Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Many moons ago there was 1 or sometimes 2 games during the CNE, when the Argos played at the EX. I always enjoyed those games (and some wrestling events) very much. That said, i'd suggest that during the CNE maybe it would be better to throw in a lesser draw than the Cats to maximize attendance?
    Considering Labour Day is the last day of the CNE I doubt we'll see a Ti-Cats vs. Argos game during the CNE but I'm sure there will be at least one Argos game while it is on each year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Considering Labour Day is the last day of the CNE I doubt we'll see a Ti-Cats vs. Argos game during the CNE but I'm sure there will be at least one Argos game while it is on each year.
    I agree, but in my abstract memory, the CNE may have gone for longer, or always had at least 1 Argo game, and maybe 2. It was pre blue jays/pre wrestlemania
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree, but in my abstract memory, the CNE may have gone for longer, or always had at least 1 Argo game, and maybe 2. It was pre blue jays/pre wrestlemania
    I went to my first game in 1978 and became a regular in 1980. There was always 1 Arogs game during the CNE in my time going (yearly the game I most looked forward to), but this was all post Blue Jays arrival, and they (Jays) played a lot of afternoon games in the summer during the CNE.

Funny thing I remember from back then, they would usually have a concert or some other event scheduled at night during the CNE, and as such, the Blue Jays games had a 5pm curfew before being suspended if not completed yet. Good luck having MLB allow that today, and furthermore, how low we became going from a 2-3 hour conversion window back then to 36 hours in the dome these days.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I like the idea of having Labour Day in Hamilton and Thanksgiving in Toronto. I don't like them playing 4 or 5 days later. With Labour Day and Thanksgiving you have 2 important fall day games when the schedule likely means the games have alot of importance to standings. Once a 10th team joins the East, there will be a home and away for each team, which means that the 2 games played will matter, be important and can be hyped up to really mean something with your most hated rival.
    Thumbs up to that!! I would love every Thanksgiving Monday play the TiCats at BMO.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I went to my first game in 1978 and became a regular in 1980. There was always 1 Arogs game during the CNE in my time going (yearly the game I most looked forward to), but this was all post Blue Jays arrival, and they (Jays) played a lot of afternoon games in the summer during the CNE.

Funny thing I remember from back then, they would usually have a concert or some other event scheduled at night during the CNE, and as such, the Blue Jays games had a 5pm curfew before being suspended if not completed yet. Good luck having MLB allow that today, and furthermore, how low we became going from a 2-3 hour conversion window back then to 36 hours in the dome these days.
    Those HOT SUMMER days and nights at the CNE, getting in for free with an Argo ticket were pretty amazing. If some of the younger folks can relive that magic, the moving to BMO will be worth it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The CNE was only a couple of days longer for a period of time starting in the 80's when it lasted for 20 days starting on the Wednesday. They thought it would help attendance when it started slipping after Wonderland opened up. It eventually went back to 18 days, starting as it traditional did on the Friday 2 weeks before Labour Day weekend.

The Argos always had one, sometimes two a year. I remember working at the EX as a teen and buying a ticket from a scalper in the 2nd quarter for a $1 to watch part of an Argo game during my 1 hr break. Had to leave before the end obviously but for a buck I saw part of the game vs the Ticats and a very memorable dog show at halftime. (The dogs are always a hit) For a buck it was a great way to spend an hour.

Trivia for some of the Argo fans who watched games at the CNE during the EX. As mentioned, they played the Ticats. I remember being told by a fan that Paul Osbaldistan kicked the game winning FG.....Without dating myself, as I've already have..... What year was it? I actually know, but it scares me...because time flies.

Other big games during the EX...remember listening to CFRB in 1982, when the Argos beat Ottawa 35-25. Chris Isaac, not the singer, but the QB for Ottawa said he'd throw for 400+ yards against the Argos D, but only got 209. Argo fans had started invading the field after Argos wins since the big win vs Edmonton before the CNE opened. They did it again that game.

Gill Fenerty I beleive had his big 200 yd plus rushing game in a 33-17 win vs the Stamps in 1988. I believe that game was during the EX in late August. I believe it's still the Argos single game rushing record.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    1987 I believe ---- do I get a prize.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    That was also the final time that the Argos drew 30k+ to old Exhibition Stadium. They have shown that game on ESPN Classics a few times and it was a lively crowd on hand for a good game.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    And speaks again:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...ate-magic.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Sounds like this is a good guy to have in charge.

I'm surprised the seating it can hold at 27,600 is that high.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

So far I like what I hear from copeland sounds like he has a idea to how badly this franchise is in right now and looks to have a direction and a vision to where he wants to take this team going forward. As well it seems he isn't to afraid of doing some actual work when it comes to the Argos which is saying a lot compared to other employees the Argos have had in the past. One small thing I didn t like was his comparison to cfl players as not being the best football players in the world he should try to promote the cfl and Argos as a different league with different set of rules and a different type of athlete to play in the cfl.
    Not sure about getting 20,000 season ticket holders I am sure they will be giving away a lot to corporate sponsors and the like but as far as getting your regular sports fan into buying seasons this team has a long way to go before they could hit that Mark. I sure hope they do get to that number but find it hard to believe they will. But best of luck to him I sure me and many other die hard Argo fans will be pulling for him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    How can any Argo fan not get excited by these comments from Copeland? Sounds like real tailgating is a go. That's at least 5,000 extra fans per game right off the bat IMO. My guess is they've made a deal to use part of the Ontario Place parking lot, that thing's huge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Sounds good. He wants game day to be spectacular. If they pull it off in year one with 27600 at every game and keep it up in following years they will create that demand with scarce supply of seating which will also drive more TV viewers. 1st year attendance should be okay because of GC and BMO novelty and the renewed marketing push. It will be about blowing everyone away in year one and these folks and media telling everyone about the experience. Eventually you will have people coming down exclusively for the tailgating and festival atmosphere. A mini CNE 9 times a year. When was the last time an Argo organization actually tried to sell tickets in a coordinated way? 10 years ago with C&S. A city of 4 million GTA. Done right and sticking to it every year and refining it they should be able to create 27600 fans for 9 games. Get the rival fan bases involved. Can you imagine Hamilton Ottawa Montreal Saskatchewan fan bases wanting to invade and setup their own tailgates. Especially at GC. This why I can't wait for the 10th team. The scedule becomes interlocking with just 1 home game against each team. As much as I hate Hamilton we get them once and that game becomes a very big deal and will deepen the rivalry and intensify when the playoffs arrive. Can't wait. IS IT JUNE YET?
    Last edited by Scooter McCray; 11-21-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Sounds good. He wants game day to be spectacular. If they pull it off in year one with 27600 at every game and keep it up in following years they will create that demand with scarce supply of seating which will also drive more TV viewers. 1st year attendance should be okay because of GC and BMO novelty and the renewed marketing push. It will be about blowing everyone away in year one and these folks and media telling everyone about the experience. Eventually you will have people coming down exclusively for the tailgating and festival atmosphere. A mini CNE 9 times a year. When was the last time an Argo organization actually tried to sell tickets in a coordinated way? 10 years ago with C&S. A city of 4 million GTA. Done right and sticking to it every year and refining it they should be able to create 27600 fans for 9 games. Get the rival fan bases involved. Can you imagine Hamilton Ottawa Montreal Saskatchewan fan bases wanting to invade and setup their own tailgates. Especially at GC. This why I can't wait for the 10th team. The scedule becomes interlocking with just 1 home game against each team. As much as I hate Hamilton we get them once and that game becomes a very big deal and will deepen the rivalry and intensify when the playoffs arrive. Can't wait. IS IT JUNE YET?
    I am with you looking forward to June. Need a fast forward button . I am not interested in the tailgating but if that draws more fans and fills the place up I am good with all of it. I love the Canadian style of game. I like all aspects of the sport better than any other so whatever it takes as long as the game is the same. It sounds like they are going to spend money on promoting the team and getting things done right. I hope they do not handcuff Barker in getting the talent we need to play at home for the Grey Cup. Now wouldn't that be awesome!!! Host the Eastern Final and then play at home for the Cup! Wow, I think my fast forward button got stuck!!!
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    You are correct, sir. If we could go back in time, the prize I'd give you is the Spuds Mackenzie stuffed dog from the Budweiser commercials that were the most popular during that '87 CNE. As it is now, you just get deserved recognition. I think I've noticed that game on ESPN Classic as Ravi mentioned, but didn't realize that was their last game with 30k at the CNE. The same 2 teams would draw just over 21,000 for an East Semi-Final at CNE that November. That paltry figure was so startling as it had been the smallest attendance for an Argo home game in decades that it became the lead story for the 6pm news on CFTO. I never forgot that, and from then on games at CNE stadium drew small crowds. In the final year at CNE in 1988, 25,000 was the highest regular season total during an August home date with Hamilton. The East Final in '88 did see over 27,000 which was still disappointing for a division final.

Argo-Ticat games at the EX were pretty raucous affairs as the crowd would really get into it. I remember a guy who was just slightly over-served, okay, maybe downright pissed...lol, slurring about the Ticat fans on that old wide walking concourse halfway between the stands along the first baseline near section 4....that section wasn't exactly the family friendly zone..lol

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I appreciate such a classic prize.....

I actually won one of those giant stuffed German Shepherd looking dogs before going to a game - it was about 3 feet tall --- they actually let me walk in and sit the dog in an empty seat beside me....now a bottle of water is scrutinized and we go through airport security....back then....bring whatever you want.....how times have changed.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I appreciate such a classic prize.....

I actually won one of those giant stuffed German Shepherd looking dogs before going to a game - it was about 3 feet tall --- they actually let me walk in and sit the dog in an empty seat beside me....now a bottle of water is scrutinized and we go through airport security....back then....bring whatever you want.....how times have changed.....
    At the EX we would bring sleeping bags (usually with a bottle of rye rollled inside). An order these jumbo cokes that actually came with little cups. It was a very different time. But that was before they served beer in the stadium.

The endzone seats when the cats were in town, were like sitting in a UFC octagon

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    You are correct, sir. If we could go back in time, the prize I'd give you is the Spuds Mackenzie stuffed dog from the Budweiser commercials that were the most popular during that '87 CNE. As it is now, you just get deserved recognition. I think I've noticed that game on ESPN Classic as Ravi mentioned, but didn't realize that was their last game with 30k at the CNE. The same 2 teams would draw just over 21,000 for an East Semi-Final at CNE that November. That paltry figure was so startling as it had been the smallest attendance for an Argo home game in decades that it became the lead story for the 6pm news on CFTO. I never forgot that, and from then on games at CNE stadium drew small crowds. In the final year at CNE in 1988, 25,000 was the highest regular season total during an August home date with Hamilton. The East Final in '88 did see over 27,000 which was still disappointing for a division final.

Argo-Ticat games at the EX were pretty raucous affairs as the crowd would really get into it. I remember a guy who was just slightly over-served, okay, maybe downright pissed...lol, slurring about the Ticat fans on that old wide walking concourse halfway between the stands along the first baseline near section 4....that section wasn't exactly the family friendly zone..lol
    That '87 East Semi-Final seemed to spur the Star's John Robertson on as well as he was waving the Argo flag for the next couple of weeks and telling Torontonians about how they needed to support this great tradition again.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Sounds like this is a good guy to have in charge.

I'm surprised the seating it can hold at 27,600 is that high.
    I agree, Copeland so far is saying the right things and there's very little doubt that both Copeland and Ms. Moore have the credentials for the job.

As for the stadium, I believe anything over 25,000 (not including standing room or premium seats) at this point in time is a bit high and I have my doubts that the Argonauts can sell that amount on a regular basis, but if Copeland has a plan and executes, all the power to him, the executive team and ownership. I doubt very many, if any would complain about a full house of loud and proud Argonaut fans cheering on the double blue.