Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No arguments about those being great multi-year teams, but IMO the discussion is and should be about single-season performance. We are not talking about the 2022-23 Argos, or the 2023-2027 Argos, but about this year's team. The 1996 and 1997 Argos had many common elements, as did the 1978-82 Eskimos, but they also had lineup changes every season. IMO the 1997 Argos were a much stronger team than the 1996 Argos, even though they had identical records.
    Ok, so I'd go with the 68 Ottawa Rough Riders, 84 Bombers, 82 EE, & 97 Argos as single best single season teams - all GC winners and each team loaded with all-star or HOF type talent - and these twin factors are the best markers IMO.

If it was just about measuring wins in total on the season, then this 16 & 2 team if it wins the East & GC would be 18 & 2 in total, and thus gets the award ? I just don't see this Argo team (especially with some key players out with injury/whatever) as anywhere near as proven talented as those teams I list above.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Ok, so I'd go with the 68 Ottawa Rough Riders, 84 Bombers, 82 EE, & 97 Argos as single best single season teams - all GC winners and each team loaded with all-star or HOF type talent - and these twin factors are the best markers IMO.

If it was just about measuring wins in total on the season, then this 16 & 2 team if it wins the East & GC would be 18 & 2 in total, and thus gets the award ? I just don't see this Argo team (especially with some key players out with injury/whatever) as anywhere near as proven talented as those teams I list above.
    Doesn't this make what the Argos have done (so far) this year even more impressive?

One thing I will say unequivocally is that this is the deepest team I have ever seen in Canadian professional football, regardless of what happens in the post-season. Of course, roster size is much larger today than it was back in the 1980s or 1990s but it's still amazing to see how deep this Argos team is.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Doesn't this make what the Argos have done (so far) this year even more impressive?

One thing I will say unequivocally is that this is the deepest team I have ever seen in Canadian professional football, regardless of what happens in the post-season. Of course, roster size is much larger today than it was back in the 1980s or 1990s but it's still amazing to see how deep this Argos team is.
    This Argo coaching staff is just far superior to those on most other teams in the league IMO; and that, much more than talent or depth on the roster, is what makes them league best, IMO. The factor of coaching smarts: game plans, play-book & calling, adjustments AND roster selection/deployment - is just not appreciated enough for the game of football, IMO. Dinwiddie & Mace, and co. over-match/dominate all other teams (except maybe the Bombers) in football smarts.