Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I wouldn't. NFL Network is competing against ESPN for the rights. The audience for CFL games on ESPN was very promising this year, and they added extra games mid-season. June and July is a dead zone for US sports -- that's one-sixth the entire year -- and the networks are desperate for good content. There are so many football fans down there, it's not too far-fetched to imagine they could grow their viewership for CFL games over a few seasons, given the right presentation and good scheduling.
    Personally, I think many on here have overvalued what CFL rights are worth in the US. For starters, ESPN pays next to nothing for the current rights, and I highly doubt that a bidding war will emerge for a league that has no teams in the United States.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Personally, I think many on here have overvalued what CFL rights are worth in the US. For starters, ESPN pays next to nothing for the current rights, and I highly doubt that a bidding war will emerge for a league that has no teams in the United States.
    I was wondering just how much the CFL is getting from ESPN now. When it all started we heard it was next to nothing just for the exposure. But as the viewership has grown maybe there is some money coming to the CFL now. Reason I say that is there seems to be more money available now for more Coaches and more high profile US Head Coaches. Trestman is rumoured to be making in the 600-700,000 range. June Jones and Mike Sherman wouldn't be coming to the CFL for 250,000 IMO.
    Then all of a sudden people with big money are interested in putting a team in Halifax. I think something is in the wind. The old saying money always talks.
    Good for the CFLP as that should translate into a much higher salary cap in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    The old saying money always talks.
    Good for the CFLP as that should translate into a much higher salary cap in 2019.
    Again, I'll believe it when I see it. The PA got taken to the cleaners in the last round of barg. The CFL's lead negotiator is one of the smartest mgmt.-side labour lawyers in Cda, and the PA has the historical problem of being divided, with INTs and NATS often on different sides of the issues, and with different interests. The league and its owners are in the business of making money so they will not give a lot away without a fight. No doubt a raise will be forthcoming, and maybe we'll even have a labour disruption to force a deal, but I'll be surprised if the cap goes up a lot.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The CFL usually gets better ratings on ESPN than MLS does. Right now ESPN is paying 37.5 Million USD a year for those MLS rights.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...html?mobi=true

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The CFL usually gets better ratings on ESPN than MLS does. Right now ESPN is paying 37.5 Million USD a year for those MLS rights.

The MLS' tv deals (ESPN, Fox, Univision) aren't just for the MLS though, it includes tv rights for the Men's and Women's National teams, so a chunk of that money goes to the USSF. The USSF needs the MLS to be successful, so they combined the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ergo CFL should get more than $37.5M for US TV rights . . . Except MLS has teams in the U.S., many of its franchises have book values way higher than CFL franchises, and soccer is both a worldwide sport and perceived even in North America as a growing venture. I will be surprised if the CFL gets even $10M/season from any new US TV deal.
    The MLS' regular season ratings are similar to the CFL's (Playoffs: the MLS pushes well ahead), but I think you're right, $10 million US would be surprising. Heck, I'd love to see a $20 million US deal, and for the next Canadian rights deal to be $100 million, but being hopeful and realistic are two different things sometimes.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    The MLS' tv deals (ESPN, Fox, Univision) aren't just for the MLS though, it includes tv rights for the Men's and Women's National teams, so a chunk of that money goes to the USSF. The USSF needs the MLS to be successful, so they combined the rights.

The MLS' regular season ratings are similar to the CFL's (Playoffs: the MLS pushes well ahead), but I think you're right, $10 million US would be surprising. Heck, I'd love to see a $20 million US deal, and for the next Canadian rights deal to be $100 million, but being hopeful and realistic are two different things sometimes.
    I think there are things in play right now and moving the season was also for a US TV deal. Just reading between the lines. There is an 8 month NFL gap currently and the CFL can fill some of that in the US with summer football. Football on a Football Network - seems to be a calling. I was hoping CFL would let TSN know what they want from a US TV deal and let TSN negotiate it with ESPN and NFL networks or anyone else. TSN could also use it to showcase their brand. Making the right moves now will only grow the CFL in the US.

If CBA moves to 8 - 10 million it does change how it would be viewed in the US college ranks as it could move all active roster players to $100K +. We might even have our 1st $1M dollar player in a long while

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    I think there are things in play right now and moving the season was also for a US TV deal. Just reading between the lines. There is an 8 month NFL gap currently and the CFL can fill some of that in the US with summer football. Football on a Football Network - seems to be a calling. I was hoping CFL would let TSN know what they want from a US TV deal and let TSN negotiate it with ESPN and NFL networks or anyone else. TSN could also use it to showcase their brand. Making the right moves now will only grow the CFL in the US.

If CBA moves to 8 - 10 million it does change how it would be viewed in the US college ranks as it could move all active roster players to $100K +. We might even have our 1st $1M dollar player in a long while
    Moving the start of the CFL season earlier could mean more CFL games televised in the US. There were even less CFL games televised on ESPN this year, I think there were only two games televised after the NFL season started on ESPN2. The East and West semis were televised on ESPN2 and the East final, when I tuned into watch the West final it was switched to the ESPN News channel and I would need the higher sports package to watch it.
    ESPN & ESPN2 are on the basic sports package for most providers in the US.
    The fact that ESPN will televise very few CFL games after August leads me to believe that the CFL ratings are terrible after NCAA/NFL begins. Americans are starved for football in June/July but then love their NCAA/NFL beginning in August with the pre-season.
    But ALL CFL games are streamed on ESPN3, but there is no way of knowing how many people stream since only TV viewers are rated by Nielsen.

I can't see the CBA being raised, why would the owners of teams that are losing money hand over any increase in TV revenue to the players? some of the owners have been losing money for years and to turn over any increase to the players would be crazy.
    Players need to realize that you are not going to get rich playing in the CFL, it's pretty good pay for 5 months work. If you want a million dollars then use the CFL as a prep to build your resume for a return to the NFL.

As someone stated above, the way that viewing has changed and millions cutting the cord, no guarantees that there would be an increase in the TV contract.
    It is unbelievable how most young people don't watch TV anymore they stream on their tablets/phones etc.
    The CFL TV ratings are down 300k from 2011.

Maybe the CFL will sell streaming rights to make up for ratings losses.
    Last edited by Flutie; 01-23-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Forgot to mention that this MLS deal was signed in May 2014.