Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Clearly, they are not reading the market correctly still, I will eat my hat (not literally, as I like my hat ) if they have more STH next year than this year -- this season ticket base will drop significantly next year, I highly doubt that any significant amount of "new STH" are joining the fray after this year, what about the product would entice you to buy seats in 2017 if you didn't have seats in 2016? a few perks that are way less buzzworthy than last off-season's idea of a "new stadium", better atmosphere, chance to get GC tickets, almost all of which did not come to pass in any well publicized way other than that the new stadium was better for football than the last one. The press was all negative about it being empty (why do I need to buy seats in advance again? and the GC thing was screwed up badly and needed fixing almost immediately which pissed many people off), based on the many people I've spoken to (collectively about 100STs), many existing STH are going to be dropping seats that they thought would have some added value based on the move to BMO, and many simply are just not renewing at all as the perceived value is not there for their entertainment dollar --- in Toronto as someone rightly mentioned above, there are just too many options out there to spend one's entertainment money on - if there is no "buzz" about this being an "event", people just won't go in this city....the product unfortunately will not just sell itself, as much as us CFL lovers would like to believe......the fact that they are not marketing the crap out of this to families and such is beyond me --- you should be able to buy a ticket for $10 or less to take a kid under 14 (?) to a game, get young people into your product, before they become older and jaded about the the state of the CFL and whether they perceive it to be a "second rate" league compared to the NFL (whether we like it or not, Toronto has a "major league" mentality), as once that mindset kicks in, it is hard to change. Again, I'm a CFL fan, but I am around College aged kids all the time and we actually had the Grey Cup come to our school recently, and literally there was no buzz whatsoever to even go and take a picture with the trophy this past week -- I literally just walked up and could spend as much time as I wanted with it (which was quite cool frankly!!) and almost no one was even bothering with this important piece of Canadian history right in front of them, it was quite sad actually, the kids were having more fun throwing a football around than actually learning anything about the CFL (no one I spoke to could even name a current Argos player) -- there was literally a table there with a chart explaining the rule differences between the CFL and the NFL....ummm, if our league is so awesome to begin with why are we having to teach people the rules from a 100+ year old league in relation to one that is only 50+ years old....it's because people aren't actively engaged in their product, the kids liked "Football", just not this type of football, it was really sad for someone who is a long time CFL lover to see......

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    Clearly, they are not reading the market correctly still, I will eat my hat (not literally, as I like my hat ) if they have more STH next year than this year -- this season ticket base will drop significantly next year, I highly doubt that any significant amount of "new STH" are joining the fray after this year, what about the product would entice you to buy seats in 2017 if you didn't have seats in 2016? a few perks that are way less buzzworthy than last off-season's idea of a "new stadium", better atmosphere, chance to get GC tickets, almost all of which did not come to pass in any well publicized way other than that the new stadium was better for football than the last one. The press was all negative about it being empty (why do I need to buy seats in advance again? and the GC thing was screwed up badly and needed fixing almost immediately which pissed many people off), based on the many people I've spoken to (collectively about 100STs), many existing STH are going to be dropping seats that they thought would have some added value based on the move to BMO, and many simply are just not renewing at all as the perceived value is not there for their entertainment dollar --- in Toronto as someone rightly mentioned above, there are just too many options out there to spend one's entertainment money on - if there is no "buzz" about this being an "event", people just won't go in this city....the product unfortunately will not just sell itself, as much as us CFL lovers would like to believe......the fact that they are not marketing the crap out of this to families and such is beyond me --- you should be able to buy a ticket for $10 or less to take a kid under 14 (?) to a game, get young people into your product, before they become older and jaded about the the state of the CFL and whether they perceive it to be a "second rate" league compared to the NFL (whether we like it or not, Toronto has a "major league" mentality), as once that mindset kicks in, it is hard to change. Again, I'm a CFL fan, but I am around College aged kids all the time and we actually had the Grey Cup come to our school recently, and literally there was no buzz whatsoever to even go and take a picture with the trophy this past week -- I literally just walked up and could spend as much time as I wanted with it (which was quite cool frankly!!) and almost no one was even bothering with this important piece of Canadian history right in front of them, it was quite sad actually, the kids were having more fun throwing a football around than actually learning anything about the CFL (no one I spoke to could even name a current Argos player) -- there was literally a table there with a chart explaining the rule differences between the CFL and the NFL....ummm, if our league is so awesome to begin with why are we having to teach people the rules from a 100+ year old league in relation to one that is only 50+ years old....it's because people aren't actively engaged in their product, the kids liked "Football", just not this type of football, it was really sad for someone who is a long time CFL lover to see......
    Why do you not use paragraphs or line breaks in your very long posts?

Also, for correctness, the NFL became the NFL in 1922. The CFL became the CFL in 1958. The NFL is the league that is almost 100 years old while the CFL is the one that is a bit older than 50 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post

Also, for correctness, the NFL became the NFL in 1922. The CFL became the CFL in 1958. The NFL is the league that is almost 100 years old while the CFL is the one that is a bit older than 50 years.
    Splittings hairs??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos 1983, makes an excellent point about inexpensive tickets for young people. Either through a sponsor, such as a grocery chain, as AngeloV suggested or directly from the organization. How about having local high school teams that have won a championship presented on field, before the game or at halftime - imagine their folks, relatives and friends would be pleased to be there to see that, especially if the can buy tickets at a reduced price. The team has to create a buzz and get bums on seats!! Copeland needs to be creative.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

While true, Canadian football has its origins much much older than 50 years. Some would say the CFL was pretty much in existence when there was ORFU and the other leagues like the IRFU. It just wasn't called the CFL until 1958.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I'd much rather have poor sentence structure than crappy subject matter. I'm good with his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Even among high school and local rep football teams, a number of the players have a disdain for CFL players. I can trace that back to the parents who openly trash the league. Doesn't bode well for the future of the league in the CFL.
    And I'll go back to what I have been saying for years. Society today equates quality with revenue and salaries. Really is sad. Since many players in the NFL make more money than an entire teams cap in the CFL, they look down upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Well I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that season ticket numbers are going down next season.
    I think they will increase again. IMO, they haven't even scratched the surface in corporate and group sales. Everything just seemed so rushed in 2016.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'd much rather have poor sentence structure than crappy subject matter. I'm good with his posts.

And I'll go back to what I have been saying for years. Society today equates quality with revenue and salaries. Really is sad. Since many players in the NFL make more money than an entire teams cap in the CFL, they look down upon it.

I think they will increase again. IMO, they haven't even scratched the surface in corporate and group sales. Everything just seemed so rushed in 2016.
    I don't see how that's going to be enough to make up for the losses:

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Does anyone else think that season ticket numbers are going down next season?

No Grey Cup

Team was terrible in 2016

Traded away the first overall pick for an average QB

BMO Field novelty has worn off

People know that there will be lots of tickets available for every game

In season ticket pricing promotions

Alienated some of the existing season ticket holders

Some season ticket holders increased their number of season tickets from the Rogers Centre and will now decrease the number back down

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I had a similar experience with my son's high school. I offered to sponsor "Huddle Up". There was no interest at all from the school even though there are a number of CFL players who live locally.

Students have no knowledge or interest in the CFL, but find the NFL cool. My son's teacher openly challenged my son's contention that the SkyDome was built for the Blue Jays AND Argos. Fortunately my son's knowledge is greater than this person in authority.

I remember a similar situation 35 years ago, but there was a baseline of Argos/CFL.

Even among high school and local rep football teams, a number of the players have a disdain for CFL players. I can trace that back to the parents who openly trash the league. Doesn't bode well for the future of the league in the CFL.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    ...we actually had the Grey Cup come to our school recently...
    I was going to ask if anyone was surprised or confused by the inscription -- "Amateur Rugby"?! -- but I guess from your description almost no one bothered to look at it.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.C. View Post
    I was going to ask if anyone was surprised or confused by the inscription -- "Amateur Rugby"?! -- but I guess from your description almost no one bothered to look at it.
    Sadly no one was looking that closely....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that season ticket numbers are going down next season.