Thread: Argo Sale

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    The cities approval of the proposal is currently on the condition that MLSE secure funds from both the provincial and federal governments:

I can see both the provincial and federal governments reasons for not contributing as they really gain nothing out of the deal. The $10 million from city is a reasonable request since they own the place and will make the money back. What I found interesting in the proposal was this:

As far as I can remember in all the reporting about this the number was $90 million from MLSE but if they're contributing $115 million, what do they need the extra $20 million from the province and feds for? They appear to have $5 million more than they need or can I not add? $115 million from MLSE plus $10 million from the city equals $125 million, no?
    Money to buy the Argos?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Post Braley in no hurry to sell

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think the time has come to lock this thread!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    While I like the idea of the Argos playing in an intimate stadium on natural grass, some of the recent facts of the BMO deal are troubling.

The Argos need a caretaker/owner who is dedicated to preserve and promote the CFL and Canadian football. I'm not sure MLSE fits that bill.

For starters, it doesn't seem like they want to own the Argos very badly. I realize negotiations are ongoing and MLSE doesn't want to tip their hand, but these are the facts:

- MLSE held a board meeting in late December and they could not come to an agreement to purchase the Argos.

- MLSE CEO Leiweke said 3/14/14: "As to us buying them, on a stand-alone basis, we have no interest in the Argos. But because of the uniqueness of what we have to go through to get the stadium, we are certainly intertwined. The definition of intertwined is forthcoming."

- MLSE CEO Leiweke said 3/24/14: The MLSE board has approved the renovations, including "a CFL solution" as per the City's mandate. "It does not mean that our owners have approved us owning the Argos," added Leiweke. "That's still a separate decision and we'll follow their lead."

Then there's the lukewarm welcome Leiweke has laid out for the Argos at BMO. For example:

- only 2 Argo logos in the field which will be covered up for all other events.
    - Argo banners and signage only on Argo game days, then will be removed.
    - natural grass field with astroturf in the endzones (just like the Shreveport Pirates).
    - probable lack of Argo revenue from concessions, parking, sponsorship signage, naming rights, etc.
    - lack of designated tailgate area (which should be negotiated by ownership with CNE).
    - CEO pushing for Argos games to be held the day after a TFC game, to maximize turf recovery time for next TFC game (but the fact is soccer is harder on grass than football, so where's the concern for a lush Argos field?)
    - TFC is the prime tenant at BMO, the Argos are secondary.
    - red seated stadium for the double blue?

Perhaps MLSE are the only ownership option but Argo fans need to be vigilant and vocal with their concerns, just like TFC fans who seem to have MLSE's ear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    TFC is the prime tenant at BMO, the Argos are secondary.
    This is the part i like the least....
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    This is the part i like the least....
    Is it better to be a "secondary" tenant to a team that plays 16 to 20 home games per season (correct me on that number if I am wrong, T-Bone) or one that plays 81 homes games per season?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    While I like the idea of the Argos playing in an intimate stadium on natural grass, some of the recent facts of the BMO deal are troubling.

The Argos need a caretaker/owner who is dedicated to preserve and promote the CFL and Canadian football. I'm not sure MLSE fits that bill.

For starters, it doesn't seem like they want to own the Argos very badly. I realize negotiations are ongoing and MLSE doesn't want to tip their hand, but these are the facts:

- MLSE held a board meeting in late December and they could not come to an agreement to purchase the Argos.

- MLSE CEO Leiweke said 3/14/14: "As to us buying them, on a stand-alone basis, we have no interest in the Argos. But because of the uniqueness of what we have to go through to get the stadium, we are certainly intertwined. The definition of intertwined is forthcoming."

- MLSE CEO Leiweke said 3/24/14: The MLSE board has approved the renovations, including "a CFL solution" as per the City's mandate. "It does not mean that our owners have approved us owning the Argos," added Leiweke. "That's still a separate decision and we'll follow their lead."

Then there's the lukewarm welcome Leiweke has laid out for the Argos at BMO. For example:

- only 2 Argo logos in the field which will be covered up for all other events.
    - Argo banners and signage only on Argo game days, then will be removed.
    - natural grass field with astroturf in the endzones (just like the Shreveport Pirates).
    - probable lack of Argo revenue from concessions, parking, sponsorship signage, naming rights, etc.
    - lack of designated tailgate area (which should be negotiated by ownership with CNE).
    - CEO pushing for Argos games to be held the day after a TFC game, to maximize turf recovery time for next TFC game (but the fact is soccer is harder on grass than football, so where's the concern for a lush Argos field?)
    - TFC is the prime tenant at BMO, the Argos are secondary.
    - red seated stadium for the double blue?

Perhaps MLSE are the only ownership option but Argo fans need to be vigilant and vocal with their concerns, just like TFC fans who seem to have MLSE's ear.

I agree, if this has any basis and being MLSE I would tend to believe such conditions which is noting more then we already have at the crap dome.
    Maybe Mr. Braley should pursue Vaughan and Mississauga a lot more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I agree, if this has any basis and being MLSE I would tend to believe such conditions which is noting more then we already have at the crap dome.
    Maybe Mr. Braley should pursue Vaughan and Mississauga a lot more.
    Maybe Mr. Braley has $200M of his own money to spend there. Otherwise it ain't happening.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Maybe Mr. Braley has $200M of his own money to spend there. Otherwise it ain't happening.

The last time I looked BMO still remains the property of the taxpayers.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The last time I looked BMO still remains the property of the taxpayers.
    BMO Field is property of the City of Toronto and your post is off topic. Can we please keep this thread dedicated to the sale of the Argos and the BMO Field stuff in the BMO Field thread, they are separate topics.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry to activate this thread again.... Hopefully it stays on topic.

Has anyone heard or read anything? ...... From twitter .... CFL_news

"Word around is that David Braley has dropped his selling price for #Argos #CFL team ..." via @simmonssteve via @TheTorontoSun
    1:24pm - 21 Apr 14

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Sorry to activate this thread again.... Hopefully it stays on topic.

Has anyone heard or read anything? ...... From twitter .... CFL_news

"Word around is that David Braley has dropped his selling price for #Argos #CFL team ..." via @simmonssteve via @TheTorontoSun
    1:24pm - 21 Apr 14

And just what is his asking price for the Argos? - i guess whatever he can get, but holding out for big bucks may limit this transaction to a big corporate entity like MLSE - who might be willing to over-pay to add the Argos as another pawn (i.e. not that important) in their empire.

I guess some are going to be happy with the Argos sold to whoever ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And just what is his asking price for the Argos? - i guess whatever he can get, but holding out for big bucks may limit this transaction to a big corporate entity like MLSE - who might be willing to over-pay to add the Argos as another pawn (i.e. not that important) in their empire. I guess some are going to be happy with the Argos sold to whoever ?
    The Argos need an owner who is committed to growing the franchise. Braley has done a good job stabilizing it but I don't see him as the person to take the Argos to the next level.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Argos need an owner who is committed to growing the franchise. Braley has done a good job stabilizing it but I don't see him as the person to take the Argos to the next level.
    MLSE committed to growing the franchise? - OK - i guess so. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And just what is his asking price for the Argos? - i guess whatever he can get, but holding out for big bucks may limit this transaction to a big corporate entity like MLSE - who might be willing to over-pay to add the Argos as another pawn (i.e. not that important) in their empire.

I guess some are going to be happy with the Argos sold to whoever ?
    IIRC he was rumoured to be asking $20 Million for the Argonauts and $50 Million for the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    The City's Executive Committee report on the proposed renovation and expansion of BMO has been posted on the City website.
    (Sorry, I may not have posted the links properly).

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgen...em=2014.EX39.4

What's really interesting is the background report/letter from MLSE: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-67468.pdf

There are a few things that stick out, though I just did a very quick read:
    1. There is no indication that MLSE will necessarily be the Argos owner, but nothing to say that they won't.

2. scheduling is mentioned in there, but mostly in terms of conflicts with the CNE.

3. When it comes to signage, there is an interesting bit in there about changes to the signage at Maple Leaf Square. Seems unusual to change the signage at MLSE owned Maple Leaf Square unless you are going to add an Argos emblem.

4. City, province, Feds to chip in $10 million each, remaining $90 million from MLSE

5. anticipated that Argos will be at BMO for 2015

6. Agreement is dependent in part on MLSE securing a 20 year lease with the Argos; must be settled by May 15
    Not much time left for that last condition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    >implying that it wasn't agreed to months ago.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd imagine they are feverishly working behind the scenes negotiating a BMO lease until the May 15th deadline. If no deal, the Argos will have to look at building another stadium. I know it's "impossible" but most people said that about the Argos moving to BMO (because it was a soccer-only stadium and MLSE won't allow it and the City won't allow it and Soccer Canada won't allow it and MLS won't allow it and TFC fans won't allow it, and so on...I guess pigs can fly!)

If the Argos are moving to a new stadium next year, regardless of ownership they need to start marketing that soon. Normally in the season leading up to a new stadium, teams try to sell season ticket packages which guarantees them a similar seat next season. BMO has reduced capacity so there should be some demand for tickets. The Ticats successfully did this in 2012, selling ticket packages which guaranteed fans a seat at the Guelph and THF. The Ticats had over 90% capacity in 2012 and 13.

All we can confirm about the Argos sale is that MLSE is out as a stand-alone operator this season. MLSE still may be intertwined with the Argos leasing BMO or MLSE chairman Tannenbaum purchasing the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If no deal, the Argos will have to look at building another stadium. I know it's "impossible" but most people said that about the Argos moving to BMO (because it was a soccer-only stadium and MLSE won't allow it and the City won't allow it and Soccer Canada won't allow it and MLS won't allow it and TFC fans won't allow it, and so on...I guess pigs can fly!)
    I guess they can't. I am extremely confident in my belief that there will not be another stadium built.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I guess they can't. I am extremely confident in my belief that there will not be another stadium built.

I on the other hand am not so sure, if so I hope a proper stadium is built and not akin to a high school bleacher like facility?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I on the other hand am not so sure, if so I hope a proper stadium is built and not akin to a high school bleacher like facility?
    Beggars can't be choosers, I you think someone will ante up $200+ million for another new stadium your dreaming, especially with a viable solution and location staring the Argos in the face.