Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It takes a brave and visionary front office to replace a great but aging QB with a green but exceptional talent.

The Packers did it with Aaron Rodgers.

The Colts did it with Andrew Luck.

And now the TiCats have done it with Collaros.

So tell me ArgoFans, who's got a better chance now to have great quarterbacking in 5 years time, the Argos or the TiCats? Any reasonable person will say Hamilton does. We had a chance here to build something long-term with a QB we've developed on our own. But, sadly, there's no guts or vision in the front office. After Ricky's gone, get ready for many more years of the CleoLemon/Cody Pickett-type revolving door at QB, while Hamilton now has a chance for a Calvillo-like run at QB.

I hope you're all happy now.
    So it's a given that ZC will be as good a replacement QB in the CFL as Rodgers and Luck are in the NFL? I think the jury's still out on that. He is talented, but only time will tell if he's closer to being the next Anthony Calvillo or the next Steven Jyles.

As for which team will have better quarterbacking in five years, I note that Collaros signed a three-year deal. He could be coming into free agency right around the time Ricky Ray is ready to retire or move into a mentoring role. If he's as great as you think he is, why would he reup with Hamilton before testing the free agent waters?
    Last edited by paulwoods13; 01-30-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So it's a given that ZC will be as good a replacement QB in the CFL as Rodgers and Luck are in the NFL?
    I never said that. I said their GMs faced a similar situation that Barker did. Those guys had no guarantees that Rodgers or Luck would pan out at all. But they took the chance and rolled the dice and dumped their great but aging QBs. That's where the courage comes into play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I never said that. I said their GMs faced a similar situation that Barker did. Those guys had no guarantees that Rodgers or Luck would pan out at all. But they took the chance and rolled the dice and dumped their great but aging QBs. That's where the courage comes into play.
    Tillman also showed courage when he traded Ricky Ray for Steven Jyles. Peter Pocklington showed courage when he traded/sold a "diminishing asset" named Gretzky. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm happy to have kept the proven commodity, still just 34 years old, over the unproven 25-year-old with great potential. If the latter turns out to be as good as he seems he might become, this decision might end up being a mistake. If the former keeps playing at his current level, it likely won't. And again, Collaros is locked into the Ticats for just three years, so if he's as great as you think he will be, we can go after him when his contract expires.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And again, Collaros is locked into the Ticats for just three years, so if he's as great as you think he will be, we can go after him when his contract expires.
    I think we can be reasonably certain that Diamond Jimmy Barker has already planted this seed with Collaros. There are certain "perks" available in Toronto that they can't offer in the Hammer. What a wild scenario that would be, at a time maybe when both the Cats and the Argos are experiencing a revival with sellouts at their respective stadiums?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think we can be reasonably certain that Diamond Jimmy Barker has already planted this seed with Collaros. There are certain "perks" available in Toronto that they can't offer in the Hammer. What a wild scenario that would be, at a time maybe when both the Cats and the Argos are experiencing a revival with sellouts at their respective stadiums?
    A lot of Argo players have left on good terms, something that Barker excels at. Of course, it always comes down to money, and if Collaros commands a good salary in three years, the Argos will sure be able to provide that. This is a huge gamble to hand a starting job over to Collaros. It will sure be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm happy the Argos are a contending team, who won the 100th Cup. They acquired a great backup with Collaros and let's hope they can do it again.