Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Player/roster content in the CANADIAN Football League is now over 50% American/import. Total up key football decision making positions (GM, Director of personnel, HC & all coaches) on CFL teams, and it's probably 75% or more American. Not American enough for you? Would you like to see it change to even more American content? Why not? After all, "I just want to see the "best" " players and coaches get to play in, and run the CFL.
    I'm pretty happy with the status quo.

Jingoistic nationalist nonsense may be in fashion, but that doesn't make it any less foolish than it was a few years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the status quo.

Jingoistic nationalist nonsense may be in fashion, but that doesn't make it any less foolish than it was a few years ago.
    Yet the 'Radically Canadian' marketing campaign was probably the most successful marketing campaign that the league has ever run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm all for lowering the ratio, and I think if (and it's a big if) Halfiax comes on board that it'll be necessary. All one has to do is watch one weekend of NCAA vs Usports to see that there is a difference in level of play...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'm all for lowering the ratio, and I think if (and it's a big if) Halfiax comes on board that it'll be necessary. All one has to do is watch one weekend of NCAA vs Usports to see that there is a difference in level of play...
    I still wouldn't lower the ratio. Canadian players are less likely to leave the league after a bit of success. You need continuity or the league will be nothing more than one of those spring leagues down south that nobody cares about.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I still wouldn't lower the ratio. Canadian players are less likely to leave the league after a bit of success. You need continuity or the league will be nothing more than one of those spring leagues down south that nobody cares about.
    But they are talking about lowering the starters to 5 from 7, it makes sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Does anyone doubt, if Russ Jackson was graduating from Mac this year, that it's unlikely he would get a fair chance of playing as a QB, with today's rules and culture?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'm in 100% agreement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agree, it is the Canadian football league after all.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    But they are talking about lowering the starters to 5 from 7, it makes sense.
    Who's they?

Media is talking about that. I don't think the PA would ever go for it, and I for one hope they don't. If it were up to me, I would actually raise the minimum to 8 and mandate that minimum 4 should be on the field at all times (offence, defence and ST's) while at the same time making QB's count as Nationals. The argument against this is the theory that there aren't enough good Canadian players. I will argue that with playing time, the Canadian players would get better to the point that you wouldn't even think whether it's a Canadian or American on the field.

I will never argue the fact that most American players out of college are better than most Canadian players out of college. But I will say that Canadian players for the most part improve a lot while on CFL rosters. They are playing catch up because of the fact that they play much less football growing up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Who's they?

Media is talking about that. I don't think the PA would ever go for it, and I for one hope they don't. If it were up to me, I would actually raise the minimum to 8 and mandate that minimum 4 should be on the field at all times (offence, defence and ST's) while at the same time making QB's count as Nationals. The argument against this is the theory that there aren't enough good Canadian players. I will argue that with playing time, the Canadian players would get better to the point that you wouldn't even think whether it's a Canadian or American on the field.

I will never argue the fact that most American players out of college are better than most Canadian players out of college. But I will say that Canadian players for the most part improve a lot while on CFL rosters. They are playing catch up because of the fact that they play much less football growing up.
    For the first 15 years of my CFL fandom, I wanted to see the League return to 10 CDN starters, but over time and through watching a lot of CIS and NCAA football, I realized that there just isn't enough CDN talent to stock 9 or 10 teams. Could some of these lower end CDN players develop over time ? Absolutely, but a lot of them won't, and by keeping them around for 3-5 years, it essentially is wasting a roster spot IMO. Coaches are in win now mode, the CFL is not a development League, it's the Pro's, and considering the CFL doesn't have a D League, the best players should play - just like in the real world the most qualified and best people for the job should get the opportunity, no matter race, creed, religion, gender, or passport IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    For the first 15 years of my CFL fandom, I wanted to see the League return to 10 CDN starters, but over time and through watching a lot of CIS and NCAA football, I realized that there just isn't enough CDN talent to stock 9 or 10 teams. Could some of these lower end CDN players develop over time ? Absolutely, but a lot of them won't, and by keeping them around for 3-5 years, it essentially is wasting a roster spot IMO. Coaches are in win now mode, the CFL is not a development League, it's the Pro's, and considering the CFL doesn't have a D League, the best players should play - just like in the real world the most qualified and best people for the job should get the opportunity, no matter race, creed, religion, gender, or passport IMO.
    Yeah, I have to disagree with you on that. I think there are more athletic Canadian players now than ever before. Brad Sinopoli is a prime example of a guy that developed, and I have to admit, even Julian Feoli-Gudino has. This would never have happened if they lowered the number of starters. As I mentioned above, I really think they need to make sure at least 4 Canadians are on the field at all times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah, I have to disagree with you on that. I think there are more athletic Canadian players now than ever before. Brad Sinopoli is a prime example of a guy that developed, and I have to admit, even Julian Feoli-Gudino has. This would never have happened if they lowered the number of starters. As I mentioned above, I really think they need to make sure at least 4 Canadians are on the field at all times.
    For every Brad Sinopoli there's a Bryan Burnham, Manny Arceneaux, Derel Walker, Greg Ellingson, SJ Green, etc. And that's the problem IMO. I'll leave it at that, because I know this debate will just go in circles... I'm shocked a certain you know who hasn't come after me yet lol.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    For every Brad Sinopoli there's a Bryan Burnham, Manny Arceneaux, Derel Walker, Greg Ellingson, SJ Green, etc. And that's the problem IMO. I'll leave it at that, because I know this debate will just go in circles... I'm shocked a certain you know who hasn't come after me yet lol.
    Understood, but for every one of those stars you mention, there have been dozens that have come and gone, which IMO isn't good for the league. If you develop more Canadian players that become starters, the league reduces the amount of player turnover, thus having a better connection with the local fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    I wish the Argos had drafted Kwaku Boateng - not only is he an Ontario product who might have been very proud to wear the Double Blue; but he is also an excellent DE talent - and IMO clearly, easily, hands down, a far better DE than the 2 import mediocres the Argos trotted out to hand starting jobs to most of last year. And that is what a lot of people just do NOT grasp on this matter - that the Canadian system produces SOME outstanding talent that is pro ready (and sure, pretty well all young players need to learn and improve as pro rookies) and that can be better than some average type import players competing at the same position in the league. It just needs a real, honest chance to compete in a CFL TC - at all positions and not be hand-cufffed by CFL GOB 7 only need apply thinking. This is what QBs like O'Connor or Merchant will face if they hope to get to play in the pro league in their own country. Andrew Harris - out of Canadian Junior ball = clearly a far, far better, more talented and more productive RB than dozens of American (super hero NCAA trained types) who have got to play in the CFL in the same time frame Harris has been in the league. Ottawa might trot out a weak talent like Moises Madu this year at tailback instead of giving Gillanders or another Canadian RB a real shot - even though Gillanders clearly showed he is the far better ball carrier when they played in the same offence. This bias towards imports is deeply ingrained in the CFL system.

Boateng was written-off and passed over by all CFL scouts because of this general lack of respect for Canadian talent - often at specific positions (Canadian O-linemen sure get looked at lots though). But keep being dismissive of Canadian talent in general - it's the trained seal CFL way - and this will allow teams to keep missing out on specific, individual Canadian talent (Ottawa kid who just broke the all-time PRO consecutive FG record was undrafted) - it's the GOB myopic clowns way. The ratio will probably be lowered in Randy's new CFL 2.0 deal - makes me want to puke.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-12-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Does anyone doubt, if Russ Jackson was graduating from Mac this year, that it's unlikely he would get a fair chance of playing as a QB, with today's rules and culture?
    With today's culture, there's a good chance he would have gone to a U.S. prep school and a U.S. college, so maybe his first pro chance would be in the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Anyone who knows Russ personally, knows education was his first priority and he would in all likelihood still have attended a Canadian university. While playing he was promoted to vice principal and soon after his retirement became a highly respected principal and had an outstanding career as such.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    If Boateng was written off and passed over, what does that make the guys drafted before him?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Anyone who knows Russ personally, knows education was his first priority and he would in all likelihood still have attended a Canadian university. While playing he was promoted to vice principal and soon after his retirement became a highly respected principal and had an outstanding career as such.
    All true at the time. But if he was coming of age today he might have had opportunities that didn't exist then, and that lack of those of opportunities may have influenced his desire for higher education. If a guy that talented was leaving high school today, he'd have schools on both sides of the border recruiting him, some offering full-ride scholarships, and he'd have talent scouts telling him he could make the NFL some day. So his choices might be different than the ones he actually made.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You might well be right, Paul. We shall never know unless he is asked some day. Russ was (and is) a man who made decisions on his on terms. He turned down a Rhodes Scholarship to tryout for football. He also left while still in his prime in order become a Secondary School principal. Think we can agree he is a man of principles and much to be admired.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If Boateng was written off and passed over, what does that make the guys drafted before him?
    ??? - higher draft picks maybe ?

Guess you don't get the point? The usual suspects are always pi$$ing and moaning about the "thin" Canadian talent pool for the CFL (and thus they bleat for more Americans and reducing Canadian content), yet outstanding college ball players like Boateng or Jordan Herdman get passed over by all CFL teams repeatedly in the draft; and yet when they get to play in the CFL it is clear they are very good, starting calibre players, and easily better than some imports playing the same position in the league; that dullard Desjardins in Ottawa could have selected both those guys in their draft year, and they would be solid starters on the RedBlacks D now (both better than what they had at the positions last season); but better to favor whatever imports he can find at those "import only" positions, and draft back-up H-backs or long-snappers instead ? Mind numbing myopia, IMO. Luckily for Desjardins, they stumbled across local kid place kicker in their own backyard (undrafted though) and he goes on to set all-time pro FG kicking accuracy #s; they might have ended up with an American kicker - with a name US college ball resume, and a "stronger" leg though.