Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
That is an interesting read. All of the player safety proposals seem as obvious as the nose on my face. It would be really nice to see more transparency in negotiation from the league.
I agree that the player safety proposals are good, but unfortunately the fans are already presuming that the league does not agree with them. All that has been said is that the league has tabled it for now, perhaps to give it more study.
The compensation plan for career ending injuries is a tremendous idea, but is naive and unworkable. The proposal does not take into account either the players time of service in the league nor the time of the year when the injury occurred. It also does not provide any mechanism for the determination of whether an injury is "career ending" or not.
I take the case of Chad Kackert whose ankle injury may prove to be career ending. Had he been injured in the first game of the season, he would have received almost a year of salary to recover. As it stands, unless he goes on 9 game injury reserve, he will get almost nothing. If the doctors say to him, it's risky but you can resume playing if you want to, is it a career ending injury if he retires?