Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The fact that Nathan Rourke has cleared waivers TWICE this season and no other NFL team has claimed him tells us all how the NFL views CFL quarterbacks today. That league's ignorance is our league's gain as it was in the 70s with black QBs, later on with small QBs and now our QBs in general. Nathan was the best QB in pre-season down there, and there are so many NFL teams with QB problems and nobody wants to pick him up is the definition of insanity. We all know that Chad and Nathan can play down there and be at worst a #2. It appears the opportunity given to CFL QBs is quite different from others.
    The good thing is the Argonauts have given Chad a contract here that he will likely only break to be a pure #2 in the NFL. No practice roster position like what Nathan is going through. I agree with you Buffalo makes sense on one level, but NFL teams do not seem to like to push their #1s. Nathan should be the #2 in Jacksonville, the #1 there specifically wants to work with the #2 there for weekly game prep, etc...He is not interested in being pushed.
    We will see how it all plays out.
    The way Rourke has cleared waivers this year on 2 occasions gives me hope that we will see him back in the CFL again. The NFL still has some serious bias issues it still needs to overcome. I would much rather see Rourke break records here and play than sit on the sidelines as a number 2 which seem light years away. His talents are being wasted.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    The fact that Nathan Rourke has cleared waivers TWICE this season and no other NFL team has claimed him tells us all how the NFL views CFL quarterbacks today. That league's ignorance is our league's gain as it was in the 70s with black QBs, later on with small QBs and now our QBs in general. Nathan was the best QB in pre-season down there, and there are so many NFL teams with QB problems and nobody wants to pick him up is the definition of insanity. We all know that Chad and Nathan can play down there and be at worst a #2. It appears the opportunity given to CFL QBs is quite different from others.
    The good thing is the Argonauts have given Chad a contract here that he will likely only break to be a pure #2 in the NFL. No practice roster position like what Nathan is going through. I agree with you Buffalo makes sense on one level, but NFL teams do not seem to like to push their #1s. Nathan should be the #2 in Jacksonville, the #1 there specifically wants to work with the #2 there for weekly game prep, etc...He is not interested in being pushed.
    The way Rourke has cleared waivers this year on 2 occasions gives me hope that we will see him back in the CFL again. The NFL still has some serious bias issues it still needs to overcome. I would much rather see Rourke break records here and play than sit on the sidelines as a number 2 which seem light years away. His talents are being wasted.
    This is the question... for Rourke and Kelly. I think Kelly wants to play and compete, more than anything else. And if that means he foregoes bigger money in the NFL to be a back-up, he will stay. If it is about money, and a potential long-shot to play, then he goes. But I believe he will stay, and work to build a legacy as one of the greatest QB's to play in the CFL. His name being mentioned in the same conversations as Flutie, Holloway, Ray, Jackson, Moon etc. will ultimately bring much more personal satisfaction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post

Well said dude. The Rourke example is glaring.

However - this season there are some real questionable, iffy. weak QBs getting to actually start in the NFL - mostly due to injuries - some teams have had to play raw rookies or bring-in mediocre resume QBs from other teams and actually play them; so there is still a remote chance, IMO, that one of those NFL QB poor teams reach out to Kelly as a guy who could maybe help. Still doubtful, but the QB situation down there this season may have a couple of teams even thinking about changing their myopic / ignorant attitudes towards a top CFL QB.