Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    It's a day off, but also a weekend where much of suburban Toronto takes off to a cottage. Combined with an early start that means it'll be hotter, I'll guess 22K but with a lot of no shows. It seems to me summer long weekends are a tough sell (Labour Day being different as more people stay close to home with school starting).

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    i think we will be close to 25,000, but being a 5pm game on a holiday and not 1pm or even 3pm, do you think that might hamper the numbers?
    I think 5 is better than 1 or 3, it's been a hot summer and at least it'll start to cool off late in the game. Personally, I think 7 would be better. It's not like the next day's a school day or anything, and it'd be cooler. Then again, I've never enjoyed afternoon sports at all, to the point I often skip those games, so I'm biased!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Wonder if we could get to 27,000 in attendance ...... With it being family day, and a long weekend, and the Argos are tied for first...... Good combo

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure if BC has ever drawn very good crowds in TO. I know there won't be any Lion fans there. Not many travel. I was surprised to see some in Calgary. I hope we get 25,000.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I suspect we'll see a couple of Lion fans come out of the woodwork as they are the defending Grey Cup champions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I bought prime 200 level seats from someone going away that weekend. Summer holiday weekends unfortunately are a great excuse to miss a game. There is only so many long weekends for us to enjoy.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I never bought the excuse of summer weekends. While having seasons my schedule revolved around the Argos. Even living out west we plan everything around CFL tv games which pretty much means we do squat other than shopping for grub. My wife and I just love CFL ball. We have friends that have talked about taking us out on there nice boat but don't even ask because of out CFL passion. My view might change if we are lucky enough to get waterfront in the Peterborough area when we move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I never bought the excuse of summer weekends. While having seasons my schedule revolved around the Argos. Even living out west we plan everything around CFL tv games which pretty much means we do squat other than shopping for grub. My wife and I just love CFL ball. We have friends that have talked about taking us out on there nice boat but don't even ask because of out CFL passion. My view might change if we are lucky enough to get waterfront in the Peterborough area when we move.
    Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, there are only so many diehards in any sport. The teams (and leagues) that are successful, make it on hooking the casual fan more often.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm like you. But there's lots that aren't like us, unfortunately. I agree, if you have a sold out building and a large, passionate fan base, it's not a factor. But.....unfortunately, that's not the case here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Only way to improve that is start winning. Hopefully we will be able to do that this year.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Toronto is a hard nut to crack. When I started going to games in the early 70's the Argos were toast of the town and the thing you did in summer before hockey season started. That held true with good support until Skydome when the Argos made there biggest mistake. As I've mentioned before instead of giving very long time season ticket holders a shot to purchase their same type of seats at Skydome they opened it up for everyone. That one move lost so many fans. These were the oldtime fans who had primo seats for decades. The type of folks who's kids all followed the team. Then they thought that just because there was a big new stadium it would be filled. They've never been able to recover and frankly their marketing has pretty much always sucked. If companies like McDonalds,Pepsi and Coke still have to advertise in a big way don't you think the Argonauts would have to? These are companies known by everyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Toronto is a hard nut to crack. When I started going to games in the early 70's the Argos were toast of the town and the thing you did in summer before hockey season started. That held true with good support until Skydome when the Argos made there biggest mistake. As I've mentioned before instead of giving very long time season ticket holders a shot to purchase their same type of seats at Skydome they opened it up for everyone. That one move lost so many fans. These were the oldtime fans who had primo seats for decades. The type of folks who's kids all followed the team. Then they thought that just because there was a big new stadium it would be filled. They've never been able to recover and frankly their marketing has pretty much always sucked. If companies like McDonalds,Pepsi and Coke still have to advertise in a big way don't you think the Argonauts would have to? These are companies known by everyone.
    I agree that was a huge mistake, but truth be told, their attendance at CNE was not great at the end. The last 2 years their, they went to the Grey Cup in '87 and went 14-4 in '88 and still couldn't draw 24k. It's almost as if after the 31 year drought, when they won the cup in '83, people stopped coming out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree that was a huge mistake, but truth be told, their attendance at CNE was not great at the end. The last 2 years their, they went to the Grey Cup in '87 and went 14-4 in '88 and still couldn't draw 24k. It's almost as if after the 31 year drought, when they won the cup in '83, people stopped coming out.
    I was at the 83 East Final, it was sold out. I went to the 2nd game of the total point Eastern Final in 84 & had a sinking feeling in my stomach as I could not help but notice all the empty seats. I can't recall the attendance in 84, but it was far from sold out.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I was at the 83 East Final, it was sold out. I went to the 2nd game of the total point Eastern Final in 84 & had a sinking feeling in my stomach as I could not help but notice all the empty seats. I can't recall the attendance in 84, but it was far from sold out.
    You are thinking of 1986 Gil; the '84 Eastern Final drew 48,000 I believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    You are thinking of 1986 Gil; the '84 Eastern Final drew 48,000 I believe.
    Perhaps you are right...I do recall the game I am speaking of was Joes Barnes last in an Argo uniform...he was unhappy about Obie's offence....something about not being a robot.....

PW, AV Ravi, AT or any other Argo fan vet, please feel free to join in....

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Barnes did leave the Argos after the 1984 season. The Argos lost that game 14-13 in OT to Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Barnes did leave the Argos after the 1984 season. The Argos lost that game 14-13 in OT to Hamilton.
    Yes, a rainsoaked game, I think Hamilton db Felix Wright had 4 pics...but as AV pointed out, fans stopped coming out after the 83 season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A horrible game all around. IIRC, Holloway had a TD drive on the first series of that game, and was injured later in the first quarter. Joe Barnes worst performance ever as an Argo. Add some very questionable coaching decisions by Obie, and it was a horrible day--the one that comes to mind was last play of regulation time, in a tie game, rather than let Ilesic try a 48 yard field goal, he elected to try and punt for a single. Argos should have won the cup that year as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    A horrible game all around. IIRC, Holloway had a TD drive on the first series of that game, and was injured later in the first quarter. Joe Barnes worst performance ever as an Argo. Add some very questionable coaching decisions by Obie, and it was a horrible day--the one that comes to mind was last play of regulation time, in a tie game, rather than let Ilesic try a 48 yard field goal, he elected to try and punt for a single. Argos should have won the cup that year as well.
    Yeah, that team was probably as good, certainly close to as good, as the 1983 Argos. They had lost Minter, Mohr and a few others, but most of the pieces were still there. The decision to try for the punt single drove me nuts. I got home that day and I was so mad I slammed the front door hard enough to break the window.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yeah, that team was probably as good, certainly close to as good, as the 1983 Argos. They had lost Minter, Mohr and a few others, but most of the pieces were still there. The decision to try for the punt single drove me nuts. I got home that day and I was so mad I slammed the front door hard enough to break the window.
    That decision still makes me angry. The Argos were a far superior team to the Ticats and there is no way that they should have lost that game. BTW, as argofan87 stated, there were 48k at that '84 EF. It was in '86 for the second game of the EF that the Argos/Ticats drew a little over 32k. There had been 54k for the '83 EF so there was a significant drop-off in playoff attendance in a very short time.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force