Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    We clearly have a very solid defence, with some depth altho not as much as I'd like at DE and DB. Six Game 1 defensive starters are out and the D still played well on Friday. We have had good pressure on the QB the past two games, so Butler's absence isn't as noticeable as it might have been. We've been able to get key stops to force FGs or punts at times. That's something to build on and it should allow us to stay competitive in games against eastern teams. If RR gets healthy and we can get the o-line working at at least an average level, we should be able to stay in the playoff hunt all year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We clearly have a very solid defence, with some depth altho not as much as I'd like at DE and DB. Six Game 1 defensive starters are out and the D still played well on Friday. We have had good pressure on the QB the past two games, so Butler's absence isn't as noticeable as it might have been. We've been able to get key stops to force FGs or punts at times. That's something to build on and it should allow us to stay competitive in games against eastern teams. If RR gets healthy and we can get the o-line working at at least an average level, we should be able to stay in the playoff hunt all year.
    The team would look even better if we made some key catches, probably resulting in another win or two. I like our Cdn receiver depth. With all the dropsies, Williams, Jones, Noel should all be playing/starting, IMO. It would open up possibilities for a stronger line in the future. I do like the illustration of Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie that Shirley used. The Bills line "gelled" when Flutie played, LOL. A mobile QB makes the line look so much better. Ray is a great QB, but no way does he roll out and make a play like Fajardo did last game. Not fair to ask for Flutie, if we had someone like Collaros (pre-concussion), I think the team would be looking pretty solid. Not trying to start that debate again, the line just isn't good enough for a pocket passer like Ray.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    The team would look even better if we made some key catches, probably resulting in another win or two. I like our Cdn receiver depth. With all the dropsies, Williams, Jones, Noel should all be playing/starting, IMO. It would open up possibilities for a stronger line in the future. I do like the illustration of Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie that Shirley used. The Bills line "gelled" when Flutie played, LOL. A mobile QB makes the line look so much better. Ray is a great QB, but no way does he roll out and make a play like Fajardo did last game. Not fair to ask for Flutie, if we had someone like Collaros (pre-concussion), I think the team would be looking pretty solid. Not trying to start that debate again, the line just isn't good enough for a pocket passer like Ray.
    The o-line needs to be better for sure, but it was good enough for RR to average nearly 400 yards a game for six weeks. Are you suggesting it's bad enough to bench him in favour of Collaros.

As for the receivers, if you really want to start Williams, Noel and Jones, which INTs would you sit? Green? Edwards? Posey (when healthy)? Fuller? Paden? Don't get me wrong, I think Williams and Noel have bright futures, and maybe Jones as well (altho he has hardly played in a season and a half), but IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction to demand they play just because our other receivers have dropped some passes. Yes, we have dropped a lot of passes this season (every single starting receiver is guilty), but there's nothing magical about those other guys.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    The o-line needs to be better for sure, but it was good enough for RR to average nearly 400 yards a game for six weeks. Are you suggesting it's bad enough to bench him in favour of Collaros.

As for the receivers, if you really want to start Williams, Noel and Jones, which INTs would you sit? Green? Edwards? Posey (when healthy)? Fuller? Paden? Don't get me wrong, I think Williams and Noel have bright futures, and maybe Jones as well (altho he has hardly played in a season and a half), but IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction to demand they play just because our other receivers have dropped some passes. Yes, we have dropped a lot of passes this season (every single starting receiver is guilty), but there's nothing magical about those other guys.
    Fuller has dropped enough passes this season to be replaced by one of the NATs IMO.
    As a U of T alumnus myself, I would like to see what Noel could do if given a game or two as a receiver.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos have four excellent receivers-Green, Edwards, Coombs and Posey (when healthy). Fuller has dropped a fair number of passes but more concerning is his inability to get separation. Paden is reasonably capable but Ottawa thought he was replaceable and his play to date seems to confirm their evaluation. The team has Williams, Noel, Jones and even Ralph, who could play as the 5th receiver and play as well as Fuller and Paden have been playing. That also provides the added benefit of being able to dress another International player on the OL or DL.

A win on Saturday puts us right back into the fight for first pace but a loss would be the fourth in a row and could start a slide. Let's hope for a good crowd but more importantly a win.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The Argos have four excellent receivers-Green, Edwards, Coombs and Posey (when healthy). Fuller has dropped a fair number of passes but more concerning is his inability to get separation. Paden is reasonably capable but Ottawa thought he was replaceable and his play to date seems to confirm their evaluation. The team has Williams, Noel, Jones and even Ralph, who could play as the 5th receiver and play as well as Fuller and Paden have been playing. That also provides the added benefit of being able to dress another International player on the OL or DL.

A win on Saturday puts us right back into the fight for first pace but a loss would be the fourth in a row and could start a slide. Let's hope for a good crowd but more importantly a win.
    Argos have also deemed Paden replaceable as he was released today:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/15/argos-...-khalil-paden/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post

Not a surprise. Wasn't used much anyways.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level

This is under, what took them so long. New guy Sanders must have shown something. Just maybe the move to starting one or more of the young Canadians is finally going to happen and Washington goes in at one of the Guard positions. I say one, as maybe he and Campbell playing LT & LG side by side would be stronger on the left side with Holmes going over to RG. I haven't been bowled over by the play of McEwen when it comes to the ground game either. Don't see much of as surge when they try to run up the middle.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Perhaps Posey is ready to play again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

Aside from Green and Edwards, any other International I'm good with replacing. The Cdns might not be magical, but they can't do any worse. I'm thinking the only way to help the OL is adding Americans, probably by NFL cuts and playing our Cdn receivers could allow this.

It seems there are always OL problems everywhere in the league. Quarterbacks like Ray are too hard to protect. If the line can't improve, a mobile QB would help. Hamilton's OL looks worse, Collaros has little time, but I think a player like him would be doing ok here.