Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I might put the '87 team as the best ever.
    Yeah, well - Gretzky & Lemieux were certainly an awesome 1-2 punch for the offence on that team; BUT - i have to disagree - the 76 team just had wayyyyy more overall talent/depth; and especially on defence - Orr, Potvin, plus the Montreal big 3 (Robinson, Savard, Lapointe).

I was around to watch (live on TV) all 3 of those teams (72, 767, 87) play every game in those series'. Great hockey; I wonder if the upcoming tournament can produce some comparable great hockey ?

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah, well - Gretzky & Lemieux were certainly an awesome 1-2 punch for the offence on that team; BUT - i have to disagree - the 76 team just had wayyyyy more overall talent/depth; and especially on defence - Orr, Potvin, plus the Montreal big 3 (Robinson, Savard, Lapointe)
    Yup. By the time 87 came around we had learned how to play the Russians and that included the use of role players who could specialize. In 76 the stars were still playing the part of role players, Darryl Sittler, who was starting to come into his own wasn't sure he'd even make the team and expected to be a role player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
    Yup. By the time 87 came around we had learned how to play the Russians and that included the use of role players who could specialize. In 76 the stars were still playing the part of role players, Darryl Sittler, who was starting to come into his own wasn't sure he'd even make the team and expected to be a role player.
    We went and saw the final "Red White" team Canada selection game for the 76 Canada Cup (at the Montreal forum), what a thrill.
    The 87 team was impressive however the overall depth and quality of that roster was off the charts.
    Loved seeing another Maple Leaf (Sittler) score the big goal as Henderson had done 4 years earlier.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah, well - Gretzky & Lemieux were certainly an awesome 1-2 punch for the offence on that team; BUT - i have to disagree - the 76 team just had wayyyyy more overall talent/depth; and especially on defence - Orr, Potvin, plus the Montreal big 3 (Robinson, Savard, Lapointe).

I was around to watch (live on TV) all 3 of those teams (72, 767, 87) play every game in those series'. Great hockey; I wonder if the upcoming tournament can produce some comparable great hockey ?
    I am not old enough to remember '72 but I agree with OV that the '76 teams was the best one ever for the reasons he has provided. Rogie Vachon was phenomenal in goal too and two Maple Leafs, Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald played pivotal roles.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force