Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I was impressed with the depth of our team.... On all fronts.... Offense , defence and special teams!
    I also liked the use of the fullbacks.
    Anthony Coombs was fun to watch tonight and will be fun to watch this season. We signed him for 3 yrs? ..... I hope?
    I think Sinkfield earned his roster spot, ..... As for the RBs, whichever one we cut will be picked up by some team.

Gee it's hard to be Zach behind the Oline in Hamilton. Makes one appreciate our Oline and company, that give our QB's time to make a good choice.
    Milanovich and Brady really provide a good opportunity for QBs to learn and succeed. So the question is .....
    Will we keep Casey around? .... Only time will tell.

Lots of fun tonight, glad footballs back!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I realize that it's only a pre-season game but it's always nice to open a can of Whoopass on the Ti-Cats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    A nice problem to have (cf. Winnipeg's "international" kicker). Though (for example) the idea of more or less having to ditch one of Johnson, Slaton is quite unpalatable.
    Milo said Slaton had a hamstring problem which affected his play somewhat. Interpetation, Johnson starts and Slaton goes on the injured list for now. Steele makes it for his ST play. Sewell, Dhillon, Coombs and Sinkfield should also be newcomers on the offensive side. Defense? Buy a program I guess. Canadians Emry, Black, Gabriel, Laing, Brown, Yurichuk and Tonye should be locks. Horton and Lawrence and a whole bunch of new imports on the D. Quite the pass rush from the new DLinemen, but will have to see if they are able to stop the likes of RB's Cornish, Harris and Cable when the lights go on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Is anybody still wondering why Kiante Tripp and Robert Gill were cut, and wondering if they will be brought back ?
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Milo said Slaton had a hamstring problem which affected his play somewhat. Interpetation, Johnson starts and Slaton goes on the injured list for now.
    I hope you're right. I'm a huge Steve Slaton fan, but Johnson was sensational and IMO should be the opening day starter. Such deceptive power for a smaller back. Be great to keep all three INT backs around somehow.

I think there should be a controversy at #2 QB. I thought Mitchell Gale looked way better than Harris. Gale has improved a lot, and Harris hasn't really improved that much.

I think Darvin Adams is a lock, and I think the D-Line is going to surprise a lot of people. I would venture to say there's more raw talent on the D-Line this year then there was last year, the question is how long will it take for them to gel. Romeus and Gibson are specimens, I think they'll be back starting in the NFL in 2 years.

And it pains me to say that I think Zach Collaros is going to have a big season in the Hammer this year. His uncanny ability to elude pressure and hit an open guy is a perfect fit for a team with Andy Fantuz on it. I think Ray and Collaros will be the top 2 QBs in the League this year.

We saw some pretty good football for a pre season game last night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I listened to the game on TSN radio, sounded like a lot of spectacular plays, inparticular a run by Johnson and a catch by Sinkfield. Highlight package on CFL website is under a minute long however. Its a bit early to start sending guys back to the NFL after dominating what should be a porous Hamilton o-line.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Am I the only one who felt that the referee Kim Murphy sounded ill?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Here are the observations I tweeted out last night, for what they're worth:

1st half:

#Argos have some excellent d-linemen, lots of depth at receiver. Coombs is a real keeper. Love the no-huddle.

Starting o-line looked good, with VZ at RT and King at RG. Don't think Sewell got on the field.

Post-game:

D-line looked fantastic but difficult to say how much of that is what looked like a woeful Ham o-line.

Sinkfield is a keeper to replace Inman, but we also need to keep Bryant and Adams. And maybe Fayson as well.

All three import RBs played well enough to stay. Steele looked great on kick cvge, Johnson ran well and Slaton made a great catch/run.

Coombs played Durie's SB spot and looked like a Durie clone. He will make an impact this season. Hope Adjei sticks as well

Gale played fantastic in 3rd quarter. He could push Harris for No. 2. Looked very similar to Ricky. I left early, didn't see Casey.

The long snaps from Reinhart were all good. Benson also did some LS. Backup P/K Jasper uncorked a KO to the 5.

Seem to have decent talent and depth in the secondary. Lawrence played with the 2nd unit. Underwood and Lewis looked good.

Gabriel looked outstanding on D and ST. May be ready to start

Jas Dhillon snapped well and should stay as backup C. The bkup o-line struggled. I see Sewell, Dhillon and Lewis all staying.

Not sure about W Smith, who dressed but DNP. Not dressed were Durie, Watt, Laing, Tonye-T, Portis and Hood. Portis on the bubble.

Hate to read too much into preseason but our D-linemen really seem to have high-rev motors. One sack was a big chasedown by No. 93.

Collaros played very well for Ham. Elusive, confident and on target. Tasker and Fantuz in mid-season form.

Scary to think we have only 5k season ticket holders. Or was there an option to decline the ex game -- can't remember.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    I realize that it's only a pre-season game but it's always nice to open a can of Whoopass on the Ti-Cats.
    9 SACKS!!! Loved it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Amidst the embarrassment of riches at receiver - what about Stroud? He seems to be slipping through the cracks such that I'm not sure whether I'm just imagining there's a Stroud on the roster.
    IIRC... he showed well in the first preseason game and also arrived with the reputation of being a quality WR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Re D-line: seems like some impressive newcomers - Gibson, Romeus, Whiteside (all have some NFL roster experience) at DE; Logan Harell (very nice college ball resume) & Delano Johnson at DT - how many of these guys will they be able to keep ? - maybe all 5 new import D-linemen supplemented by Laing at DT and DE Ivan Brown (2 sack game - maybe he's coming on with his CFL experience, as he didn't impress me last season). Would be a very inexperienced CFL D-Line, but if these guys all have good motors, could be a good pass-rush D-Line, and IMO that is so important in the CFL as Ds are just not going to be consistently attacked by a strong ground game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post

Gee it's hard to be Zach behind the Oline in Hamilton. Makes one appreciate our Oline and company, that give our QB's time to make a good choice.
    I wasn't at the game last night, so I can't really comment on how bad the Cats o-line really was. One thing I will say though is that even last year when Collaros played the Argos took more sacks with him at QB than they did with Ray. I think a QB like Zach will often try to extend plays with his athletic ability rather than rely on his reads, and that will put more pressure on the o-line. I bet Austin will stress to him to start making quicker decisions to help the line out.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Maybe this needs a new thread but at this point I think we will start seven nationals:

Durie and Watt/Bradwell at receiver (where was Watt last night? I didn't see him on the sidelines)
    Holmes, Keeping and VZ on the o-line (with VZ at RT and King moving to RG)
    Emry at LB
    Black/Gabriel at safety

I expect we will use four INT d-linemen, but Brown and Laing (if healthy) will rotate in to keep fresh motors. I think Coombs will be Durie's primary backup at SB.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Both in 96 and 97 we were a sacking machine of a team along with a great O. Hopefully we are making strides to be like those teams. Have to hand it to Barker and his crew for digging up the talent to fill huge holes year after year. Now teams come and grab our qb's. WOW, what a change.

Sounds like it was a blast. Strange sitting at the Memorial Centre in Peterborough watching The Lakers. Even while in Duncan we'd listen to the games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Both in 96 and 97 we were a sacking machine of a team along with a great O.
    Have we ever had a defence that got after the QB like that since '96-'97? We have won two Grey Cups since but were among the lower ranked teams both years in sacks IIRC.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argo sack totals for last 6 championship teams:

1983- 39.0 (Rick Mohr, 15.5)
    1991- 41.0 (Mike Campbell, 13.0)
    1996- 44.0 (Rob Waldrop, Tim Cofield, 9.0)
    1997- 49.0 (Andrew Stewart, 8.0)
    2004- 41.0 (Noah Cantor, 10.0)
    2012- 27.0 (Armond Armstead, 6.0)

Some Argo teams that fell short may have actually had higher sack totals:

1984- 58.0 (James Curry, 22.0)
    1987- 61.0 (Rodney Harding, 13.0)
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Maybe this needs a new thread but at this point I think we will start seven nationals:

Durie and Watt/Bradwell at receiver (where was Watt last night? I didn't see him on the sidelines)
    Holmes, Keeping and VZ on the o-line (with VZ at RT and King moving to RG)
    Emry at LB
    Black/Gabriel at safety

I expect we will use four INT d-linemen, but Brown and Laing (if healthy) will rotate in to keep fresh motors. I think Coombs will be Durie's primary backup at SB.
    I'll guess Laing "starts" or at least plays lots in a rotation at DT - so that would be 3 NI starters on D (Emry at MLB, Gabriel/Black at S)

Who is the other starting import OT ? - he better be very good if he is going to bump King to OT - i'll believe it when i see it if whoever is there is a better OT than King.

With 3 NIs on D and only 3 on the O-Line, the Argos could think of going with only one NI "starter" (Durie) in the receiver 5 pack - which could be the way to get to the only 7 need apply bit if that is the thinking, but i'll bet on some platooning on the D-Line and the receiving corps that sees some NIs with playing time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Argo sack totals for last 6 championship teams:

1983- 39.0 (Rick Mohr, 15.5)
    1991- 41.0 (Mike Campbell, 13.0)
    1996- 44.0 (Rob Waldrop, Tim Cofield, 9.0)
    1997- 49.0 (Andrew Stewart, 8.0)
    2004- 41.0 (Noah Cantor, 10.0)
    2012- 27.0 (Armond Armstead, 6.0)

Some Argo teams that fell short may have actually had higher sack totals:

1984- 58.0 (James Curry, 22.0)
    1987- 61.0 (Rodney Harding, 13.0)
    That 87 team of course went to the GC (in IMO one of the greatest GC games ever) and had a very good D - Harding along with Kulka and Baylis on the D-Line and other defensive stalwarts like Pless, Moen, Pleasant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That 87 team of course went to the GC (in IMO one of the greatest GC games ever) and had a very good D - Harding along with Kulka and Baylis on the D-Line and other defensive stalwarts like Pless, Moen, Pleasant.
    IMO, the '87 Grey Cup was THE greatest GC of all time although the Argos lost a heartbreaker. I really liked that '87 team a lot although there weren't high expectations coming out of camp, especially with a new and untested quarterbacking brigade. The defensive line in '87 was a solid one. I did not realize that they had 61 sacks that year. Impressive indeed!
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I'll guess Laing "starts" or at least plays lots in a rotation at DT - so that would be 3 NI starters on D (Emry at MLB, Gabriel/Black at S)

Who is the other starting import OT ? - he better be very good if he is going to bump King to OT - i'll believe it when i see it if whoever is there is a better OT than King.

With 3 NIs on D and only 3 on the O-Line, the Argos could think of going with only one NI "starter" (Durie) in the receiver 5 pack - which could be the way to get to the only 7 need apply bit if that is the thinking, but i'll bet on some platooning on the D-Line and the receiving corps that sees some NIs with playing time.
    If Laing is healthy, it probably does make sense to list him as a starter and have eight in total -- much more roster flex that way. He and the INT d-lineman could all be shuffled in and out frequently.

The starting o-line last night had Rogers at LT and King at RG, with VZ at RT. I'm assuming since that unit started (and played well in the first quarter), that is the way they're starting the season. King always played right tackle last year; Rogers and Washington rotated at LT. I wasn't too high on Rogers last year but it's possible he has developed into a high-quality LT. He certainly looked solid there last night. The o-line starters all looked comfortable pepping up and tutoring the rookies on the sideline, as did Chiu who looks like an excellent addition to the coaching staff.

If they do find a way to always play three INTs on defence, it would allow them to make better use of the embarrassment of riches they seem to have at receiver. As everyone here knows, I like Watt, but I think Adams or Bryant would be an upgrade over him. Sinkfield definitely has to find a spot in the lineup, maybe ahead of Barnes altho the latter scored an easy TD last night on a play that looked identical to Cedric Minter's game-winning TD in 1983.