clear that it was a sarcastic joke.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

Exactly why I will not touch that paper or any of their online content. They are anti-CFL.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Pretty clear that it was a sarcastic joke.
    It would have been clear if a laughing emoji or something like it was attached to the statement.
    There wasn't - hence my question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Not wanting to speak for argolio, but I took it as a sarcastic shot to Gil The Thrill openly cheering about the lost jobs at the star. Once again proving that lower case gil is the only one to be taken seriously.
    Then maybe you shouldn't speak for him. Once again you've proven to be self-righteous enough to decide who should be taken seriously or not, as if you're a beacon of righteousness on this site.

If you want to cry for a-holes at the Toronto Star, go ahead, don't let me stop you, but I was sharing a comment with another poster that I agree with about the Star. If you and some of the other bleeding hearts want to cry about my sentiments, then cry away., I'll laugh.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It would be nice if each 1050 programming block had at least one 15 minute segment about the Argonauts.
    It would have been clear if a laughing emoji or something like it was attached to the statement.
    There wasn't - hence my question.
    I thought it was pretty clear. When you're around here long enough you get used to how certain posters are I guess.
    Last edited by R.J; 08-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Sad if it is the former.
    Come on, you surely have heard of sarcasm?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So much for improved coverage, but it's only the day before a game , how could you expect coverage, perhaps they'll have a generic preview of the game tomorrow from Canadian Press.

Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Exactly why I will not touch that paper or any of their online content. They are anti-CFL.
    Amen to that, I will look at their online content the odd time, but only on private browser so I don't get any links to their advertisers. You know the old saying, it's good to keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer. The left always become victims of themselves, so I have no sympathy for them or their jobs. They push for lower educational standards, to the point of where millennials graduating from high school can't even read, or maintain an attention level higher than one that requires them to read anything more than 160 characters with text lingo and acronyms. (How could you expect them to read a newspaper) For a left-leaning paper like the Star to lose readership in a city like Toronto shows you how irrelevant they've become.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Back when I started following the Argos in 1980, the Star had the likes of Wayne Parish, Rick Matsumoto, Trent Frayne and others who wrote numerous articles on the team. Seemed back then there was equal space for the Toronto sports teams. I would be surprised if we ever see that again.
    That might as well be a billion years ago. As well Wayne Parrish was one of the biggest a-holes at the epicentre of starting the anti-CFL sentiment in the Toronto media once he became the head of sports at the Star in the late 80's. It's no coincidence that it was at that time that the Toronto Star cut back heavily on Argo and CFL coverage. From 2 page previews per game the day before a game to nary a mention. Turns out he was a basketball guy that left the Star to head Basbetball Canada.